Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: Sieg x3 mill - have one??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2009, 04:32 PM   #1
I joined the Band!

Default Sieg x3 mill - have one??

Anyone have any experience with the sieg x3 mill? Its sold under a bunch of different mames, grizzley, harbor freight, etc.. The sherline ond other mills just seem so small and limited and I have no place to put a bridgeport. It can be converted to cnc for under 3K. Whats the best bang for the buck for like 3K??
outofreach is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-2009, 07:10 PM   #2

I've been using the Grizzly branded model for a bit over a year now. For the money I'm not sure you can find a better machine. I regularly cut aluminum and many varieties of plastic with no problems up to about a 5/8 cutter. I've done some stainless, but it takes some patience. I haven't converted to CNC as I got a deal on an 3-axis automated Bridgeport, so I will most likely keep the Grizzly manual just for tinkering.
I suppose if I could complain about anything it would be the small amount of y-axis travel. I have a 4" Kurt, so maybe it is my vise that limits it so much, but once the vice is bolted to the table I have to run it way to one end to get my part centered under the spindle. As I said though, I would imagine with a different vise it may be a non-issue.

Did you have any specific questions, or want any specific pictures?
fastev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 10:56 PM   #3
I joined the Band!

Thanks for the info

Just trying to make sure I don't get 3k in it and then regret it. But it sounds like I can't do better for the $.
Old 07-23-2009, 12:35 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

http://www.mini-lathe.com/X3_mill/Sx3rvw/SX3-4.htm
plus there is a bunch of yahoo groups, but be prepared as those groups go all over the place.
Joat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 04:09 AM   #5

Just picked one up myself a week ago.
http://www.pbase.com/spiked3/machining

CNC conversion effort in progress. So far I have been pleased with the machining work on the machine itself. I was a little worried after watching quality take a bit of a hit a couple of years ago. It seems like they corrected the bad trend.
X3 via harbor freight with 20% coupon - $800
CNC Fusion Ballscrew CNC conversion - $569
2X400oz/1X600oz servos & encoders - $675
Power Supply/3X gecko 320 - $450
Mach3/CamBam software - $315
total = $2809
That's my list around $3k
I did a sherline several years back. Fun machine, great for learning, but yes, it gets small quick.
spiked3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 09:23 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiked3 View Post
Just picked one up myself a week ago.
http://www.pbase.com/spiked3/machining

CNC conversion effort in progress. So far I have been pleased with the machining work on the machine itself. I was a little worried after watching quality take a bit of a hit a couple of years ago. It seems like they corrected the bad trend.
X3 via harbor freight with 20% coupon - $800
CNC Fusion Ballscrew CNC conversion - $569
2X400oz/1X600oz servos & encoders - $675
Power Supply/3X gecko 320 - $450
Mach3/CamBam software - $315
total = $2809
That's my list around $3k
I did a sherline several years back. Fun machine, great for learning, but yes, it gets small quick.
Sounds like a nice build. Have you looked into air powered draw bars at all? I know a few people that have installed them, though, not sure what setup they used.
I suppose that could be my other complaint, swapping collets is kind of a pain.
Old 07-24-2009, 12:35 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastev View Post
Sounds like a nice build. Have you looked into air powered draw bars at all? I know a few people that have installed them, though, not sure what setup they used...
Thanks. Yes, I have drooled at air/auto some. I will wait and see how much I do with the new machine. The CNC conversion itself is as much fun as using it for me. If I do start using it a lot, the first thing will probably be an enclosure so I can run flood. I plan on getting a couple r8 end mill holders and leave the sizes I use most often in them. Changing an r8 seems pretty quick.
http://hossmachine.info/
I think that guy has some info on power tool stuff. maybe someday.
Old 07-24-2009, 12:47 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

http://littlemachineshop.com/product...=2937&category=
Old 07-24-2009, 01:14 AM   #9
I joined the Band!

I ordered my mill so i'm stuck now

There is so much info on this mill and possible conversion options might take a bit to sort it all out and get it ordered. It there are any must haves let me know.

Old 07-24-2009, 08:33 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by outofreach View Post
I ordered my mill so i'm stuck now

There is so much info on this mill and possible conversion options might take a bit to sort it all out and get it ordered. It there are any must haves let me know.

A couple of years ago, i had the sherline going, but i started to look for a bigger mill and could not find anything I (or anyone else) liked. So I quit looking. Then a month ago when I started looking again it became obvious that the X3 was pleasing everyone. I haven't used mine yet (still assembling) but I am excited, it looks like it is going to be a pleasure. I may end up building the flood enclosure sooner than later.

The must haves as far as I am concerned are; a clamping kit; end mill holders; a way to tram it (indicators and mounts, shim stock) - that should get you going. I have a bunch of stuff I got when I had the sherline - 1-2-3 blocks which makes setting Z 0 a little easier when you tool change; I had a nice keyless drill chuck on my bench drill that I got an adapter so I can use it on the x3 (bench drill goes away now); If you do your own CNC consider that you can 'tune' the servo dampening and gain by ear fairly well, but I also bought a handheld DVM/Scope so I can tune them visually.

