Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tires and Wheels

Notices

Thread: WalMart sells memory foam inserts for Supers!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2009, 01:03 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Talking WalMart sells memory foam inserts for Supers!!!

Catchy title, I know. I am one of those do every thing that I can myself kind of guys. That is why I love this hobby so much. I love the build as much, maybe if not more, as the race. I recently bought a set of IMEX rubicons for my super. I wanted a tire that was different and fit my budget. I would love to have a set of custom plowboys but it is not in the cards just yet. The foams that come with the rubicons are, well, hard as georgia clay. I have looked online and in local stores for better foam choices and havn't come across anything to fit the bill. Then, as if the gods of RC were looking down on me, WalMart had memory foam pillows on sale for $14. Not the small ones with the hump in them but regular shape full pillows. An idea was born so my son and I, some time and a carving knife and this is what I came up with. I also drilled two 1/8 holes for venting and added 5 1/4 ounces to the inside of each rim for now making the total weight about 1 lb 5 oz. I stripped out the front and rear transmissions so when the replacement aluminum gears come in I will get more seat time in to let everyone know how the foams worked out.

STJ7780 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-2009, 01:23 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Well done. I made my own foam inserts bought from wally world too.
P1choco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 01:26 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Did you make them for a super or 2.2? How are they working out for you? I think I might add a stiffer foam to the sides for sidewall support.
Old 03-28-2009, 02:12 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

saw them last night. Have been looking at mem foam pillows for a while now for my super. I thought they seemed a bit hard to me. I seen the exact one you have though. 14 bux. How do they work?
addictedtonitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 10:44 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by addictedtonitro View Post
saw them last night. Have been looking at mem foam pillows for a while now for my super. I thought they seemed a bit hard to me. I seen the exact one you have though. 14 bux. How do they work?
I thought that they were too hard as well but when I cut it up it was nice and soft. The pillow is molded so it has an outer skin that makes it feel hard until it is cut to size. As for performance I stripped out both transmissions in my super so I can't do any testing until the replacments show up. For 14 bucks, I thought what the heck.
Old 03-29-2009, 10:50 PM   #6

Thats a great idea i just got some new tires and I think i will give this a try thanks.
13u9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 08:39 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

wally world also has bed pads for different size beds that are memory foam that are flat 2" to 4" thick..............bob

bob1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 08:21 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

anybody else tried these? I might go get some today. I need to get my super running though too lol so I won't be able to test them either lol
addictedtonitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 08:49 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

I had a chance to test them for about 5 minutes before I stripped another set of gears. Back to the drawing board on the trans. They work very well. I put 12 oz up front and 5 in the rear. They conform very well without too much give. I would say very similar to 2.2 setups out there just 7 in tall. They will need side wall support for sure. The next step will be to cut the factory foam and glue it to the edges of the memory for side support. When the gears are back in I will try again.
Old 04-04-2009, 08:52 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob1961 View Post
wally world also has bed pads for different size beds that are memory foam that are flat 2" to 4" thick..............bob

I wanted to use the bed foams to try out for the inserts but the price for the pillow was to good and the whole bed pad starts at $60. From what I can tell they are the exact same foam, the pillow just "feels" more firm until you cut into it.