Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tires and Wheels

Notices

Thread: For Those Using Rovers Again...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2011, 10:43 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default For Those Using Rovers Again...

I haven't used them since Nationals last year. I have used the Sedonas since then and currently use Claws.

What's with the renewed interest in Rovers. I see them in comp videos a lot again, and now I'm reading how people are ditching the Claws and Sedonas to go back to Rovers.

I have always felt they're a good tire, but I am curious why you are choosing them over what many people on this forum considered better options 6 months ago.
Harvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-2011, 10:58 AM   #2
MODERATOR™

Flavor of the month kicks in, then reality checked?
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 11:24 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Maybe folks are tired of matching the tire/foam for each rock type course? And just slap on the rovers and run em. I dunno just a thought.

Rovers are great all around rock type tire.
These days you have pin tires, sedona's and rovers for most comp tire choices. In my experience, pin tires or sedona's work best for the rock types I run. Rovers do ok but pins or sedona's do better, depending on the rock type. I would rather match the tire to the rock. I have seen too many times were sedona's or pin tires out perform rovers on a certain rock types.
Szczerba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 12:11 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

At our state finals we ran on high traction granite and most of the local guys swore that pin tires would do terribly. I was the ONLY person running Boss Claws out there that day....the majority of the rest were running Rovers. My tires held their ground and brought home an invite. I think I'll stick with the BC's.

To tell the truth, I havent run rovers in several years (on my 2.2 and super, 1.9 is a different story). I will either run heavily siped Sedonas or pin tires...
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 12:15 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

I feel that they are the perfect tire for anything, they just stright work! but I really wish I didnt have 1 of mine stolen, I had a foam combo that crushed my current Nova foams that I have.
2500hdon37s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 01:03 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Because rovers are the chit. Mostly everybody on the West coast runs them...
shelby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 01:20 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvo View Post
I haven't used them since Nationals last year. I have used the Sedonas since then and currently use Claws.

What's with the renewed interest in Rovers. I see them in comp videos a lot again, and now I'm reading how people are ditching the Claws and Sedonas to go back to Rovers.

I have always felt they're a good tire, but I am curious why you are choosing them over what many people on this forum considered better options 6 months ago.
It was the hype. When a few had success with the pins a lot jumped on the bandwagon. The pins are harder to tune and just don't fit a lot of peoples driving style. Now that people are finding they might not work as well for them they are going back to the tried an true. Rovers are the standard tire that all others are compared to. And they flat work on the majority of the rock around the country. Even on stock or poorly tuned foams rovers are a hell of a tire. I would also say that the shortage of the boss claws and not being able to get them is playing a small roll in it also. I myself am a pin addict. I cant get enough weather it be claws or khaos I love them and they suit me very well. I am guilty of keeping as set of nip rovers on the shelf just in case though.
highlandcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 03:47 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Ive always ran rovers ive tired other tires but every time it would come down to o these tires work really good almost as good as my rovers haha so i always come back to them. Sipe the solid lugs on the lines and they are golden.
mindless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 04:50 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Rovers will always be right there at the top of my list of the best tire you can run....BUT, theres a few others that are just about as good and its always fun to try out different tires when they come out to change things up but rovers will probably always be the ones that people go back to. Ive been running sedona's up front and rovers in back for a while now, and prefer this setup over just rovers or just dona's.
slowngreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 04:50 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

I also switched to sedonas last year at nationals. I have been running a set of boss claws off and on but keep going back to my sedonas. They are pretty predictable on any terrain.
Fordx4Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 04:56 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

I drive best on pins too, but I don't want to wear mine out before September (considering they are hard to come by)

So I was thinking about giving the Rovers another try in the mean time.

I personally have not found a rock type yet that Boss Claws have not dominated on.

This is interesting though. I would like to hear more opinions on the Re-Rover fad.
Old 07-09-2011, 05:00 PM   #12
D-Wray 4 Prez!

For me I hated Rovers at first, stood with the comps claws as long as I could. Then all the clearance issues, then I switched to Sedonas. I liked them at first. But came to realize they were way too hard with the big lugs. Gave Rovers a second chance, now I love them. Great all around.
Frankenwheely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 05:13 PM   #13
RCC Addict

I've been running what the guys call the mullet combo.
Sedonas in the front and Rovers in the back.
The sedonas, at least on the rock I was competing on, had a little more traction and seemed to pull up on the ledges a little better than Rovers did. My guess is because the gaps on the Sedonas are bigger and the lugs are larger.
I agree that Rovers are the best all around tire you can run for crawling. Ran them on my AX10 rig and had great luck with them.

bigstu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 05:28 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

I've looked real hard at a bunch of other tires, but every time I drive either of my rigs, I'm reminded that Rovers just plain work, and I'm glad I didn't switch things up.
version_three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 09:11 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

I mounted some up just to see (its been a year after all). It's hard to tolerate all the side slipping. They do have great forward traction like I remember, but man they wont hold a sidehill.

Of course these arent grooved yet and I know that helps, but the pin tires have them beat on sidehilling.

Also... there are alot of guys swearing by sanding all the side lugs off Sedonas and Claws. Rovers are pretty luggy tires on the corners and top sidewalls. Why does no one complain about those lugs and chop them off??

Or are you?
Old 07-09-2011, 10:39 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

taking the side walls smooth help the tire wad up more and makes it a smoother tire when waded up. like the tire well not jump or bounce when waded up. i have done it to the rover and the sedonas love them both.
tomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 11:01 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

damn now i'm starting to wonder if some boss claws would work better out here on these ocean granite rocks. meh, searching I go!

Jeremy, what were the other guys running for tires if not BC's?
Crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 10:55 AM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Jeremy, what were the other guys running for tires if not BC's?
If you were asking me, most of them were running Rovers, a few with Sedonas. The two who beat me were running Rovers.
Old 07-10-2011, 12:00 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Rovers since they came out...

never looked at anything else.............

JMO....

tell me different, the BC's were developed when the LCC was comming out
and seems to me they are a low wheel speed tire made for the low wheel speed LCC....

i have seen them run out here on bergs with a lot of wheel speed and they just didnt hook at all....
roksloski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 12:08 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by roksloski View Post
tell me different, the BC's were developed when the LCC was comming out
and seems to me they are a low wheel speed tire made for the low wheel speed LCC....
Maybe that is why they work well for me....I drive about as slows as it gets...