You did not mention your experience level with CNC (or if u did I forgot), but in my case, a total newb, the CAD/CAM learning curve was big. Finding a working combo I liked took a while. I just heard of/found this cam program called CamBam and I like it. I don't have access to the big boy software and the price was in my budget.

Where in Tucky are you? I am in northEast TN.
Old 07-30-2009, 11:03 PM   #11
I joined the Band!

I appreciate the input

Still working on ordering everything but I have a fair amount of stuff on the way including the cncfusion deluxe kit with the ball screws.

My experience is zero but i'm not in a big hurry to start building stuff for NASA

I have Mach 3 but will have to look into cad/cam.

Plan to start putting some serious time into it next week.

Oh and i'm from Santucky it has the Tucky nickname not familiar with the real Tucky.
Old 07-31-2009, 11:52 PM   #12

Follow up; http://www.pbase.com/spiked3/machining

Added some new pics. Getting close to making a chip mess with it.

I am happy with the CNC fusion kit, although there isn't any directions with it. I was able to figure it out from the unfinished video, and past experience. If you do not have a C Spanner wrench you will need to get one. And it is very uncommon, northern tools, harbor freight, sears - all DO NOT carry them. I ended up ordering from Enco. I understand SnapOn may have them, but at excessive cost. Let me know if you need more info.

I was thinking Tucky was Kentucky, some parts of are not far from me.
Old 08-01-2009, 09:35 PM   #13
I joined the Band!

No directions..... thats a real bummer.

Hopefully I can figure it out. My mill will be here monday and the cncfusion kit sometime after that. From what i've read it will take a couple days to get the mill cleaned and lubed up - then the building will commence. I'm building a stand for the mill tomorrow.

What are you going to use for the flood cooling system?
Old 08-01-2009, 11:03 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiked3 View Post
Follow up; http://www.pbase.com/spiked3/machining

If you do not have a C Spanner wrench you will need to get one. And it is very uncommon, northern tools, harbor freight, sears - all DO NOT carry them. I ended up ordering from Enco. I understand SnapOn may have them, but at excessive cost. Let me know if you need more info.
http://littlemachineshop.com/product...=1416&category=
Old 08-03-2009, 05:14 PM   #15
I joined the Band!

Which rotary table are you guys using?

Which colltet, collet holders and bits should I get to have a reasonable supply to start with?

Which vise do you reccomend?

I got the Gecko 203v drives, motors and a whole bunch of stuff on the way. The mill was way the cheap part.

Crap is way complicated for a newb.
Old 08-03-2009, 06:05 PM   #16

I had tool bits from using the Sherline so i got holders to accommodate those. A couple of 3/8 end mill holders, 1/8, 3/16 collets.
I got a 5 inch vice. It is almost too big for the mill, and too small for the aluminum stock i have laying around.
I have never used a rotary, but when I do i'm sure it will be a CNC 4th axis, so no recommendations on that yet. I'm not sure how well these 'hobby level' cam programs deal with a 4th axis and I am really not into doing gcode by hand, so I dont know if it is worth the expense for me. I already have a mini lathe for simple round work (not cnc).

You are going with steppers instead of servos; and the deluxe ball screws instead of the standard - interesting we made opposite choices, although I couldn't really say why I chose what I did for sure.

I came down with a terrible cold, but otherwise I did some simple engraving cuts on mine this weekend. It is ready to tackle some real jobs as soon as I feel up to it.

Last edited by spiked3; 08-03-2009 at 06:12 PM.
Old 08-03-2009, 08:18 PM   #17

I have an old rotary table I bought at a swap meet years ago. It's old, beat up, but it works well. No idea on the make though.
I have a Lyndex R8 collet set, 1/16 to 1 inch. I never use anything more than the 1/2 inch on my little Super X3 though.
Vices; I've hot a 4 and 6 inch Kurt, but those are totally overkill. The 4 inch fits, but I usually use a little 4 inch Palmgren. Spend some money here, as you probably know, the better the fixturing, the better your part. A small clamp kit will go a long way as well.

I've heard nothing but good regarding the Geckos, I'll be curious to hear your thoughts once you receive everything. I'd go that route too if I was going to NC my SX3.

Expensive, yes. Complicated, yes. But oh so much fun...!
Old 08-04-2009, 06:41 AM   #18

Oh, BTW, one other warning I forgot to mention. I had read on another forum (CNCZone I think) where when you disengage the servos (or steppers) the weight of the head is enough that it will come crashing down and possibly do damage. So I was extra careful when I first started moving things around. If the Z faults (servos only) it disengages itself. Well anyhow my setup seemed tight enough that it was not a problem. So I started not paying as much attention to it. Well after goofing off with it for a while, apparently it loosened up enough and when I wasn't expecting it, I disengaged the servos and down the head came. Fortunately the head was high and slow enough I had enough time to grab the z gib lock and no harm done.

Just an FYI, if you are like me and used to manual mills it is just something you don't think of. I keep a 2X6 between the head and table at all times except when running the mill now.
Old 08-04-2009, 01:51 PM   #19

Good to know! Does your machine have the gas shock to assist in moving the head? I've seen a few that do, however, mine isn't one of them.
Old 08-05-2009, 05:53 AM   #20

No it does not have the shock. The nema 34 size servo does not seem to need it at all, although I guess it would lessen the problem if the Z disengages.