Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: sripped set screw

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2009, 01:25 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default sripped set screw

So my pinion gear came off yesterday i put a new one on but stripped the iniside of the set screw. im looking for a way to get it out any ideas would be great haha
jammin311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-18-2009, 01:55 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

I don't imagine there is room to dremel/file/cut a straight notch in that little thing so it'll take a small flathead screwdriver?

If it's not "totally" stripped, you might try a bigger size Allen wrench or screwdriver that will fit more snuggly... If you can get it out just a little, you may be able to grab the head and twist with some vice grips.
JeepinOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 02:01 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

ill have to try that i think i can cut it for a flathead screw driver if i take the motor out. i tried to but a bigger allen in ther it still wont fit tho.
Old 06-18-2009, 02:04 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

If you have a spare/cheap Allen wrench, you may be able to file it down a bit to fit exactly the size hole left in the screw.

Last edited by JeepinOR; 06-24-2009 at 12:48 PM. Reason: spelling
JeepinOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 07:14 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

I recently had a set screw on a yoke strip on me... Get a small EZ-out( screw extractor)... I used one made for a #4 screw... i think...
PEDEcrawlerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 09:09 PM   #6
No idea what I'm doing

You can also try a Torx driver if you have one that is close in size. I have people bring me stripped allen heads all the time at work, and it's always the first thing I try.
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 09:46 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

you might also try a reverse tap for english threads,,,you can get them in 2-56 and 4-40 etc,drill out the set screw with the appropriate sized bit and use the reverse tap,,worked a couple times for me
rmdesignworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 10:21 PM   #8
No idea what I'm doing

Another trick is left hand drill bits. Often the screw will stick on the tip of the bit, and back itself out.....that's usually the second thing I try.
Old 06-18-2009, 10:40 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Hit it with some heat (butane torch, soldering iron etc...) first if there's loctite on the threads. That will help loosen it up.
chrisjlittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 10:55 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

if all else fails, take the wrench you have that fit it originally and super glue that thing in there. then just turn it out. be careful not to glue the set screw though. it has worked for me a couple of times.
calcat430d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 02:31 PM   #11
No idea what I'm doing

In the future, check your hex wrenches frequently.....especially those small ones. Whenever I have one that looks like it could strip a screw, I touch up the end on a belt sander until it has a nice sharp tip again. Just be careful not to heat it up too much.
Old 06-24-2009, 08:57 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

I would replace your 1.5mm hex driver!! I was using Duratrax drivers and they are cast tips, machined hex drivers make all the difference! I use Hudy drivers now, a bit pricey but really nice. Dynamite makes a great inexpensive set: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=270374549807 Everyone already offered the best advice to get it out... This is best to avoid that situation. good luck.

Also, you could just trash the pinion and drill it out... last resort anyhow..
rdtshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 09:19 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

well i ended up finding a bigger allen and sanding it down a touch work great. thanks for all of your help. rdtshaw i already got better drivers. but thanks this is all good advise for any other noobies out there haha.
Old 06-24-2009, 11:54 AM   #14
Rock Crawler

I brazed onto the set screw and then just spun it out
about 3 mins to do
glad you were able to get it out
nmanuel01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 01:49 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

i just use a small pair of dikes to get my stripped stuff out .

works everytime!
peyton. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 06:32 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

If you use a drill bit larger than the hole but smaller than the screw you can just drill it out to.
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 05:09 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormin2u View Post
If you use a drill bit larger than the hole but smaller than the screw you can just drill it out to.
That means the screw would have to be larger than the hole its screwed into.

I've used everything from the fancy ball type hex wrenches which results in the ball breaking off and sticking in the screw head to the expensive Craftsman and Snapon allen wrenches.

After a lifetime of hex head frustration in my own profession the absolute best set of hex wrenches I own and have never had a problem with was a cheap set of chrome plated looking ones I got from Harbor Freight of all things and places.

2 years of daily use and that stupid cheap set of allen wrenches still look and perform like new. I work them hard as well, often putting vice grips on them to get more leverage when breaking tough screws free. Have never once needed to grind one down to refresh it, never stripped out a set screw since using them. No idea what "brand" they even are, just know I bought them one day at Harbor Freight, expected them to last about 1 screw each.

I'd say I'd never buy any other set of hex wrenches again other than those cheap chrome plated looking harbor freight ones, but it looks like after spending that whole $2 on that set I'll never need to buy another set again.
Ampdraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 06:37 AM   #18

Try using a Torx key slightly larger. Often the shape of the head manages to dig/bite into the stripped head and remove the screw.
slackman99 is offline   Reply With Quote