Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tires and Wheels

Notices

Thread: RC4WD Goodyear Adventures & Pit Bull Berserkers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2020, 08:35 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default RC4WD Goodyear Adventures & Pit Bull Berserkers

I haven’t seen much discussion on these 2 tires and I’m wondering why? c’mon look at all the scale-ness on these beauties!

The RC4WDs surprised me w/the level of grip on every surface (aside from wood?) After trying PB Berserkers indoors and seeing how much better they gripped wood, I bought a set thinking same would apply outdoors.... I was wrong.

Side by side experience from last Sunday:
(Disclaimer: *NOT AN EXPERT* which is why I’m posting/asking on here! LOL)

Conditions were COLD and dry.
Both on stock foams.
Both on same wheel type.
Both are 110mm.
Both are considered “scale” tires.
NOTE: PBs were NOT broken in in anyway

PBs immediately caked up with clay making them almost useless while the RC4WDs still had tire contact in the same exact spot.

I.e. Below is a trail section that takes ZERO thought with the RC4WDs, while the Pit Bulls required some steering input...

PBs DID do well on wet rocks but RC4WDs did even better.

The RC4WD’s design and foams are much softer and tend to (REALLY) fold over and “push” out while side-hilling (especially when turning). The PBs were more stable in this situation as they’re much stiffer. This caused a lot of bouncing and tire spinning on all surfaces as well...

Over all once I switched back to the RC4WD Goodyear Wrangler Adventure (exhausting) tires, I was having a much better time.

I’m not trying to bash the Pit Bulls! Just looking for tips on these tires since I can’t find any suggestions here or online... Maybe someone can chime in! any secret soaps and pre-break in secrets? Proper foams?

Again I’m no expert as seen below lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
VR6 BeelzeDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-13-2020, 09:23 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: RC4WD Goodyear Adventures & Pit Bull Berserkers

Some tires simply work better than others. Every situation is different. Tread design, rubber compound, driving surface, moisture content, driver habits, truck weight, foam, etc.

It's comical at times how people want the internet to tell them how to make a tire work better for them. Like text on a screen means more than your own experience in the field. You tested two tires and one worked great by the sounds of it. I don't understand the issue.
LSXGMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 09:51 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Never seen those RC4WD tires before, they do look nice and scale.

Thanks for bringing them to my attention, cheers!

Looks like you ran em unvented?

Last edited by Xx Losungen xX; 02-13-2020 at 09:57 AM.
Xx Losungen xX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 10:02 AM   #4
Slow is the new Fast

The Berserkers are top tier tires in my opinion. Love the size and the performance. I have run them them on mixed terrain(mud and fungus/moss littered Precambrian shield). Great rubber compound and tread blocking for a relatively scale tire.

Couldn't comment on the Adventures, but they sure look nice...

(now I will likely get a set)
smog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 11:10 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSXGMC View Post
Some tires simply work better than others.... It's comical at times how people want the internet to tell them how to make a tire work better for them. Like text on a screen means more than your own experience in the field. You tested two tires and one worked great by the sounds of it. I don't understand the issue.

I’m just looking for someones experience with these. Such as “yeah the stock foams are prob stiff for a rig like yours, I tried _________ foams on my similar rig and it I’ll never use another tire again!” Lol I’m fully aware the ole net won’t solve my life’s problems :-D

I already spend $85 on these assuming they behave similarly to other PBs and don’t want to experiment with foams. They’re marketed as scale tires so probably assume most are using on heavy rigs...

Old 02-13-2020, 11:27 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xx Losungen xX View Post
Never seen those RC4WD tires before, they do look nice and scale.

Thanks for bringing them to my attention, cheers!

Looks like you ran em unvented?

Yeah I like just looking at em lol and No prob! Also yes they’re all unvented.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smog View Post
The Berserkers are top tier tires in my opinion. Love the size and the performance. I have run them them on mixed terrain(mud and fungus/moss littered Precambrian shield). Great rubber compound and tread blocking for a relatively scale tire.

(now I will likely get a set)
Good to hear
Did they soften up after some use? The compound feels sticky especially after washing them a few times... maybe it was just too cold when I tried them.

Lol sure another set of tires? Why not!

Old 02-13-2020, 12:06 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

The Newer RC4WD compound is great in most conditions, and historically RC4WD foams are soft and undersized IMO. I think this is mainly what you are noticing.... The Bezerkers will most definitely break in. Mine did. I started with a lil nova w/ medium outers on a 9lb scaler. Let your testing begin!
Lanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 12:25 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

The hell with the tires!!! Did you make those bandit stickers? That was one of my first cars. Just cool to see!!
Joshs4x4toyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 12:36 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanky View Post
The Newer RC4WD compound is great in most conditions, and historically RC4WD foams are soft and undersized IMO. I think this is mainly what you are noticing.... The Bezerkers will most definitely break in. Mine did. I started with a lil nova w/ medium outers on a 9lb scaler. Let your testing begin!

That's probably true regarding RC4WD foams (def in this case)... Some proper inserts on these tires will come soon. Just need to learn more about foams cuz the more driving I do, the more I understand what people are saying.

What size Lil Novas did you try? 4.5?

Great info, thanks!
Old 02-13-2020, 01:01 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshs4x4toyz View Post
The hell with the tires!!! Did you make those bandit stickers? That was one of my first cars. Just cool to see!!

Ha awesome! Someone gets it... No I did not make them. They’re from MCI Racing. I found his site as the silver paint was drying. No prob though... cuz you can just choose your own colors!

