Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tires and Wheels

Notices

Thread: 6x6 Scale Tire Technical Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2011, 10:50 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default 6x6 Scale Tire Technical Question

Ok, I recently built a 6x6 and outfitted it with three pairs of RC4WD Two Faces. They are great looking tires but they do not perform nearly as well as I had hoped. They grip ok on the sandstone where I live but they skate on loose dirt and cant find traction.

My question is what other tires have you guys had some wheel time with that work reasonably well on loose gravel and grip the rocks well? The clincher is that they have to have a reinforced sidewall.

This was one of the reasons that I got the Two Faces in the first place, the reinforced sidewall. The rig weighs about 13 pounds and it will flatten the Flatirons I had for it first and the Rock Lox I have on my other scaler will just fold under with the weight. Here is a couple of photos for reference.

Blazefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-28-2011, 08:38 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

on my old 6x6 I had narrowed 2.2 flatirons and the stiffest foams I could find. My rig didn't weigh as much as yours but it wasn't a lightweight either. The tires gripped rocks and loose dirt very well.
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 08:53 AM   #3
RCC Addict

Idea 1:
What about getting the tire of your choice - with scale looks and good cross functional grip.
Then create some rienforced sidewalls by cutting up some old sidewalls of the same size from other tires and gluing them on the inside walls of the tire you are running.
Cut the OD just shy of where your running tire curves into tread, and the ID so it is outside the beadlock and rim area.
Use IC2000 black to hold it together. Maybe some shoo goo to reinforce it.

Idea 2:
There are some BLs I have seen (sorry cannot remember the brand), that have a machined in rib running down the center to hold the tire to size under load.
You could run these (not as scale looking), or create your own with a ring made out of polycarb (lexan) or nylon, that you fit the center of the wheel.
It might float a bit, so you would need semi-secure it in place. Inner very stiff foams cut to fit over it?? "Great Stuff" insulating/expanding foam?
Then cut the foam you want to fit around it.
sweli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 08:53 AM   #4
Nobody

Maybe get in touch with Eddie at crawler innovations to see about getting a nice stiff set of foams for the lox or flat irons. Those tires should work good if you can get some foams to support the weight.
Cordwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 08:55 AM   #5
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

I recently bought a 6x6 from Szczerba here on the forum. I love the rig. It is so much fun to drive. It has RC4WD Flash Points on it and I really like the tires. They have done well on rocks and the trail. Mine weighs more than yours because it has an complete exo cage. Here is a picture:

Since that picture was taken I have added a bunch more scale accessories that have added even more weight. The stock foams in the tires are ridiculously soft under all that weight. The tires are spot glued so I haven't had the time to remove them and change the foams. The 6x6 is going to be completely rebuilt in the coming weeks and I will be addressing the foam issue. I have a few ideas already in mind and I think I can help you if you are interested.
Nova's Ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 10:15 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cordwood View Post
Maybe get in touch with Eddie at crawler innovations to see about getting a nice stiff set of foams for the lox or flat irons. Those tires should work good if you can get some foams to support the weight.
That sounds like a pretty good idea, I do like the way the Lox perform around here.

Has anyone had any expirience with rc4wd Mud Pluggers? I like the military look of them but I am unsure of their performance.
Old 05-28-2011, 02:06 PM   #7
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweli View Post
You could run these (not as scale looking), or create your own with a ring made out of polycarb (lexan) or nylon, that you fit the center of the wheel.
It might float a bit, so you would need semi-secure it in place. Inner very stiff foams cut to fit over it?? "Great Stuff" insulating/expanding foam?
Then cut the foam you want to fit around it.
DIY Ultimate Comp Rings
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 06:40 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

man you guys build B.A. rigs i need to get out and go to a comp i need to find some near southern MD/DC area
SOMD_BASHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 05:28 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Ok, thanks for that...