Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tires and Wheels

Notices

Thread: RC4WD 1.55 Steel wheel 5 Lug mod

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2015, 07:48 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default RC4WD 1.55 Steel wheel 5 Lug mod

How many of us are frustrated having to accept the 6 lug 1.55 rims from RC4WD, for our 5 lug rigs? Now, I like the rims, but not every vehicle is 6 lug, in fact, there are more 5 lugs than 6. I asked RC4WD, awhile back, in another thread, about a 5 lug 1.55 like their 1.9. They said that it couldn't be done because the area is smaller than the 1.9. They already have the template for drilling out for the 1.9, so all it would take is to drill the the 1.55's exactly the same and use the same 1.9 hubs. Then chrome them for beauty. Ha ha.

1.55 vs 1.9

So this weekend, I did some measuring and tinkering and found that the aluminum hubs for the 1.55 and the 1.9 are the same outer diameter and have the same bolt spread diameter. So I decided to put it to the test.

Since I knew I would be re-drilling the lug holes in the rims, I picked up some suitable 7/8" steel fender washers to cover the extra holes. They are a perfect fit inside the center of the 1.55 rims.

These were the hardest part, of this mod, to do. I matched the 1.9 pattern buy centering each washer behind the 1.9 rim and marking it. Using my drill press, I drilled out the holes slightly larger to allow for a little "adjusting".

Then, I drilled out the centers of the rims with a step-bit, to match the center hole in the 1.9 and used the washer as a template to drill the new holes into the 1.55's. I did this by using a 1.9 pin type 5 lug hub and bolting into the only hole that lines up with the spoke center triangle hole. This keeps them consistent throughout the process.

When I had everything drilled and cleaned up, I shot the new outer rings with some Gloss White Rustoleum, and bolted them together with RC4WD miniature 2.5mm hex bolts. First using 10mm bolts to pull the wheels together and then replacing them, one at a time, with 8mm bolts. I think they turned out pretty good. I used some reduced 1.9 DC FC 2's for my tires for the scale appearance. Overall diameter is 3.5in or 88mm. These will find their way to my Bronco, eventually.

58_Willys is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-13-2015, 09:35 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: RC4WD 1.55 Steel wheel 5 Lug mod

Dang good job buddy
aztitan is offline   Reply With Quote