Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tires and Wheels

Notices

Thread: Vaterra superswamper 1.9 tyres made by proline??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2017, 08:02 AM   #1

Default Vaterra superswamper 1.9 tyres made by proline??

Hey, I've got the chance of a new but second hand vaterra superswamper tyres in 1.9, I've been told they're a proline tyre rebranded to vaterra is this the case? Do they have a soft compound as I want an upgrade tyre for my Traxxas trx4. Should I get them? Cheers Rob

Last edited by trxrincon; 07-11-2017 at 08:30 AM.
trxrincon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-2017, 08:31 AM   #2
Slow is the new Fast

Default Re: Vaterra superswamper 1.9 tyres made by proline??

Mine are not soft. That came in my kit version Twin Hammers. They work for generally bashing, but blow for the most from my experience.
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 08:33 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

I don't think they are a re-branded Proline. There are differences.

I've used both brands and both sizes of the Proline TSLs. I liked the Vaterra TSLs because of the size - right in between the Proline offerings. The Vaterra TSLs worked great on my C2 rig in 2016. I used CI closed cell foams in the rear and the ones that came with the tires in the front.

If you can get them cheap, definitely go for it. Don't pay retail.
btoungette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 10:12 AM   #4

They are definitely not rebranded ProLines. The ProLine tires are great. The Vaterra tires are not. The Vaterra version isn't that soft nor are they sticky. Spring for the ProLines.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 10:27 AM   #5

Thanks for the replies. Best to avoid them then? I actually fancy axial bfgoodrich krawlers, I might have to bite the bullet as I also want rc4wd wagon wheels too! Gulp!
trxrincon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 10:45 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by trxrincon View Post
Thanks for the replies. Best to avoid them then? I actually fancy axial bfgoodrich krawlers, I might have to bite the bullet as I also want rc4wd wagon wheels too! Gulp!
The Vaterra tires are some of the best out of the box tires you will find. They are much better than Axial's. But they are still not the best. The Vaterra and Axial rubber compounds lag behind. Get yourself some ProLine tires. They're worth the money!
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 11:10 AM   #7
RCC Addict

Default Vaterra superswamper 1.9 tyres made by proline??

Vaterra make a couple different sizes of the TSL. The ones that come on the Ascender are larger than Proline's regular TSL SX, but smaller than Proline's XL tire. Pay attention to the shape, spacing, and width of the lugs. The Vaterra's are more consistently sized and spaced, whereas the Proline tires are more true-to-scale in terms of spacing. Proline's compound is of course much better than the stock Ascender tires, but don't rule those out. Once soaked in Simple Green they can be a pretty useful tire if had for the right money and budget is tight. If you can afford it, go with either of Proline's version, though if performance is your #1 goal.

In either case, don't run the stock foams. CI Deuce's Wild come in specific sizes for the Proline tires. I am running the Proline Dual Stage foams in my TSL XL's and they fit awesome!

Vaterra:

Proline TSL XL:

Last edited by LSXGMC; 07-11-2017 at 11:13 AM.
LSXGMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 11:27 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by btoungette View Post
I don't think they are a re-branded Proline. There are differences.

I've used both brands and both sizes of the Proline TSLs. I liked the Vaterra TSLs because of the size - right in between the Proline offerings. The Vaterra TSLs worked great on my C2 rig in 2016. I used CI closed cell foams in the rear and the ones that came with the tires in the front.
Vaterra TSL are not rebranded Proline. I love the perfect size of the Vaterra version and nice to have a size in between Proline's two sizes. I soaked mine in Simple Green and hot water for a couple days, using CI DW foams for Pro-Line TSLXL with the outer ribs trimmed off, works very well on both my Ascender K5 Blazer and K10.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSXGMC View Post
Vaterra make a couple different sizes of the TSL. The ones that come on the Ascender are larger than Proline's regular TSL SX, but smaller than Proline's XL tire....Proline's compound is of course much better than the stock Ascender tires, but don't rule those out. Once soaked in Simple Green they can be a pretty useful tire if had for the right money and budget is tight. If you can afford it, go with either of Proline's version, though if performance is your #1 goal.

In either case, don't run the stock foams. CI Deuce's Wild come in specific sizes for the Proline tires. I am running the Proline Dual Stage foams in my TSL XL's and they fit awesome!
X2, and the Vaterra TSL for Twin Hammers are smaller than the ones that come with Blazer and K10.

Edit; the Vaterra TSL are little shorter and narrower than Traxxas TRX-4 tires and look more scale-ish on the TRX4, there are pics of both my thread.
Natedog drives and rebuilds a TRX-4

Last edited by Natedog; 07-11-2017 at 11:30 AM.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 09:06 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

I was not impressed at first with my vaterra tires, but after some break in runs, they got much better. Climbed the same inclines Jato's pitbull's did....

Just for the record
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote

Vaterra superswamper 1.9 tyres made by proline?? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
PL Interco TSL SX SuperSwamper 1.9" G8 TacoCrawler Tires and Wheels 5 09-17-2014 02:17 PM
1.55 tsl sx superswamper no reduction kaneohecrawler Tires and Wheels 4 09-27-2011 07:13 PM
reduced superswamper testing from 2.2 to 1.9 kaneohecrawler Videos! 1 03-09-2011 04:35 PM