Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: Cross slide vise for drill press?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2009, 09:25 PM   #1

Default Cross slide vise for drill press?

Okay so i am just curious if anyone has tried a cross slide vise on there drill press.. I worked in a machine shop in the military for about 2 years so i understand that it will not be very accurate. But im just looking for something to machine some link brackets, servo trays, skid plate etc.. etc. out of teflon or nylon. Any thoughts on what brand.. Shop fox looks like they have a finer adjustment but there are some other harbor freight and northern tool brands that are available.

Josh
396sahara is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-2009, 11:38 PM   #2
DBR
Quarry Creeper

If anything subscribes to the "you get what you pay for" principle, it is machine equipment. Baring advice from the boards, I would look up user reviews on places like amazon. Take everything with a grain of salt since there is no accounting for idiots on the net that can't read simple directions to figure out that they have mounted the vice on backwards and that is why they can't reach the adjustment nobs. Good luck in the search and tell us what you got. I am thinking of doing the same thing.
DBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 08:09 AM   #3
Ex Nor-CalRCRC slave

I got a cheapo harbor frt unit. I think a mini mill would be what your looking for. The cross slide is better for just lining things up to drill, but is not really accurate enough for machining. It would work if you wanted to make a slot in something, but to fabricate and shape, even a harbor frt mill would be better than a cross slide. I have been using a friends HF mill, and the table still has a bit of slop, but worked for what I had to do.
gunnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 08:17 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

NO! A drill press's bearings are not made for side load, only straight down... eventually the bearings will wear enough that your chuck could become loose, catch in whatever you are trying to mill, and send $hit flying. Do a little research on a machining forum... This is not advised...
PEDEcrawlerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 08:30 AM   #5
No idea what I'm doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEDEcrawlerguy View Post
NO! A drill press's bearings are not made for side load, only straight down... eventually the bearings will wear enough that your chuck could become loose, catch in whatever you are trying to mill, and send $hit flying. Do a little research on a machining forum... This is not advised...

What he said. A drill press really isn't your answer here. Not only are the bearings a problem, but most drill press chucks use a morse taper that will come loose when vibration and side loads are introduced. A similar setup is used for a drill chuck on a mill and I have seen people here use endmills in the drill chuck, only to have it come loose, pop out and ruin their workpiece as well as the drill chuck. If you want to make a striaght line of holes that's one thing, but I wouldn't try to "mill" parts with it. Just my 2 cents worth.
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 08:42 AM   #6
Ex Nor-CalRCRC slave

Agreed with both of the above answers, but the OP is talkng about plastic. It also depends alot on how big the press is. In my case, it's a 20" Craftsman floor press. I have used it to to make a 1/4" slot in nylon(one time only) with no problems. I would recommend a very slow feed rate and low speed on the drill. Like I said, a cross slide should be used for lining things up, not as a machining table.
gunnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 11:28 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

XX2 for the not advised.... Due to slop in the various moveing parts there is a high liklyhood it will grab and rip the part out of thew vise/clamps.... With plastics you might get away with it buy I personally will not recomend it. A standard jacobs chuck is not all that accurate with that being said makes it dangerous. Then there is the chuck coming loose part another oooooh sh**
Lonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 01:48 PM   #8

Lol .. i completely understand the not advised part... I understand the bearings are not designed for any sort of side load. HOwever. I was just curious if anyone had tried it with a cross slide vise. I am only looking at this because i needed to machine a few parts out of nylon and poly or lexan. No metals what so ever. And the basic idea was to machine the shape out and finish rounding corners and such with me dremel. My drill press does have a morse taper and i had seven stitches to prove it. Thats why the chuck is now welded to the shaft lol... i dont want to invest any money in a mini mill that i have no use for. I have machined quit a few small pieces from aluminum stock on the press. I just have to clamp cut , reposition clamp cut.. I have been using 1/4 to 3/8 4 flute roughing endmills with minimal chatter.

anyways. thanks for the warnings guys and i guess that means ill save the 100 bucks.
Old 03-02-2009, 03:15 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

never say never. it sounds like you have done some milling, and have found out the hazards of a less than perfect fit of a morse taper. do heed the caveat about side loading your bearings, but for minimal use like you are talking about, it can be done. but is it worth the price for just a few uses?
rex cars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 03:50 PM   #10

well it probably is.. and it will help me more precisely align holes for drilling motor mount plates and such in my nitro.. i might wind up trying it and if i do ill keep you guys informed..
Old 03-03-2009, 08:55 AM   #11
DBR
Quarry Creeper

Another thought, you could always look into the small pop&son metal shops and see if you can sweet talk them into letting you borrow some machine time. If you show some aptitude, and are intelligent/considerate enough, they may take pity on you and let you use a mill for a few minutes.
DBR is offline   Reply With Quote