Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tires and Wheels

Notices

Thread: DHII vs. SLW

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2011, 04:45 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default DHII vs. SLW

So i have been really hesitant to make the leap.

I read a lot of thread where guys are running DH II up front and SLW in the rear.

Or

SLW at all four corners but rarely do i hear of DH II's all the way around.

It seems like for a newbie that wants to upgrade their wheels to go with the DH II's.

Aren't you able to change the wheel width of the DH's where as the SLW's you have to decide what width you want when ordering. And then if you dont like it you have to drop your next check!!
I mean, if you went with the SLW's but didn't like the set up you would have to make another large purchase (granted you could always sell them providing you have a star)...

Why not get the DH II's and allow for adjustment of the wheel?
Here is a snapshot of the the pricing.

What is the advantages/disadvantage of DH II's all the way around vs SLW's all the way around vs. a combination of the two?
KnoJa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-2011, 05:12 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

They both have removable hubs. Vanquish makes many different offset hubs, therefore you can achive different widths with either wheel.
travis c. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 07:48 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnoJa View Post
So i have been really hesitant to make the leap.

I read a lot of thread where guys are running DH II up front and SLW in the rear.

Or

SLW at all four corners but rarely do i hear of DH II's all the way around.

It seems like for a newbie that wants to upgrade their wheels to go with the DH II's.

Aren't you able to change the wheel width of the DH's where as the SLW's you have to decide what width you want when ordering. And then if you dont like it you have to drop your next check!!
I mean, if you went with the SLW's but didn't like the set up you would have to make another large purchase (granted you could always sell them providing you have a star)...

Why not get the DH II's and allow for adjustment of the wheel?
Here is a snapshot of the the pricing.

What is the advantages/disadvantage of DH II's all the way around vs SLW's all the way around vs. a combination of the two?
I believe the SLW's are lighter (super light weight) and are just another place you can remove weight from the vehicle. If you have all of your weight on the knuckle and axle you may not need the extra weight the DH's offer. Also, I would guess you could use more knuckle weight with an SLW than a DH.

DH all around may make the rig heavier by requiring you to have more weight up front to have the rig act as you want it. SLW's all around might make it easier to stack all the weight on the front axle you need with more knuckle weight room. DH's up front may be because some people can't get enough weight on their knuckles or prefer the way the car behaves with weight in the wheels. Maybe people are choosing the DH in combination with knuckle weights to keep some on the wheel.

From what I've read on the search wheel width seems to have more to do with which tires you are running than how to achieve the most performance with a particular tire.

From what I've experienced everything is marginal but your driving skills.

Really I have no idea, but that is some food for thought!
opek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 08:00 PM   #4
RCC Addict

I am one of those guys running DH2 up front and 1" SLW v4 in the rear on my XR10. Here is why I made this choice:

1. The DH2 weighs about 2ounces per wheel more than the SLW...so for the pair, that is a 4 ounce difference up front.

2. The DH2 has some adjustability in width....as well as the ability to hold another 6 ounces per wheel for more control of weight up front.

3. If I want to use knuckle weights to put some non-rotating mass up front, I still can.....if I choose to go a little wider and switch from a 460 hub to a 585 hub. The knuckle weights do not fit with a 460 hub on the DH2 wheels.

4. Mixing and matching VP Steel Slugs and C.I. aluminum slugs, I can easily fine-tune my front rotating weight.

5. I can tune for the tires a little with the 3 possible widths available in the DH2. I currently run at the middle width with Boss Claws.

A lot of this is personal preference. Some guys will swear by SLWs all around...and run knuckle weights up front. That is their personal choice.

Last edited by xirtic; 11-16-2011 at 06:26 AM.
xirtic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 10:55 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by xirtic View Post
I am one of those guys running DH2 up front and 1" SLW v4 in the rear on my XR10. Here is why I made this choice:

1. The DH2 weighs about 2ounces per wheel more than the SLW...so for the pair, that is a 4 ounce difference up front.

2. The DH2 has some adjustability in width....as well as the ability to hold another 6 ounces per wheel for more control of weight up front.

3. If I want to use knuckle weights to put some non-rotating mass up front, I still can.....if I choose to go a little wider and switch from a 460 hub to a 585 hub. The knuckle weights do not fit with a 460 hub on the DH2 wheels.

4. Mixing and matching VP Steel Slugs and C.I. aluminum slugs, I can easily fine-tune my front rotating weight.

5. I can tune for the tires a little with the 3 possible widths available in the DH2. I currently run at the middle width with Boss Claws.

A lot of this is personal preference. Some guys will swear by SLWs all around...and run knuckle weights up front. That is their personal choice.
This is great! I guess it all comes down to personal preference.
KnoJa is offline   Reply With Quote