Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Team Losi Comp Crawler

Notices

Thread: Losi Comp Crawler Motor Choices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2010, 06:44 PM   #1

Default Losi Comp Crawler Motor Choices

Hi! I was just flippin through a new issue of RCCA "Electric".....it had a section on crawlers and it said the best motor choice for a Losi Comp Crawler is a 13.5 w/a 3s Lipo . What is everyone's opinion on that? I haven't gotten my motor yet and was strongly considering a Tekin RS w/ 17.5 with their 14mm Torque rotor installed and run 3s Lipo or 3S Life....not sure yet. To me a 13.5t seems a bit "drastic", everyone I have ever talked with has only been running 21.5's-17.5's with 2S and 3S Lipo's.
KennyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-24-2010, 07:29 PM   #2
Custom Carbon Fiber

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyG View Post
Hi! I was just flippin through a new issue of RCCA "Electric".....it had a section on crawlers and it said the best motor choice for a Losi Comp Crawler is a 13.5 w/a 3s Lipo . What is everyone's opinion on that? I haven't gotten my motor yet and was strongly considering a Tekin RS w/ 17.5 with their 14mm Torque rotor installed and run 3s Lipo or 3S Life....not sure yet. To me a 13.5t seems a bit "drastic", everyone I have ever talked with has only been running 21.5's-17.5's with 2S and 3S Lipo's.

IMO a 13.5 is overkill and would not have the torque needed at times. I run the 17.5 RS system with the 13mm HT rotor in mine with a 13T pinion.

Wheel speed is there when I need it and the after replacing the rotor my torque and motor temps improved.

Some times I do question if a 21.5 on a 3S like the team guys run would be better. There are moments where I feel I lose the low end ability and have to use a bit more throttle and finesse with the 17.5 setup.

I was hesitant to go with the 14mm rotor due to some experiences others had with the Novak systems and that size rotor. Id be interested to see some one try a Redline motor with that rotor.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 08:04 PM   #3
RCC Addict

I originally was running the Novak Goat 13.5 system on 2S (with a 14mm rotor)and it was perfect. Plenty of wheel speed AND torque. Unfortunately, I dumped the truck in 2 feet of water and that killed the old system.

I switched to the new 3s Goat with an 18.5 motor (and 14mm rotor). I actually preffered the old system to the new. The new one gets hotter and has less torque than the 13.5. And yes I have geared down on the pinion but I lose to much wheel speed for my liking.

I haven't tried a Redline motor but I've heard there pretty good. Learn to use the dig and torque is not nearly as big of a deal as with some other trucks. I'd rather have a little more wheel speed and dig out of stuck spots.
paystin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 09:14 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

i have a 2s 18.5t goat, running it on 2s 1300mah and its great, with a 12t pinion, its got enough tourqe to bend delrin lower links and slip the sliper not a prob in a major bind after the links bend. and the wheel speed is great but could use the speed from a 14t if you really wanted it
2500hdon37s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 11:17 PM   #5
mrG
RCC Addict

I use a redline 21.5 with 14mm rotor on 4s and its great, wheelspeed and loads of torque, with the 4s I didnt have to give up either. Check into it I guarantee you'll like it. With a 14t I can run a course and have a motor temp under 110. Now I didn't drive hard on that course but 110 is a great temp and is was close to 90 degrees.
mrG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 11:37 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Default motor

BOTTOM LINE: You DON'T need a brushless system.

Just get you an outcry esc which cost less then $50 and can take a 4S lipo if need be. Go with rc4wd.com burushed motors for $10 each...trust me they work GREAT and have many many many turn options.

When it comes to rc crawling: A FOOL AND HIS $ SHALL SOON PART!
rooktakesqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 03:28 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooktakesqueen View Post
BOTTOM LINE: You DON'T need a brushless system.

Just get you an outcry esc which cost less then $50 and can take a 4S lipo if need be. Go with rc4wd.com burushed motors for $10 each...trust me they work GREAT and have many many many turn options.

When it comes to rc crawling: A FOOL AND HIS $ SHALL SOON PART!
i you want to be happy with your LCC you will want a brushless system, no you dont "need" it but by the time you get a good brushed setup it costs the same as a brushless system, and those machine wound rc4wd motors just dont have the low end like a good hand wound motor does.

after all the owners manual recomends a brushless system.

Last edited by 2500hdon37s; 08-25-2010 at 03:42 PM.
2500hdon37s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 03:35 PM   #8

You are correct 2500, and ROOK, I know I don't need a BL systen, but that is what I have been looking at as it is what I want. Plus, the truck is mainly designed for best use with a BL system....Just trying to figure out which. Kinda wish that Tekin had a 15.5t.....I'd go with that! LOL
Old 08-25-2010, 06:45 PM   #9
mrG
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyG View Post
You are correct 2500, and ROOK, I know I don't need a BL systen, but that is what I have been looking at as it is what I want. Plus, the truck is mainly designed for best use with a BL system....Just trying to figure out which. Kinda wish that Tekin had a 15.5t.....I'd go with that! LOL
Give tekin a call (or email) and see if they can give you some advice on rotors. You might get something close to a 15.5.
mrG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 07:02 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrG View Post
Give tekin a call (or email) and see if they can give you some advice on rotors. You might get something close to a 15.5.
Thanks MrG. Already on the case! LOL.....Great minds think alike!
Old 08-25-2010, 07:23 PM   #11

HAHA! Just got done talking with Randy over at Tekin. He said that a 13.5T with a 3S lipo is actually a very good combo.....if the stock rotor doesn't have enough "oomph", then step up to the 12.5mm torque rotor....same diameter as the stock one, but different construction and higher magnetic strength. So, I think my search has ended! Sweet! Now to save up my pennies!
Old 08-25-2010, 10:20 PM   #12
RCC Addict

I think you will be happy for a while with this decision.

