Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: Want to Try Brazing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2009, 04:18 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Want to Try Brazing

I've read thrugh the sticky so I think I know everything to get. I already have a torch head but I want one that self-ignites. I have some metal rod from Home Depot and some 1/4" brakeline. Could get some 3/16 too. I'm sure Home Depot sells all the flux and braze I will need. Going to have to pick up some magnets too.

My question is, im wanting to make some bumpers, rock sliders, and maybe an exo-cage for my J/K. It needs to be different. Im going to atleast make some tube fenders to tie into the bumers and sliders because I keep cracking them, is brakeline strong enough for a rig as big as a NB J/K 2.2?

The thing has to weigh atleast 10lbs with the steel square tube frame I made. I think if i'm hlaf way decent i'm also going to remake the frame and piecut it for the bends instead of heating and bending. Also want to make all the crossmembers and shock mounts out of metal and braze them to the frame instead of using bolts. Is a brazed joint just as strong or stronger than the original metal it connects?

Any other tips before I try would be greatly appreciated. Off to search for 1:1 bumpers to get ideas from...
maxxa87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-2009, 10:46 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

To start off with, I'm not sure if Home Depot will have what you need. I went to a local welding supply shop and got my stuff. The tubing should be strong enough, IF you braze it properly. If you do braze it properly, your joint should be stronger than the metal.
mudrinner4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 11:27 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I'm going to check tomorrow. I remember the one by me having quite a bit of stuff over where I bought my last MAPP bottle at.
Old 02-25-2009, 10:20 AM   #4
RCC Addict

Don't use Home Depot braze - it is not easy to work with and not as good of quality as Safety Silv. I am fairly new to the brazing scene, but I bought a kit with the trigger ignition and the older gas before MAPP Pro. Get the safety silv 56 and flux and learn away.
O.C.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 10:30 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

i agree, safety silv. for me learning bending radii was much harder than learning how to braze. now i dont have a rig that doesnt have something brazed on it
ajcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 07:09 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Where can I order the safety silver and flux online? I already have some 1/8 solid tube. I think i'm going to try and use that so that I can bend it and not worry about crimping it.
Old 02-26-2009, 07:19 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxxa87 View Post
Where can I order the safety silver and flux online? I already have some 1/8 solid tube. I think i'm going to try and use that so that I can bend it and not worry about crimping it.
just look in the phone book for welding supply shop. not too many places online, and it is usually a much higher price.

p!nK
mrpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 10:57 PM   #8
RCC Addict

i have used both 45 and 56 i personaly went back to 45, i have never broken a joint on my truck and have ran it full throtle into a wall just to see if i could break it. and it flows smother at a lower temp, imo.
jeepcj578 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 03:53 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

The shop by me sells Forney products. I wasn't sure what to get so I decided to ask you guys first.

Heres a link to their site:http://www.forneyind.com

And heres the one brazing rod I seen that wasn't for aluminum:http://www.forneyind.com/searchdetai...roductID=48490

I found this flux for brazing:http://www.forneyind.com/proddetail.cfm?ProductID=37250

Last edited by maxxa87; 02-27-2009 at 03:58 PM.
Old 02-27-2009, 08:31 PM   #10
RCC Addict

DONT get any thig with flux on it, it sucks
this stuff will get you going, i like a brasing rod over a spool and the link is for 45 but they have 56 they are kinda expensive but now you know what to look for, trust me shop around

http://www.airgas.com/browse/product...73&WT.svl=3773

http://www.airgas.com/browse/product...&WT.svl=246456
jeepcj578 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 07:51 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

If you want some tips and info on brazing equipment and techniques
here is a site with more than enough, click on the arrow for more:
http://www.handyharmancanada.com/The...Book/bbook.htm
Hope this helps some of you guys.
caymin last is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 11:56 AM   #12
Pebble Pounder

I have done a lot of brazing and for me safety silver 56 and paste flux. I use a regular bottle of map gas but with a high flow tip I got from autozone. The part number is MT245C and it was about $20. That combo will turn the joint red in about 8 to 10 seconds. I use triangular welding magnets, got from harbor freight for $1 each. If you have access to a mig welder that will help. I would cut my sections out and then tack weld them into place to hold them for brazing. I prefer brazing over welding due to the flow characteristics of braze. Hope this helps and good luck.
STJ7780 is offline   Reply With Quote