Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Tamiya Scale Rock Crawlers > Tamiya XC/CC01

Notices

Thread: Finally Got My CC-01 Wrangler Done

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2012, 06:13 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Finally Got My CC-01 Wrangler Done

Well, I finally did it. I went scale. And I love it. I like the challenge of driving something that will not just tackle anything, within reason, thrown in front of it (ahem Wraith owners )

Overall, it was an easy kit to assemble and everything went together well for the most part. I didn't see the note in the separate pamphlet about the updated servo installation instructions, so I just kinda made that work. Getting the SCX front bumper on wasn't to bad. I trimmed off the stock bumper, carved out a little bit off the front of the body mount on the chassis and scalloped out some holes for the shafts that stick trough on the SCX bumper itself.

Getting the body looking good, on the other hand, was a hassle. I apparently need to get an airbrush. I think that would have made things a lot easier. I tried it with a rattle can and ended up with bleeding through my tape all three times. In the end I blasted it yellow and brushed the trim black.

Parts installed so far:

CC BEC
HH BRXL ESC
HH 35T torque master
Hitec 645MG servo
Zippy 5700mah 2s Lipo
Axial SCX-10 Front Bumper
Tamyia Tundra(?) Wheels and RC4WD Rock Creepers

Things to come:
Junfac 4-Link Kit
Junfac Drive Shaft
Junfac 75mm Piggy-Back shocks
(maybe Axial SCX-10 Rear Bumper)
A bunch of scale accessories (no roof rack, I think they are silly, even in real life)
Maybe a winch, just because it looks cool.

Here are some crappy pictures for now. I will get some trail shots sometime in the future.

Overall, I have to say, one of the best trucks out of the box that I have owned in a while. Looks great right from the get go. Handles well, especially since I locked the front and rear diffs. So far my only issue is that it gets hung up on everything because of the lower links poor design. But that should be fixed some with the 4-link kit and the better shocks.
FireWire79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-08-2012, 07:11 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Finally Got My CC-01 Wrangler Done

I think it looks great! They are fun trucks and upgrades are endless. I agree with you on the roof rack, they look silly.
SFC K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 09:49 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Looks nice. Do you have any vids? I'm thinking of a cc01 because I want a little more challenge too.
Manfjourde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 10:22 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Sweet Jeep, lots of nice parts already installed and more to come. I look forward to some pics of new bling!
derb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 03:40 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

So some small changes have been made. I picked up a set of Junfac Beadlocks for the rig, as I wanted to able to switch out tires with out needing to buy new rims. I added some weights to the front wheels. (8 tabs total, don't remember the weight, just that there are 8 of them) Also I fabbed up a front skid after I cut the brick out. These changes really helped the CC01 perform much better on the trail. I finally noticed the steering slop that everyone has been talking about and I definitely need to do something about that in the near future. I guess I will get some GPM arms for the front so that I can at least have some sort of consistent camber/caster angle.

The only thing left to add is the Junfac 4-link kit, and I plan on getting some of the 75mm reservoir shocks that they make as well. It's not that I have a thing for Junfac, its just that they make good parts.

Here are some pics from today, just to show that it really does work, and to make up for the ones from the office that I posted last time.

Old 09-30-2012, 02:13 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

Looking great mate, first time I've seen those beadlocks in the chrome and I quite like it on your rig. I do have to warn you off those shocks though. They are indeed the nicest shocks I've ever felt, but they are so fat/wide they don't clear anything in the front suspension. They look like every other normal sized shock in the pics but once you get them you will be upset unless you want to start getting custom. Literally anything else will be fine, RC4WD, Proline, Axial, etc.
Old 09-30-2012, 02:27 AM   #7
RCC Addict

Yeh agreed the car looks great, and also on the shock dilemma.

The internally sprung transitions are the perfect width but are 90mm, used these loads to great effect on scx10's but too long for a cc01 I recon.
All their externally sprung shocks are huge on width, and when I used them had real trouble.
Not sure you get Ansmann parts your side of the pond but their 75mm metal shocks are great and the cheapest I've ever seen.
I'm putting them on mine soon.

Fusion Hobbies - Ansmann Racing 75mm Aluminium Dampers x2 - 201000037

Last edited by northernerbill; 09-30-2012 at 02:36 AM.
northernerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 01:46 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Thanks for the advanced warnings then. I will look into other shocks that fit my length requirement. I won't run 90mm shocks as they would just be way to long. I will look into having those shocks shipped across the pond to me, I don't mind shipping, if its the only choice.

Also, do you know if the internally sprung Transitions will fit? I can find them in 80mm at RC4WD, and they may be a good alternative.

Last edited by FireWire79; 09-30-2012 at 02:23 PM.
Old 09-30-2012, 02:42 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Well those shocks are internally sprung with 2 springs in each, so you can run it in droop or full height. So set to droop you'll have a few mm upward movement but most of the travel will be away from the chassis so could work really well.
northernerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 03:57 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

I'm pretty sure the GMade Transitions are also just as 'fat' as all their other shocks. I run the RC4WD internally sprung shocks and they are awesome for droop and very 'thin' even compared to normal shocks. And with a set of their scale shock boots you'll have a very cool and realistic setup.
Old 10-12-2012, 07:27 AM   #11
RCC Addict

Thats sweet, I need to build me one of these!
HDMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 08:08 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

You can run longer shocks, and even get a bit of suspension lift out of a CC-01, but it takes some aftermarket and custom parts. RCChannel makes a complete metal front suspension kit for one of these. Look at this build thread, it's pretty much the ULTIMATE suspension set-up for a CC-01.

project: Heavy Metal Hummer

THis is the BADDEST CC-01 build I've ever seen. (yours is pretty sweet too!)
JavelinSST390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 08:59 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Thank you for the link. I know that there are some great CC01 builds from long before I got mine, but, since I never saw them, I have no idea how to find them, as they are way buried.
Old 10-13-2012, 07:25 AM   #14
Rock Stacker

I started at the back end of this section and just worked my way to the front, saw a ton of awesome old stuff
abailey21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Finally Got My CC-01 Wrangler Done - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
HPI 4dr Wrangler VS. ProLine 4dr Wrangler heinie_21 Paint and Body 4 12-14-2011 11:36 AM
my jk wrangler scxtmiya 1.9 Scale Rigs 2 07-13-2011 09:19 AM
my jk wrangler scxtmiya 1.9 Scale Rigs 2 04-30-2011 05:20 AM
the YJ Wrangler prusik333 Tamiya CR-01 14 09-11-2009 11:51 AM