Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tires and Wheels

Notices

Thread: 2.2 Cobra

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2009, 02:49 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default 2.2 Cobra

Anyone know the height of a stock, not 1.9, panther cobra? I'm thinking of around 4.5, but want to make sure.

Also anyone try these as a 2.2 comp tire? I suspect the height the prime culprit. Thanks for any info!
LSXEric is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-01-2009, 08:11 PM   #2
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

A stock 2.2 cobra is 4 inches tall. They are a stadium truck tire and not a crawler tire. The only way to enlarge them is glue them to a 2.2 rock crawler tire side wall and enlarge them. It takes 6 tires to make one set of four 2.2 cobra crawler tires.
Nova's Ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 08:29 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Bam!!! And it takes 10 tires......... 6 cobras and 4 donor sidewalls.
Attached Images

Kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 08:53 PM   #4
RCC Addict

For the above tires how well do they work? Better than say rovers or leopards?

Kieren
Aussie Nerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 09:18 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Not sure, I never really tried them out all that much. I know they pull harder than any tire I have ever tried.
Kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 09:30 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

...WOW...I gotta get me some of those!!!
Jeepial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 10:20 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamikaze View Post
Not sure, I never really tried them out all that much. I know they pull harder than any tire I have ever tried.
Since your not using them i will test them for you So they are better than any other tyre you have tried? Just so everyone knows I PMed Nova a while ago and they would cost $120 for 4. How much would it be if I supplied the 4 extra sidewall tires?

Kieren
Old 12-01-2009, 10:28 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Wow! Now I want a set. Are they soft enough to crawl with?
bivens22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 10:51 PM   #9
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

The red dot soft compound Cobras are an amazing tire. You look at the tread pattern and think "no way", but they have proven themselves time and time again. They have a distinctive webbing cast into the tire that make them side hill easily with a super soft foam when reduced to 1.9. Now a custom size cobra like Kamikaze's might be different since it needs a donor 2.2 side wall to get the needed height.
Old 12-01-2009, 11:04 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Any chance any of the team drivers or Nova pulling some strings and get these made for real? They obviously works, and if you could retain the 'webbing' in the sidewall, they might be the next big hit. Something to rival the sedona. At least they look WAY better than the leopards. Might be a bit hard convincing panther when they just came out with the leopard I suppose?

Kieren
Old 12-02-2009, 08:44 AM   #11
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Nerd View Post
Any chance any of the team drivers or Nova pulling some strings and get these made for real? They obviously works, and if you could retain the 'webbing' in the sidewall, they might be the next big hit. Something to rival the sedona. At least they look WAY better than the leopards. Might be a bit hard convincing panther when they just came out with the leopard I suppose?

Kieren

It's not gonna happen. Having tire molds made is extremely expensive. Plus you have to account for the return on investment. 2.2 is by far the largest class in the industry and most popular. But there is already a few tires in 2.2 with a similar tread pattern. Panther listened to there Team Drivers in making the Leopard and that is why it is taller and has double thickness sidewall. But for Panther to make a third 2.2 tire, or a 1.9 tire, or even a Super tire it's not currently looking good. The U.S. economy is in bad shape and it's hitting every form of business. I have discussed having a 1.9 and Super tire made with Panther and at this time it's not in the works. Racing is still out selling rock crawling and ultimately you have to make a profit to be a successful business.
Old 12-02-2009, 04:49 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Bam!!! And it takes 10 tires......... 6 cobras and 4 donor sidewalls.
Now thats what I'm looking for. That looks great!

Whole reason I was wondering about a stock 2.2 cobra was that I was thinking of using them on my scaler. Compound and tread rock! Tought they were a tad taller though... Like 4.5, but 4 could work. Thanks Guys.
LSXEric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 09:20 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova's Ark View Post
It's not gonna happen. Having tire molds made is extremely expensive. Plus you have to account for the return on investment. 2.2 is by far the largest class in the industry and most popular. But there is already a few tires in 2.2 with a similar tread pattern. Panther listened to there Team Drivers in making the Leopard and that is why it is taller and has double thickness sidewall. But for Panther to make a third 2.2 tire, or a 1.9 tire, or even a Super tire it's not currently looking good. The U.S. economy is in bad shape and it's hitting every form of business. I have discussed having a 1.9 and Super tire made with Panther and at this time it's not in the works. Racing is still out selling rock crawling and ultimately you have to make a profit to be a successful business.
Yeah ok, figured it was a long shot but worth a go. Come to Aus our economy isn't so bad. Hope it stays that way though, politicians have a tendency to totally screw stuff up

Kieren
Old 12-03-2009, 03:03 AM   #14
RCC Addict

Quote:

I might have to make a set of these. How many lugs did you add from the donor tires to enlarge them?
Culetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 03:22 AM   #15
Who's your Daddy-0!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culetto View Post
I might have to make a set of these. How many lugs did you add from the donor tires to enlarge them?
Me 2! I have 4 2.2 Cobras sitting here, just need 2 more
TattooKenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 05:36 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

All it takes is some cutting and some glueing and you can have a set. I built mine out of 6 Cobras and used the sidewalls from a worn out set of Rock Claws that I had laying around. If I can do it anybody can. Mine look like ass, but they pull great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Nerd View Post

Kieren
Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 05:51 PM   #17
WOOPOOW!!

Im making some..
Colby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 08:23 PM   #18
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuit View Post
All it takes is some cutting and some glueing and you can have a set. I built mine out of 6 Cobras and used the sidewalls from a worn out set of Rock Claws that I had laying around. If I can do it anybody can. Mine look like ass, but they pull great.
I don't trust myself with 3 pairs of perfectly good tires. I am flat out glue flat irons onto a rim Better than rovers?

Kieren
Old 12-06-2009, 08:45 PM   #19
RCC Addict

That's 5 pairs of tires.
danielk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 09:02 PM   #20
Who's your Daddy-0!

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielk View Post
That's 5 pairs of tires.
?:?