Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tires and Wheels

Notices

Thread: Tire Foams Rant

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2023, 12:04 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Tire Foams Rant

I know these tire companies are in it for thsale- but for crying out loud- why when you pay , imho, a pretty good price for hobby tires, the foams that come with them are- not that great. Like I said I understand profit margins- but...ok rant over back to crawling-
oldblue2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-2023, 04:06 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Tire Foams Rant

I find it quite irritating as well. Seems 90% of the time the foams that come with tires (if they come with foams at all!) are made for a 4lb rig. I get it, they can’t supply something that will work for everyone, but come on the average rig weighs 6-8lb! . At least give us a foam that is too stiff that we can cut and trim to work!

Getting back into crawling recently after 5+ years of being out of the hobby nothing has changed in that department! I just bought two sets of tires, and spent just as much as I did on tires for foam for them to work correctly.

Last edited by 2500hdon37s; 03-03-2023 at 04:08 PM.
2500hdon37s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2023, 05:31 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Sucks but it's probably the "best" way to cut cost and squeeze out a bit more profit. They also know that a lot of people will replace them anyway with PL or CI. And I hate to say it but there's a ton of positive reviews online for tires ( incl foams) where a whole segment of the crawling population isn't that particular about what foams go in their tires. Seems a lot of them are only concerned about the tires themselves and don't really consider how much foams play into overall performance.
high plains drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2023, 07:51 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Well at least I'm not alone in my opinion on this subject. Next month, for the first time I'm gonna buy some "quality" tires so sad I also have to buy "quality" foams to get 'em to do "quality" work. But I guess it'll give me some crawling cred with the guys lmao. Thanks for letting me vent-
Old 03-03-2023, 09:18 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

i agree i stoped using foams years ago i like to use a smaller tire inside the outer.tire.creating a air gap between the iner and outer tire
some one called them turdunkins so i ran with it
so if the tire is 4.75 i run a 4.2 tire inside and if the rig is.really heavy ill use the foams inside the inner tire sometimes if its really really heavy ill run the 4.75 foams inside the 4.2 tire
in my opinion it works great for scalers and they dont get flat spots like traditional closed cell foams like proline or crawler inovations foams
for a comp rig theres no beating a good CI foam but i cant aford those for my average scaler that sits on its wheels.for weeks or months at.a time
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2023, 10:45 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

I may try the "Hair Bun" method- it looks good- I also have some insulation (foam) that's about the right size too.
Old 03-04-2023, 01:36 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

For what it’s worth, I gave the $18 for 4 dual stage foams on Amazon a try (not the ones with the red inner foam, but the ones that look like the Proline ones, made for 4.7ish tires) and have been more than happy with them. I run 2 small vent holes in the tires and don’t run in water or mud and they’re holding up really well. I’m not a cheap ass and have plenty of tires with Proline, CI, and even Boom Racing dual stage foams. Just didn’t want to keep paying $40-$50 bucks for 4 inserts if I didn’t have to.
King Dork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2023, 03:29 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

I have issues with the price you are paying for RC tires in general. I mean everything is going through the roof but if I can get 10" tires for my lawn cart for $3.99 each and tires for my car last time I bought them were $50 each rc tires being $50-100 for a set of 4 seems like a rip off in the rubber per dollar ratio. I want to try out the silicone tuneable inserts sometime (can't remember what they are called...anti foam maybe) and also air filled like Gmade has but again $$ to start with.
350TacoZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2023, 04:37 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Oh you're correct- about the price- but I spent 30 bucks for 4 "crawler tires" from ebay and the beads tore after the 2nd run. They were great looking and looked like such a good deal. NOPE-
Old 03-12-2023, 01:24 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldblue2010 View Post
I may try the "Hair Bun" method- it looks good- I also have some insulation (foam) that's about the right size too.
I just grabbed a set of 4 from a Dollar Tree to try on my Jimny, just for the hell of it, cost me just over $5.00 with tax for 4.
BJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2023, 09:09 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Dork View Post
For what it’s worth, I gave the $18 for 4 dual stage foams on Amazon a try (not the ones with the red inner foam, but the ones that look like the Proline ones, made for 4.7ish tires) and have been more than happy with them. I run 2 small vent holes in the tires and don’t run in water or mud and they’re holding up really well. I’m not a cheap ass and have plenty of tires with Proline, CI, and even Boom Racing dual stage foams. Just didn’t want to keep paying $40-$50 bucks for 4 inserts if I didn’t have to.

I bought a set of the 4.6ish size ones also. Blue inner, I will say they’re not terrible, but the lack of a grooved cut on the hard cell so the outer moves around a bit. Easy-ish fix. But man are they heavy.. like easily double if not more the weight of proline or CI foams. I was shocked. To some people that might be good though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fricker08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 09:15 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

The included foams are to keep the tires shape in shipping, not for use.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 09:41 PM   #13
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH View Post

Facts
Nova's Ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2023, 01:03 AM   #14
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH View Post
Interesting, I never really thought about that being the reason they stuffed foams in the tires from the factory.
AK KRAWLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 08:24 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK KRAWLER View Post
Interesting, I never really thought about that being the reason they stuffed foams in the tires from the factory.
It keeps the tire shape so they aren't too wonky when in use and it makes the tires look full and robust so people will want to buy them.

Does anyone really think manufacturers wouldn't love to save the expense and to be able to pack more tires into the same shipping containers?
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 06:49 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fricker08 View Post
I bought a set of the 4.6ish size ones also. Blue inner, I will say they’re not terrible, but the lack of a grooved cut on the hard cell so the outer moves around a bit. Easy-ish fix. But man are they heavy.. like easily double if not more the weight of proline or CI foams. I was shocked. To some people that might be good though

https://www.amazon.com/GoHobby-Close...%2C112&sr=8-16

I’m almost certain that these are the ones that I bought. They look damn near identical to the Proline ones and are not any heavier. There are other ones that have blue inner foams that look identical to the ones with the red inner foams and they’re significantly heavier (per customer reviews). Guessing the ones you got are not the same ones that I got. I didn’t measure them on a scale but they felt (in the hand) to be the same weight as the Prolines.
King Dork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 08:30 PM   #17
RCC Addict

Quote:
https://www.amazon.com/GoHobby-Close...%2C112&sr=8-16

I’m almost certain that these are the ones that I bought. They look damn near identical to the Proline ones and are not any heavier. There are other ones that have blue inner foams that look identical to the ones with the red inner foams and they’re significantly heavier (per customer reviews). Guessing the ones you got are not the same ones that I got. I didn’t measure them on a scale but they felt (in the hand) to be the same weight as the Prolines.

Thanks for the link man

Fricker08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 09:35 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
I purchased the foams in the link and can confirm that they are a light weight version, and very similar to the PL duals. Not sure when I will get around to put them in my sons truck but I was happy about the purchase.
hnoroian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 02:19 AM   #19
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Here nice comparison--> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6NfX4rUdHE
themountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 06:39 AM   #20

Ive actually been pretty happy with the stock proline foams for the most part. Although I am trying a set of no foams as I run wide wheels and the proline foams aint wide enough to fill the tire.
RecklessTrent91 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tire Foams Rant - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Proline TSL tire sizing Rant!! PIMPNROCKS Tires and Wheels 14 11-23-2015 09:32 AM
[Rant] I hate Western Digital [/rant] FrankyRizzo Chit Chat 41 05-03-2007 03:29 PM