Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Team Losi Comp Crawler

Notices

Thread: C*H*U*D's LCC

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2010, 10:55 PM   #1
No idea what I'm doing

Default C*H*U*D's LCC

I must admit that I have always kept my distance when it came to the LCC...the worm gear stories have always scared me, and I figured it was more hassle than what it was worth.

I finally decided to pull the trigger after seeing Rubba's LCC based scaler. I'm so glad I did...this thing is a blast! I have about 10 packs through it (totally stock) and the slipper finally gave up. It's time for a tear-down, and I plan a few changes for the rebuild. No other problems at all besides the slipper, but I'll know more once I get it all apart.

I started this thread just as a diary for myself, but here's some shots of when I first got it....you can get the parts breakdown from the first picture:

That's about it for now...just wanted to say hey to everyone.
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-21-2010, 05:01 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

After the tearing it down what are your plans
dasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 06:19 AM   #3
RCC Addict

Congrats, Mr. C.H.U.D. the lcc is a lot of fun. You don't need much to make it competitive. I look forward to seeing what you do with it. You sure did a good job with the ax10. Lets see how creative you get now.
Tydl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 04:04 PM   #4
MODERATOR™

Beers!

Sometimes the slipper's nut comes loose causing the slipper to slip when it isn't supposed to be. It should be cranked down as much as it will go. It acts more like a fuse than a working slipper.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 01:09 PM   #5
No idea what I'm doing

jkwrangler08 put together a Fastback LCC. Ron used a wider skid for his, but I wanted to see what prevented the use of the standard width skid. I was planning on redesigning the bottom if necessary, but the motor/transmission fits fine.

The problem comes when I put the top on....it hits the dig servo when mounted in the stock location. I could redesign a special top for LCC Fastbacks, but I'm not sure I want to go that route. I know many LCC drivers use the RCBros dig servo mount. I could redesign the lowers to accept this mount like the stock chassis does, but the Fastback chassis is much narrower than the stock Losi, so the RCBros mount won't fit.

I need to think about this some more. I have a few ideas though.
Old 10-02-2010, 02:19 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

I like the new chassis !!! Any ideas on what it weighs compared to stock ?? Also check out Crawler Design Works new Elephant Ear Dig mount....with a litttle moddding it may fit in your new chassis. Keep us posted !
Toyo496 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 03:56 PM   #7
No idea what I'm doing

Thanks....I'll get the weight of this compared to all of the stock parts soon.

I plan to make a bracket that will mount the dig servo to the top of the transmission, in roughly this position:

Old 10-02-2010, 04:19 PM   #8
RCC Addict

It looks great
Hulksta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 04:46 PM   #9
No idea what I'm doing

Thanks! Here are the weight pictures. My Fastback and the parts it replaces. Not a huge savings...just under 2 ounces, but better than gaining weight.

When driving the Losi before, I found I really missed the visibility I gained when running my AX-10 Fastback. This should help with that.

Old 10-02-2010, 04:59 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

You got my attention on this chassis. I checked the white in your site and noticed the lower edge of the aluminum vertical plate is angled, is that correct?

Your servo plate location is interesting to me as I was thinking if the bottom part of the plate will be flat to mount the ESC for a super short motor wires. I may return my MOA to shafty using your chassis but will retain the Eritex axle bracket so I maintain my steering and upper link separation in the axle side.
axelram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 05:11 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

WOW !! I'm impressed with the weight savings !! Nice job !! Looks killer !!
Toyo496 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 05:35 PM   #12
Sometimes, I make things.

Nice work, this looks like it will be a great thread to keep an eye on

Just tested out my LNC for the first time, I am also digging the losi platform. I look forward to the finalized unit you will hopefully produce.

