Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tires and Wheels

Notices

Thread: Duallies?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2004, 05:23 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Duallies?

Where should I buy a set of Imex Duallies? Are they good when they are narrowed to one for crawling? What other tires would be good for crawling? I was thinking of Imex Jumbo Kongs, or Outbacks with big Joes, which one of those would be good?

jugg_crawler
jugg_crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-2004, 09:36 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Duallies?

The duallies are a good choice but rather small. About 6 inches, I believe. I think the best choice may be the BFT's at almost 7 inches and they are very soft and durable.
I am trying the kongs but I will narrow them first. You can read my report at the end of the week on them.
The Outbacks with Big Joes should NOT even be a consideration for crawling. They are horrible!
DirkDigler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 10:50 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Do you have any idea how many people say that the big joes is a good crawling tire? Then they wont bealive me when I tell them what is good.
MaxxZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 05:16 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Alright well I thought that the Big Joes were horrible just wanted to make sure. I wanted duallies because they are nice and skinny and they look awsome too when they're narrowed. Thanks for the help.

jugg_crawler
jugg_crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 06:00 PM   #5

The reason big joe's and tires like them are not good for crawling is because you want a soft tire with a tall sidewall so it will partially collapse to conform to the shape of the rock you are trying to climb. This is why fullsize rigs run very low air pressure in their tires.
Old 04-17-2004, 07:36 PM   #6
RCC Addict

You can get the duallies for $42 for 2 at tower now. Then get some stock rims and cut them down.
AdamF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 03:59 PM   #7

what width rim do you need to run the duallies? has imex discontinued them? i had some ordered from tower and they sent me a card saying they were discontinued.
Old 07-08-2004, 09:31 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxxZilla
Do you have any idea how many people say that the big joes is a good crawling tire? Then they wont bealive me when I tell them what is good.

*cough dumbass RCCA crawler project cough*

I wonder how many people read the artical in the monster truck issue with that yellow hummer in it and said "Man that thing must be the ultimate crawler LOL!!!!!."
Highmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 10:44 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

i would never belive a thing that rcca says cause look a the total crap they test but yet they still give it a great review ive never ever seen it say something bad they can test a freakin radio shack hunk o junk and they would say its good ahhh they are going to be the fall of the rc industty tellin people extreme bullshit so to rcca thats for you buddy
firstumustcrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004, 01:38 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

jugg_crawler: Tire experimentation in the areas that you will be crawling at is the best way to find out what will or will not work for you. Rock-crawling traction is dependant upon a tire's ability to be soft enough to mold itself to the rocks, yet still bieng stiff enough to impose some friction/resistance/wieght upon the rocks. Here is a few setups that seem to be all around stand-by tires:
Cut Clod/TXT tires (on narrowed wheels) spent a good amount of time at the top of the list. JK's MudCow ran them exclusively for a few crawling seasons. I run them now.
I have crawled with guys running un-cut Associated BFT tires and also some running un-cut HPI Savage tires. I did not see any clear and present advantage with any single set of tires; mainly because each truck was set up differently. We all ran the same obstacles. Each of us found lines that worked for our different trucks. All 3 trucks were basically evenly matched all day, despite different setups and tires. Nobody got left behind or out-crawled. So, I saw no real "winning tire" there, despite the variety.
JK's MudCow also ran cut Jugg tires for a while. If I recall correctly, JK was also pleased with the cut Juggs. They are slightly taller than Clod/TXT tires (more clearance under the diffs), and they flex relatively well when cut.
I've seen regular MAXX size tires perform really well. I've seen tall tires on MAXX wheels (associated BFT) work well. I've seen Clod size tires on narrowed wheels work well. I've also seen cut Jugg tires on narrowed wheels work just as well as any others.
All of these different trucks and setups have found a way to work. Wieght distribution, shock tuning, gearing, and keeping the CoG down low are all things that affect crawling ability just as much as tire selection. All of this is stuff that you will have to tune to your personal style and crawling area. Don't be afraid to experiment and try something different! Somewhere, there is a way to make just about anything work!!!!!! I hope that all of this typing helps! Vince
fullmodtxt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004, 08:45 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstumustcrawl
i would never belive a thing that rcca says cause look a the total crap they test but yet they still give it a great review
Don't forget they love anything with the word Traxxas in or around it. Heck they still say the TMAXX is a competitive RC stock...blah blah blah.
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote