Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Team Losi Comp Crawler

Notices

Thread: Wide Front offset?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2010, 07:37 AM   #1
Got Worms?

Default Wide Front offset?

Has anyone used a wide offset, where the backside of the hex in the hub is parallel with the outer bead surface? Any advantages, or disadvantages. I'm mkaing some wheels and my own knuckle weight design so i wasn't sure if i should maximize space for weight or run normal offset?
losikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-03-2010, 08:06 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

I use 1" slw wheels with 850/725 F/R Losi specific hubs and i have lots of steering throw. I had it in my moa setup and now in my shafty. I am using 9157 servo and planning to bump up to a hitec TH servo because of steer scrub (dont exactly know the correct term). I like the wider track but narrower than other axles as well as the scrub.

Last edited by axelram; 12-03-2010 at 07:09 PM.
axelram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 08:15 AM   #3
Got Worms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by axelram View Post
I use 1" slw wheels with 850/725 losi specific wheels and i have lots of steering throw. I had it in my moa setup and now in my shafty. I am using 9517 servo and planning to bump up to a hitec ht servo because of steer schrub (dont exactly know the correct term). I like the wider track but narrower than other axles as well as the schrub.
With those hubs whats the distance from the backside of the hex to where the tire seats in the bead?
Old 12-03-2010, 10:23 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

I run a wider front than rear:

In this picture, I run the offset of the wheels on the far right as my front....and the far left as my rear:
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 10:56 AM   #5
Custom Carbon Fiber

Eritex Comp Heavy's on the front - Axial offset puts them right at the hex

My rears are factory LCC wheels with 3mm thick hexes, makes me abit narrower back there.

JeremyH, whos wheels are those?
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 11:49 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
JeremyH, whos wheels are those?
Wheel Works
****Wheel Works Products****
Old 12-03-2010, 12:08 PM   #7
Custom Carbon Fiber

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyH View Post

Thanks.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 12:52 PM   #8
Got Worms?

So it would hurt to run a wide front, is it advantages in anyways, i would think stability, anymore?
Old 12-03-2010, 12:56 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Well, a wider track width means that you essentially have less diff clearance. Also, IMO, having the track width difference between the front and rear differ by more than 0.5" will result in less off camber stability....the rear will want to flop over.
Old 12-03-2010, 01:15 PM   #10
Wanna get? Gotta want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyH View Post
Well, a wider track width means that you essentially have less diff clearance. Also, IMO, having the track width difference between the front and rear differ by more than 0.5" will result in less off camber stability....the rear will want to flop over.
Running a wider front I also found...

Scrub was obnoxious. I couldnt stand to run my 20* C's with my 585 hubs. When they talk about turning the tire to reach out and grab a ledge this is what they are talking about, scrub. With the 585's at full turn my wheelbase would be something like 15" on one side 11" on the other (dont remember my exact numbers but you get the point). The 15" on the one side was really nice but it really screwed me on the other 11" side.

Running narrow will allow you to do more lines. I am going to exaggerate again... Say you have 10" wide front end and you try to do a 10" wide obstacle. You have one option. Better hope you make that line. Now lets say you have a 5" wide front end on that same 10" wide obstacle. You now have multiple ways up that single obstacle. It can work the same way by just narrowing your rig 1/4". I explained it to my friend like this.... I think a narrow front end makes my car less capable but I think it is more capable because it has more opportunities. If your car cant even fit in a spot it does not matter how capable it is.

Like most mods I have found with the car, moderation is usually the key. One mod can make one obstacle easier while making another harder and so forth. I like my width as narrow as possible without sacrificing too much.

I dont know if any of that even made sense.
Erik D_lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 01:20 PM   #11
RCC Addict

So in general what hubs are people using on 1" SLW wheels? 725/600?

Btw your wheel weights Dlux and the soon to be out rear CDW weights I am hoping to have almost NO weight in the wheels. I am sure I will still run an ounce or two in the front but that is the general goal.

Last edited by clarkrw3; 12-03-2010 at 01:22 PM.
clarkrw3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 06:57 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by losikid View Post
With those hubs whats the distance from the backside of the hex to where the tire seats in the bead?
+3.5mm with 850 hub
axelram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 07:21 PM   #13
Got Worms?

Ok so i should just keep the same offset i already have? Sounds good, now i just gotta get the hubs drawn up in cad and i should have a complete wheel ready to be machined. Anyone know the distance from the back bead to the back of the hex is, without the bead ring on? but i guess it won't hurt to pull my beads of and measure.
Old 12-03-2010, 10:31 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkrw3 View Post
So in general what hubs are people using on 1" SLW wheels? 725/600?

Btw your wheel weights Dlux and the soon to be out rear CDW weights I am hoping to have almost NO weight in the wheels. I am sure I will still run an ounce or two in the front but that is the general goal.
I run 600 fronts and 475 rears on my 1" SLW V-4's. Feels good with this offset and gain more turn without hitting the shocks
losiking1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 07:39 AM   #15
Rock Crawler

Default offset

im running slw 1" v1s with 725 front 600 rear. i was running 600 front and 475 rear but it didnt feel as stable. feel much more comfortable now.

i added D lux knuckle weights and the 20* hubs and noticed alot of improvement. being able to reach and pull the rig over a breakover with the steering is tremendous!! getting 5 oz of weight out of my front wheel and running it on the knuckle gave me some big wheel speed back, and it doesnt seem to get bound as easy anymore cuz i can power out of it.
rockrigcustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 10:29 AM   #16
Got Worms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockrigcustoms View Post
im running slw 1" v1s with 725 front 600 rear. i was running 600 front and 475 rear but it didnt feel as stable. feel much more comfortable now.

i added D lux knuckle weights and the 20* hubs and noticed alot of improvement. being able to reach and pull the rig over a breakover with the steering is tremendous!! getting 5 oz of weight out of my front wheel and running it on the knuckle gave me some big wheel speed back, and it doesnt seem to get bound as easy anymore cuz i can power out of it.
Yea i started working on these wheels before dlux came out with his knuckle weights, but i'm making some custom wheels and knuckles that will allow slugs of brass or a solid chunck that will hang below the axle and protected by the wheel. So along with 20* c's i should have a whole new beast for next season and hopefully i can some of my cvds i have drawn up machined before the comp season as well.
Old 12-04-2010, 10:30 AM   #17
Got Worms?

Which vanquish hubs give the same offset as losi wheels?