If you don't have plans for the stock battery tray, I would buy it from ya.
crazyorigin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 06:39 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Beening watching to see what you did with this back when jkwrangler08 first started running this chassis. Seen some video on the fastback ax10 and was very impressed with what you was able to make it do! This one is looking good and hopefully we will have a chance to get one!
Vertec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 06:41 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Man i like it alot! Underground just sold a chassis.We like pictures keep us posted

Last edited by hardhead; 10-02-2010 at 06:54 PM.
hardhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 06:55 PM   #15
Hateraide

Looks good nice tight fit with the losi gear, at least its still a shafty
Code454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 10:58 PM   #16
RCC Addict

Have you thought about machining the skid to drop the tranny in it like the losi skid? It would drop the COG and weight a little more

Im keen to see some vids of this when your done
Hulksta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 06:43 PM   #17
No idea what I'm doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by axelram View Post
You got my attention on this chassis. I checked the white in your site and noticed the lower edge of the aluminum vertical plate is angled, is that correct?
I'm not really sure I know which edge you are talking about....The front and rear of the chassis is angled if that's what you mean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyo496 View Post
WOW !! I'm impressed with the weight savings !! Nice job !! Looks killer !!
Thanks! I thought it would be lighter, and was happy to see almost 2oz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyorigin View Post
Nice work, this looks like it will be a great thread to keep an eye on

Just tested out my LNC for the first time, I am also digging the losi platform. I look forward to the finalized unit you will hopefully produce.

If you don't have plans for the stock battery tray, I would buy it from ya.
It's already produced...I never felt comfortable selling it as a Losi chassis though. Ron took the lead with his FF-4, and Fastback build, and once I got my own LCC, I wanted to follow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertec View Post
Beening watching to see what you did with this back when jkwrangler08 first started running this chassis. Seen some video on the fastback ax10 and was very impressed with what you was able to make it do! This one is looking good and hopefully we will have a chance to get one!
Most of the videos have been by our team driver DickyT, and include coverage of our second driver BillJ. They are the ones that make the Fastback look good, and yes I wonder sometimes how they do what they do

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardhead View Post
Man i like it alot! Underground just sold a chassis.We like pictures keep us posted
I like pictures too....I very rarely update unless I have pics...see below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Code454 View Post
Looks good nice tight fit with the losi gear, at least its still a shafty
Thanks Codey...It's tight, but it does fit. I'll be drilling the skid this week, and building links to go with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulksta View Post
Have you thought about machining the skid to drop the tranny in it like the losi skid? It would drop the COG and weight a little more

Im keen to see some vids of this when your done
This chassis was originally designed for the AX-10. I left the skid plain so that drivers could drill their holes where they want. However, the Losi transmission is such a tight fit, that machining the skid down could be an option. I'll be drilling my skid and taking notes this week

I took my axles apart tonight. Maybe I'm just paranoid about them wearing, and took mine apart a bit soon, but they seem to be wearing well. The contact patch seems to be centered, and the worm shows almost no wear at all. I'll be putting it all back together with Bel-Ray synthetic grease and run them till they complain. Next up is my transmission.

Old 10-04-2010, 05:38 AM   #18
Sometimes, I make things.

I tore mine down after just a short little test in my house, wanted tgo make sure they were greased and check the mesh out. I noticed the rear got a little warm on the test run and there was a little bit of wear already but nothing bad. I am a bit paranoid too after hearing all the worm gear horror stories. I am digging the losi axles though, tested it out yesterday w/ some weighted and worn in rovers and it crawled like a champ, I love the way the worms sit still when there is no throttle applied, makes it much more controlled. Was crawling w/ some friends w/ basic rigs and it was outcrawling them w/ ease. They may be getting some Losi's too
crazyorigin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 07:21 AM   #19
Rock Crawler

Seen DickyT's xr10 thread so maybe there will be 2 fastbacks in my future?!
Vertec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 09:22 PM   #20
No idea what I'm doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertec View Post
Seen DickyT's xr10 thread so maybe there will be 2 fastbacks in my future?!
Why not?.....I have two

So I was finally able to get my skid drilled today. Everything still fits fine with the narrow skid. I was bummed to see Ron is selling his, so I guess for now it's just me here in the Losi section.

Since the Fastback skid is symmetrical, I thought I'd give it a spin. The Fastback is already a 60/40 chassis, but I thought I'd experiment with putting the motor forward.

This would allow me to mount the dig servo forward as well...much like it is in the picture below.

I think I'm going to pursue this direction for now, and see how it turns out. I'm hoping with a bit more weight on the front, I can keep or lower the weight I have in the front tires.