I ran mine
18.5 2s
17.5 2s
13.5 2s
and now I'm 13.5 3s, and if I find a spare rotor I wanna try 4s for shiggles.

I get warm, but every system did. I can stall it, but every system did.

The last setup does wheelies up hill and now "pops" up more obsticals.

Another bonus is when I'm on my roof I can rock the truck to it's wheels on flat ground.
djjiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 10:27 PM   #13
Wanna get? Gotta want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djjiz View Post
I think you will be happy for a while with this decision.

I ran mine
18.5 2s
17.5 2s
13.5 2s
and now I'm 13.5 3s, and if I find a spare rotor I wanna try 4s for shiggles.

I get warm, but every system did. I can stall it, but every system did.

The last setup does wheelies up hill and now "pops" up more obsticals.

Another bonus is when I'm on my roof I can rock the truck to it's wheels on flat ground.
I didnt want to mess up your build thread with my motor talk so I moved into here.

My 13.5 Novak SS pro should be here on Thrus. I am excited to try it. I have a 12.3 rotor and a 14 rotor so I should be able to adjust a little to see if it makes a difference.

I have thought about it and I think the LCC needs a high speed motor. Here is an interesting fact...

My buddies Axial needs approx 8 turns at the spur gear to turn the tire once.

My LCC needs approx 22 turns to turn the tire once.

That means that our motors are working almost 3x harder in our cars, all of our parts see almost 3x the wear. I know the worm is somewhat inefficent but,... how much of our problem is the overall ratio that these motors have to work? I think the 21t worms would be a great start but I also wonder if a different ratio in the trans or spur/slipper could help us too. I havent thought too much into what that would take or if its possible.

If anybody else is interested in the 13.5 ss pro motor, I got mine for about $55 shipped. Reman off Novaks site. Pretty good deal.
Erik D_lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 03:47 AM   #14
RCC Addict

Im in the wheel speed ballpark of ring and pinion rigs and loving it. My only advice? I suggest no boss claws in the rain if you compete with it. I think tire choice at Nats is what killed any lcq chance I had, and my lack of driving skills.
djjiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 01:17 AM   #15
Wanna get? Gotta want.

Got the 13.5t motor today. Let me sum it up before I start...

This is the best motor I have run by far in my car. Period.

I imagined that I would get this motor and my car would be some sort of rocket and have a hair trigger. The wheel speed is great but what really surprised me is the low end control. I feel that this motor has MORE low end control than my 21.5t or 18.5t motors with 12t pinions on them. My 21.5 or 18.5 whine and cry (literally sounds come out of the motor sounding like that) when I am trying to crawl as slow as I can in a torque situation. This motor did not do that at all with me. Nice and smooth for sure.

The motor got a bit hotter that my other motors. About 10*. I am going to try the castle creations motor fan. Anybody have feedback before I push the button?
http://www.castlecreations.com/produ...ower-cm36.html

Only problem with this is that now I am wondering what a 10.5t motor would be like? I am going to keep my eyes open. If I see one for cheap I am going to try it.

I have no idea what the problem is but the motor actually crapped out on me after a couple of packs. All my Novak motors are doing the same thing. They shut my MMP down when the rotor hits a certain spot. If I pull my sensor cable or move the rotor by hand my MMP will start back up. While we were troubleshooting we put the 13.5 in my friends Axial. LOL. AWESOME! We were jumping obstacles. We managed to break his rear axle shaft within the first couple minutes.
Old 09-17-2010, 08:26 PM   #16
Pebble Pounder

I run this 13.5 in my lnc http://hobbycity.com/hobbyking/store...Motor_w/sensor Its a great motor, on 2s and if I ever get 3s that fit in my mount I will run it on 3s and it will be a monster.
Zimm98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 07:07 PM   #17
Rock Stacker

What ESC are you running? I was thinking of getting the goat 3S with a 18.5?
d.a.v.e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 09:08 PM   #18
Pebble Pounder

I am running the MMP. It has worked well for me so far.
Zimm98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 10:46 PM   #19
Wanna get? Gotta want.

Got more time on the 13.5 today. I am liking it a lot! I will be putting the 21.5 up for sale soon.

I have a 10.5 on the way I might have to put my 18.5 up for sale too and have a 10.5 with a 13.5 backup.
Old 09-22-2010, 03:22 PM   #20
Wanna get? Gotta want.

Got the 10.5 today and only had time for one pack. I ran it here at my house where its just constant bind and low speed only.

As one may have guessed, increased motor heat (lots, must use fan with this motor), lower run times and loss of torque.

This is the only time I have actually ran a motor where I thought I have needed more torque. Running 12t pinion.

I think the 13.5 motor is the ideal motor. I still want more wheel speed with it though. I am going to keep this 10.5t motor around and use it where I normally run. The place I normally run is VERY low traction. I really doubt I will need torque there but I need TONS of wheel speed. The 10.5 may be the perfect motor there and then the 13.5 can be my high traction motor where I need torque. I will update when I get some time on it where I need the wheel speed. I wish I could have tested the wheel speed more than just my driveway and living room floor.