Old 02-13-2020, 01:16 PM   #11

The Bandit was awesome. And that truck looks great with the decals! The quality of MCI decals is lacking, but they have a huge variety of stuff.

I have the Berserkers and they are good tires - not great, but good. They clog up easily, but if it's dry they are pretty good. The look is great though.

I'm just not a big fan of RC4WD tires. Even the newest compound is just OK. It's soft and sticky (at first), but the tread and carcass just rolls over too easily even with better foams.

Last edited by JatoTheRipper; 02-13-2020 at 01:20 PM.
JatoTheRipper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 01:55 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by VR6 BeelzeDub View Post
Also yes they’re all unvented.
Nice, that's how I run too, I'll be getting these, thanks again!
Xx Losungen xX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 03:30 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

The foams I am running in the Bezerkers are 4.25" https://www.rpphobby.com/product_p/cwr-2015.htm
Lanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 03:58 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
The Bandit was awesome. And that truck looks great with the decals! The quality of MCI decals is lacking, but they have a huge variety of stuff.

I have the Berserkers and they are good tires - not great, but good. They clog up easily, but if it's dry they are pretty good. The look is great though.

I'm just not a big fan of RC4WD tires. Even the newest compound is just OK. It's soft and sticky (at first), but the tread and carcass just rolls over too easily even with better foams.

Thank you! I’ve heard that about MCI Racing, but the ones still available from the original manufacturer seem ok. At least print quality wise...

Regarding your take on these tires, seems to be confirming what I was worried about... The set I tried (indoor course) were on weighted wheels and heavily broken in so I still have hope and may have them reserved for slow driving days.

I’m probably gonna try the CI foams Lanky suggested for the Pit Bulls.

Quote:
The foams I am running in the Bezerkers are 4.25" https://www.rpphobby.com/product_p/cwr-2015.htm

Thanks for the good info

Old 02-13-2020, 04:00 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xx Losungen xX View Post
Nice, that's how I run too, I'll be getting these, thanks again!

No problem!

Old 02-13-2020, 04:09 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

X2, my 1.55 Berserkers are very scale appearing and good tires on my TF2, but they are not good in mud (tread blocks closely spaced) and just ok in loose dirt/sand for the same reason and they are not particularly wide. I'm using stock foams so far which surprised me as fine so far.

Edit: I do love the look of RC4WD Goodyear Adventures and they might work better with different foams.

Last edited by Natedog; 02-14-2020 at 10:07 AM.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 07:16 PM   #17
Slow is the new Fast

Quote:
Good to hear
Did they soften up after some use? The compound feels sticky especially after washing them a few times... maybe it was just too cold when I tried them.

Lol sure another set of tires? Why not!

I did soak mine in Simple Green before running them. I find them sticky enough for the mixed terrain I am on. Cold weather definitely affects tire performance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
X2, my 1.55 Berserkers are very scale appearing and good tires on my TF2, but they are not good in mud (tread blocks closely spaced) and just ok in loose dirt/sand for the same reason and they are not particularly wide. I'm using stock foams so far which surprised me as fine so far.
I haven't run mine in any goopy mud, but I have found they work well enough over dry mud and dirty/mossy/rooty/fungus ridden Precambrian shield. That said, I do agree that open tread blocks make a superior performing tire over these conditions. My RC4WD MTR's are likely my favorites.
smog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 08:20 AM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
... Let your testing begin!

YEP! Got a lot of mixin’ n matchin ahead of me.

Looks like I’m getting some green slime and 4.25 CI Lil Novas...

I’m thinking the foams will only improve the Pit Bulls and maybe the 2 stage will help with the RC4WD tires folding over.

Regular or comp cut?

Old 03-10-2020, 12:28 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Default RC4WD Goodyear Adventures & Pit Bull Berserkers

In case anyone cares, just wanted to update this post after testing something out...

I put the much softer (stock) RC4WD foams in the Pit Bulls and what a difference! They didn’t fold over like the RC4WDs but they deformed enough to bite ledges, lips, etc. traction in mud improved, but as mentioned previously they still caked up pretty badly.

Over all I’m happy with them and I’m sure a more appropriate single stage foam will be even better.

I also tried the Pit Bull foams in the RC4WD tires and it’s clear that these foams are meant for a heavy scale rig.

Old 03-10-2020, 05:37 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I haven't run mine in any goopy mud, but I have found they work well enough over dry mud and dirty/mossy/rooty/fungus ridden Precambrian shield. That said, I do agree that open tread blocks make a superior performing tire over these conditions. My RC4WD MTR's are likely my favorites.

Agreed.

Quote:
I put the much softer (stock) RC4WD foams in the Pit Bulls and what a difference! They didn’t fold over like the RC4WDs but they deformed enough to bite ledges, lips, etc. traction in mud improved, but as mentioned previously they still caked up pretty badly.

Over all I’m happy with them and I’m sure a more appropriate single stage foam will be even better.

I also tried the Pit Bull foams in the RC4WD tires and it’s clear that these foams are meant for a heavy scale rig.

Interesting and sounds about right, but the RC4WD foams will probably get too soft once broken in. The Pitbull stock foams didn't look that great when I mounted my tires, but they are working well, defiinitely stiffer than I thought they'd be...so far so good in my TF2 which is heavier.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote

RC4WD Goodyear Adventures & Pit Bull Berserkers - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Starting off RPP Hobby's 12 Days of Christmas with Pit Bull RC 20% off all Pit Bull RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 0 12-03-2018 09:22 AM
C.I. & Pit Bull Tires, together at last in one package.... Nova's Ark Crawler Innovations 101 01-11-2016 11:05 PM