Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tires and Wheels

Notices

Thread: Rc4wd Rok Lox

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2009, 04:41 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Rc4wd Rok Lox

Just received my set of Rok Lox today, and mounted them up.

In the past, I had cursed the Chisels and trying to mount them up on the RC4WD rims, but these tires mounted so easy, that I almost felt like cheating.

They're slightly taller then my chisels, and skinnier, which I prefer.

I haven't got much run time in on em yet, as it would be unfair to judge them based on my lack of skills with the stick radio at the moment.

The Bead is super thick on em, and the rubber compound feels as sticky as the Chisels.
Attached Images

syber70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-04-2009, 04:54 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Location: You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy

those look sweet... just like the iroks
DeweyCJ5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 05:32 PM   #3
20K Club

Look like the best scale 2.2 tire out. They did a good job hitting that mark for sure
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 07:22 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

they look 100 times better than the chisels too i hope they work just as good if not better than the chisels! i love the looks of them!
2500hdon37s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 06:40 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

action pics please please please!!
hustlercrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 09:05 PM   #6
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500hdon37s View Post
they look 100 times better than the chisels too i hope they work just as good if not better than the chisels! i love the looks of them!
The chisels aren't a scale tire, these are. If you are expecting comp performance out of these then I believe they are the wrong tire for you. They may work on some terrain but I don't see them standing up to a Chisel as an overall performer.
Old 05-05-2009, 09:31 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

I will be putting these on my Comp Rig with a good foam set up to Test Out.... I'll run them in the same spots as all the others. Should give a pretty good idea how they work... But the height and the New Compound. They should be the Best Performing Scale Tires. And one of the Scalest looking tires out.
run2jeepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 09:39 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Can't wait to get a set on my rock racer!

Great job RC4WD!
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 09:47 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Harley is right. These are built for Scale but can be used for what ever your want them for.

They are IMO the best looking scale tire on the market. They should do very well in performance too. The compounds are much better than the old Mud Slinger days.

Keep in mind. Foams make a big difference in how tires work. The foam that come with the tires are okay. There are plently of options out there for foams though.
Racer4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 07:49 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Got some more driving time in on them last night.. so far, I can't see why they can't be a competitive tire..

I do need to play with some foam adjustments though, as the stock foams are a bit stiff for them, and do hinder side hilling.
syber70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 08:26 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

I want to see someone make these comp worthy. I like the scale look I hope someone gets them to perform. I will keep updated on this tread forsure.
rockassassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 11:18 AM   #12
20K Club

I have felt the new RC4WD compound, and while it is leaps and bounds better than what they started with it is no Proline G8, Losi Blue, or Panther Red. The X-locks just won't pull lines that the best tires will. If you aren't going to compete then I am sure these tires will not hinder you so badly that you are discouraged but for a comp rig I can tell you there are better choices.
Old 05-06-2009, 02:23 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley0706 View Post
I have felt the new RC4WD compound, and while it is leaps and bounds better than what they started with it is no Proline G8, Losi Blue, or Panther Red. The X-locks just won't pull lines that the best tires will. If you aren't going to compete then I am sure these tires will not hinder you so badly that you are discouraged but for a comp rig I can tell you there are better choices.

After feeling all the available compounds and using most of them, i couldn't respectably and honestly disagree more. The X-Locks will make lines others won't and vice' versa. There isnt a end all be all of tires, but the above statement about X-locks couldnt be more wrong...

Nathan
GaBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 02:38 PM   #14
RCC Addict

Quote:
I believe Run2jeepn would also disagree but what do I know I don't have them never run them and actually never have seen them in person
clarkrw3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 03:38 PM   #15
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaBronco View Post

After feeling all the available compounds and using most of them, i couldn't respectably and honestly disagree more. The X-Locks will make lines others won't and vice' versa. There isnt a end all be all of tires, but the above statement about X-locks couldnt be more wrong...

Nathan
I own and have run about all of the best tires available and even unavailable, the X-locks just didn't have the grip or lug when we ran them side by side. They just wouldn't pull lines. I have nothing against RC4WD and with how far how fast they have come in the tire market I have no doubt they will be on par with everyone else pretty soon. I would say their compound is just short of a Losi blue currently.

Again, this is after running them side by side.
Old 05-06-2009, 09:03 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

i know you are a "top" driver, thats why i didnt want to just spout out something stupid and unbackable. Maybe the rock type, terrain, foams, whatever all could be the variable in our testing. Thanks for your input Harley!

Nathan
GaBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 09:24 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I own and have run about all of the best tires available and even unavailable, the X-locks just didn't have the grip or lug when we ran them side by side. They just wouldn't pull lines. I have nothing against RC4WD and with how far how fast they have come in the tire market I have no doubt they will be on par with everyone else pretty soon. I would say their compound is just short of a Losi blue currently.

What tires did you run at ECC??

If I remember correctly, X-locks got a better finishing spot than you!

Harley is right. RC4WD tire compounds have come along way and will continue to improve. There are tons of tires to chose from. Get what works for you.

Back on topic. The Rok Lox's just look great!!
Racer4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 11:31 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Feel, Is that all it takes to pick out a tire? Well Crap, I've been doing it wrong all this time... The G8 Compound is better then the M2 and M3. But I wouldn't say it's better then X3 from Rc4wd, by no means. I've pulled lines with the X-locks. That losi Blue, Proline G8 and Panther Reds couldn't do. Or the X-locks did it with easier control and with less wheel Speed. I'm not saying the X-Locks is the Best Either. I truely don't think there is a best Tire nowadays.

Quote:

I do own all the best Tires... I have yet to run two of them. (comp claws and JConcepts) I'm not sure what foam set up you used, but the test I just ran. The Chisels just couldn't hook up like the X-Locks did. I'm going to try the Chisels with two more different Foam set ups. Just to see if they will improve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer4Life View Post
What tires did you run at ECC??
If I remember correctly, X-locks got a better finishing spot than you!
run2jeepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 04:14 PM   #19
dkf
Rock Crawler

Those Rok Lox have to be some of the nicest tires I've seen thus far. What is the tread depth on them?
dkf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 07:13 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
The chisels aren't a scale tire, these are. If you are expecting comp performance out of these then I believe they are the wrong tire for you. They may work on some terrain but I don't see them standing up to a Chisel as an overall performer.
i just dont care for the looks of the chisels is all i was saying and that i hope they work good for him
2500hdon37s is offline   Reply With Quote