RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Tires and Wheels (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/tires-wheels/)
-   -   Wheel axle holes so oversized! Why???? (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/tires-wheels/612940-wheel-axle-holes-so-oversized-why.html)

Stomp 11-04-2019 01:10 PM

Wheel axle holes so oversized! Why????

I have been looking for another set of aluminum bead lock wheels and most of the ones I am seeing have a 6.7mm hole for the axle. Why is the axle mounting hole so large? That is much larger then the standard crawler axle.

Example:

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/MzIAA...eV/s-l1600.jpg

WHITE-TRASH 11-04-2019 01:14 PM

Re: Wheel axle holes so oversized! Why????

Because those use an slw type hub that can be used with a stepped ar60 type hex.

Stomp 11-04-2019 01:23 PM

Thanks for the quick reply. So if I were to get a set of wheels like this I would need new hex's and possibly a nut with a flange?

QuesoDelDiablo 11-04-2019 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stomp (Post 5975012)
Thanks for the quick reply. So if I were to get a set of wheels like this I would need new hex's and possibly a nut with a flange?

You could replace the hexes with stepped ones but I wouldn't even worry about it if I was you. Barrel nuts are also a good solution.

The wheel hex does 70% of the centering so I'd run them as is. I've currently got 2 sets of wheels running this way and they're completely fine.

You can get away with a lot on crawler/trail rigs that's technically not ideal but at the speeds these things move they aren't really a problem.

HumboldtEF 11-04-2019 05:24 PM

Yeah it works without using an Axial stepped hex but I sure wish we could get away from the giant holes. I run a lot of scale hubs and if you tighten them down without using a slightly larger washer the locknut gets pulled out of the scale hub (SSD hubs).

We can all thank Axial for these giant holes :roll:

HumboldtEF 11-04-2019 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hobbyjumper (Post 5975071)
So true about SSD. I use flanged locknuts instead of a washer.

Do you mean inside of the SSD scale hubs or just by themselves?

HumboldtEF 11-04-2019 07:12 PM

Got it, thanks

rockhugger 11-04-2019 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HumboldtEF (Post 5975070)
We can all thank Axial for these giant holes :roll:

Actually, you can thank HPI for that one. Since a lot of the first axial crawler (Scorpion) parts were carry overs from HPI bits, and correct me if I'm wrong, I think one of the dudes that started Axial left HPI to do so, therefore a lot of the parts were identical.

Ring and pinion diff carriers etc were all the same, hexes all the same, plastics.... uh, yeah... the same.... garbage back in the 2006-7 day. :mrgreen:

Natedog 11-07-2019 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockhugger (Post 5975104)
Actually, you can thank HPI for that one. Since a lot of the first axial crawler (Scorpion) parts were carry overs from HPI bits, and correct me if I'm wrong, I think one of the dudes that started Axial left HPI to do so, therefore a lot of the parts were identical.

Ring and pinion diff carriers etc were all the same, hexes all the same, plastics.... uh, yeah... the same.... garbage back in the 2006-7 day. :mrgreen:

Yep. Thankfully they are moving away from the giant wheel center holes (and into the present) ie. Capra. :ror:"thumbsup"

HumboldtEF 11-07-2019 05:42 PM

Interesting, Thanks Paul!

Hey hows that crazy Ascender build coming?