Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Tamiya Scale Rock Crawlers > Tamiya XC/CC01

Notices

Thread: Montero wheelie body on custom cc01 chassis

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2013, 01:29 AM   #1

Default Montero wheelie body on custom cc01 chassis

Hey all, I just got into "hobby grade" RC when my friend gave me a rolling cc01 chassis for Christmas. I've been modifying and blowing up the cheapie stuff for many many years, now it's time to modify and blow up the expensive stuff lol.

He got the chassis very well used in a deal from a local member, it already had a custom 3 link setup and had been drilled and cut in all sorts of places so I had no issue with "hacking" it up more when I made the decision to use the Montero Wheelie body. One night we got drunk and took the sawzall out for a faster cut lol.

He also hooked me up with a set of stock electronics for it, and has been saying I need a higher turn motor and GRU. He's also been saying I should post some pics of it up... and that's free so here I am.

It's a work in progress, I'm still waiting on the windows to show up from Japan.

I wired up my own LED setup and made my own lenses from clear hot glue. For body posts I used threaded bolts and wing nuts, mainly since the LHS was out of stock on plastic posts. The "posts" will be cut down once I finalize the body height. I painted the body with some automotive UV resistant black gloss, and then I clearcoated it with the same type of auto UV resistant gloss... I expect lots of scrapes to show up now. I also painted the wheels bronze to match my 1:1 Mitsubishi. (Mitsubishi fanatic)

Once I get my waterproof box finalized I'll have a proper antenna mount lol.

You can see how far forward I mounted one of the lipo saddle packs in this pic, it's the blue hardcase peaking out.

I made aluminum battery holders, the front one also strengthens the chassis and helps hold that gear cover down... it also is part of the body posts. You can see a Savox 0251mg my friend let me borrow after I smoked the stock one... soooo much better lol.

I was told many stories of how bad the stock 27t overheated, so I bought a $5 heatsink/fan combo... which needed a lot of modification to fit here.

I need to fill in the rear sections I cut out to keep crud from slinging into the chassis.

Ultra short driveshaft... but that's ok, to make up for the shortness of my driveshaft I lifted the body SKY HIGH. (jokes!!)

A blurry picture of part of the 3 link setup

Hiding in heavy brush, stalking some prey. This is how I found out I need more torque lol.

A quick spec list:
Montero Wheelie body
Shortened wheelbase cc01
2s LIPO 5700mah saddle pack setup
Stock ESC
Stock 27t
Borrowed Savox SG-0251mg servo (Probably buying a Traxxas 2075 to replace)
Stock steering
Custom 3 link with stock rear springs and green springs up front
Slightly worn spur gear (lol)
Traxxas driveshaft
China knock off 96mm tires on 1.9" wheels

I'm also using a Futaba Magnum Jr AM radio with a 3s 3000mah LIPO taped to the bottom of it, lol... so far I have about 7-8 hours of run/test time per charge. Helps when I forget to turn the radio off during tear downs lol.

It's barely coming out of the prototype stage now, though I've taken it on a few runs. I had taken it through creek/mud and submerged it, the servo didn't like that too much. Then I took it out on the Columbia river banks which is a lot of sand... that was fun for all of 10 mins until I jammed up the steering, smoked my servo, my receiver started acting up, and I managed to get sand in the gearbox causing the worn out motor pinion to not engage on the clogged up spur gear... a 4 hour tear down/cleaning and new motor pinion fixed that though lol.

Hope you guys didn't cringe too much when you saw how much was cut!! I'm uploading a video of some light testing/driving right now...

-Robert
Komeuppance is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-2013, 12:56 PM   #2

Default Re: Montero wheelie body on custom cc01 chassis

Montero Wheelie on a modified CC01 Chassis - YouTube

Test driving video

.-Robert
Old 04-10-2013, 02:27 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Dig that body! Nice cc-01. ditch the front wing nuts though!
pantablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 02:42 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I like it too, makes a change to see something different to the normal. And Thai caught my eye. That short wheelbase must be something else to dive on the trails. No bottoming out that belly... Lol
Louisbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 02:46 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

After watching that video clip, you definitely need a 55turn motor or a GRU. And you'll benefit from some softer tires.
Louisbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 05:16 AM   #6

Version 2.Yo

Installed a GD-600 GRU, though I probably need to order a new shaft because I could have done better turning it down to fit the stock pinion (16T).

Also now have a old school Revolution Monster Truck Motor, supposedly 21 turn. My friend and I rebuilt it on his fancy motor lathe.

He pretty much forced a GPM steering kit on me "Here. Pay me later." Lol, so that's installed with a Traxxas 2075 servo... we'll see how water proof that is.

I drove it a few feet next to my work bench, and the GRU is pretty awesome. I want to see how hot the motor gets before reinstalling the heatsink/fan combo. We'll see how things hold up!!

-Robert
Old 04-23-2013, 04:16 PM   #7

I've never see that montero body before, I like what you've done with it, it kind of reminds me of a 1:1 Samurai I used to own, nice rig!
Piatochaz is offline   Reply With Quote

Montero wheelie body on custom cc01 chassis - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
custom body & chassis JasonF88 Axial AX-10 Scorpion 3 03-27-2009 01:15 AM
my custom wheelie king will327 HPI Wheely King 4 01-03-2009 07:04 PM