Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tires and Wheels

Notices

Thread: home made 2 stage foams.......

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2009, 02:59 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default home made 2 stage foams.......

sorry for my last post up on these foams i made being deleted, but a mod seemed to think it was a feeler thread to sell them....so here is the foam build thread with out any touchy feely stuff in it....

i needed foams to fill my rovers and didn't have the bucks for a new set of 2 stage foams, so i made my own....started with the set of stock grey foams that came with the rovers we all know are too small....i bought a set of four 16" x 16" x 1" foam seat cushions from wally world....

cut them in strips the same width as the tires foam....

the 16" length of the seat cushions come in are perfect size to go around the grey tire foam....

here is the foam behind the tire it will go in, you can see it will fill the tire fully....

i used some contact spray glue to glue them together and now i have a set of custom 2 stage foams that only cost 4.00 bucks in foam....

tire with foam againest tire without foam and tire side view with foam....

with these foams at the last comp was in, i see i need to add weight back in my rear wheels or cut down the stock foams 1/4" so the tires are not so over stuffed with foam....each 16" x 16" foam sheet does 4 tires plus 2 strips left over, so i have enough foam to do 6 sets of tires..................bob

Last edited by bob1961; 04-22-2010 at 06:53 AM.
bob1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-29-2009, 03:10 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

do you now the part number on these foam cusions.nice post it can help sum of us low budget crawlers to make good two stage foams.
Tklan Crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 03:13 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Are you using the stock Rover foams as your inner foam? It looks like it, and that foam is crazy soft for an inner foam. How soft is the outer foam from the cushion? Either way props on the DIY method.
4xFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 03:14 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

if your talking bout the grey foams, they are stock foams that come with the rovers or any other tires on the market....the same foams are the axial stock grey foams too................bob

bob1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 02:34 PM   #5
jwo
Rock Crawler

got my rovers in the mail today. decided to try this til i can order nova's foams. it worked well. added some height to them as well. i channeled out 1/4'' out of the center outer foam to get more of a flat footprint. seems to work well.still plenty soft. only the rocks will tell though.
jwo is offline   Reply With Quote