Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tires and Wheels

Notices

Thread: Proline Chisels VS. Mayhem Double Phatty

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2009, 08:35 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Unhappy Proline Chisels VS. Mayhem Double Phatty

Ok, first off let me say, both products are top of the line. I love my double phatties and the Chisels are amazing. I truly do not want to stop using either product because I would consider either one a huge loss... however...

Has anyone else had a problem with Chisels and Phatties not playing well with each other? I have had sporatic bead pulling issues since I mounted my Prolines. I didn't have these problems with my crap-tacular rock lizards, or well loved Losi claws, which I ran for over a year on these rims. Tonight I decided to replace all 128 screws on my rims and notice one rim had a pulled bead. (sigh) so I took it apart to let the rubber return to its original shape. I noticed that over 85% of the bead had been sliced by the phatties. This made me curious and I pulled my other rear tire apart. Both rubbers in both rims have had the bead slit. I took a little shoe goop to fixed it, and I mounted them in my stock rims. I am planning on returning to my Phatties eventually but I was curious if anyone else has had this problem.

Thank you for your time and patience.
WyldWeazel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-12-2009, 08:44 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Check this tread out:
Is it possible to overtighten CDPs?
& the last couple of pages of this one:
Pro-Lines new Chisel 2.2 comp tire

Last edited by Speedracer19; 05-12-2009 at 08:48 PM.
Speedracer19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 09:25 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I dont know if the Chisle has the same bead as the other proline tires, but IMO proline are the most craptastic bead to mount, ever.

I just got another set of mayhems (7's berg offset) and mounted them to my new Rovers. Absolutley perfect. I honestly think its that the beads suck, which didnt get fully mounted, and then the rim sliced the rubber when you tightened all the screws down.

Had it happen with my FailIrons
PapaGeno21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 10:57 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

yeah Ive had the same problem with 2 different sets of PL tires... pro-line's beads are not the best out there. mayhems hold a bead with the best of them, the only tire my mayhems (i have 4 sets of them) have ever lost were shitty prolines, i measured the beads when i took them off the wheels and one side had a bead that measured closer to 2.4" than 2.2".
dieselfuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 04:38 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Not using double phatty's, but trying to mount my chisels on my rock star rims was a extreme lesson in patience. Literally took me about 4 days to get it done, with unmounting, remounting, etc..

Got the Rok Lox and put those on the rock star rims, and it was easy as pie.. got all 4 rims done in about 30 mins.

I put the chisels on the stock AX10 rims, and they mounted up ok on there.
syber70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 06:22 AM   #6
Relaxed !

runnin double fatty's/axial's/pro-lines/dna's, and i would have to say that the dna's were by far the smallest bead area but they still went in, hav'nt had the problem as to wich ur speakin of, i'm thinkin it was the bead popped and just got overlooked in torque phase!
sococrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 06:38 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Had no problem here with mounting the chisel's onto the pro-line titan rims...
Dark8ngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 07:45 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

My chisels mounted up on my Vanquish wheels with l ittle effort. And that was with a less than stellar beads on the chisels. They just had a lot of excess rubber from the molding process.
goldmember is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 06:39 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

I saw a set of DPs tear the bead off a Chisel at a comp this weekend.
Calicrawler23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 11:01 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Hey guys just found this thread. If you think it's the wheels causing this issue with the tire being cut please email or pm me your concerns and I will do what I can on my end. I run most of the tires on the market and I have not cut a tire in the bead area, that's not to say it hasn't happened. If it's a wheel issue we will do what we can to fix the problem. One other thing, it looks like this thread was started around the first of the month and I'm just now coming across it. If you guys would pm or email me I could have addressed this issue sooner.

Thanks Mayhem Eng.
Mayhem Eng. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 12:27 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayhem Eng. View Post
Hey guys just found this thread. If you think it's the wheels causing this issue with the tire being cut please email or pm me your concerns and I will do what I can on my end. I run most of the tires on the market and I have not cut a tire in the bead area, that's not to say it hasn't happened. If it's a wheel issue we will do what we can to fix the problem. One other thing, it looks like this thread was started around the first of the month and I'm just now coming across it. If you guys would pm or email me I could have addressed this issue sooner.

Thanks Mayhem Eng.
I think the groove in the wheel for the tire bead could be slightly larger. My hot bodies rovers mounted up easier and fit snug in the groove. The chisels never quite sat right. I think this is partially due the the chisels having a slightly larger ID than the Rovers.
CronusTRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 01:56 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

The ProLine Chisel tires are the ONLY tire I have ever had a problem mounting to a set of BL's. The PL bead is absolutely sloppy. It's not the wheels.

At this point, I wouldnt "mount" a set of Chisels with your p---s.
RC Shocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 02:05 PM   #13
RCC Addict

I agree with what everyones saying, its so true!
I have not had good luck mounting ANY proline tires to BL rims and if you are lucky enough to get them on they pop out! I had to GLUE a set of 1.9 Flat Irons to Axial BL rims just to get them to stay on!
Proline needs to realize that if their going to make Rock Crawling tires and almost all of us use BL rims, they need to make the bead dia. a little tighter, they might want to talk to RC4WD, HB, Losi etc, to get their 'secret'!
KRAWLR4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 08:47 PM   #14
RCC Addict

I had this happen about three months ago and was pissed. Ripped both inner beads on my rears. Put my Panthers back on and never looked back. Also the Chisels didn't mount up that great for me. Just my input.

Later
Farmer
Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 08:58 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

That sucks that this is a problem with this combination. I was going to get these wheels to match up with my chisels but now I'm having second thoughts.
legion1capone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 10:34 AM   #16
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by legion1capone View Post
That sucks that this is a problem with this combination. I was going to get these wheels to match up with my chisels but now I'm having second thoughts.
The tires are the problem not the wheels. I'd get the wheels then order some tires from tcs while they're still on sale, Just bought two sets of panthers and two sets of white Rovers for a total of $55 shipped.
Failedabortion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 08:37 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

I will have my Mayhem DCP's in a couple days and I am gonna run Pro Line Chisels so I will snap some pics of everything during the assembly and do a write up on this and get to the bottom of it for everyone.
Jeepial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 05:34 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

I just got done mounting up some chisels on Mayhem DCP's.All seems well with the wheels themselves,I smoothed out sharp edges and such,plus there seems to be a nice gap between the rim and the ring where the ring sandwiches the tire..All I can say after assembly and all is that this is a tire issue..I tried 3 other tires (Losi comp claws,HB Rovers and Panthers)with the same rims and they were much less of a headache to install and the beads are more of a square uniform shape than the Chisels,the Chisels kinda have a wedge shape bead that is much thicker and taller at the area that sits in the bead of the rim,unlike the other tires.But I did get the whole set assembled(well i think)and I am gonna do some thrashing and see what happens with the beads ofter some use..The tire may just need some serious attention to get installed properly,but it not looking like that though..More of a size issue with the bead itself.
Jeepial is offline   Reply With Quote