Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: trying to make a chassis

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2009, 04:27 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default trying to make a chassis

is there any tricks? should i use aluminum or something else? thanks for your help
theblackmonky is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-01-2009, 07:32 AM   #2
On the lookout for Rocks

What kind of chassis are you trying to build....Scale, TVP, Tuber?
constantmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 08:38 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

i've decided to try to build a chassis also.. 2.2 crawler. I have opted to go with delrin. I just ordered .125" delrin sheet, just waiting for it to come in. The reason i chose delrin is, I think it will be easier to work with vs. aluminum. Im going to be using mostly hand tools to build it. If all goes well i will be posting a thread about my build. Wish me luck.
adale4130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 01:09 AM   #4

i went with aluminum for my 2.2 it came out pretty clean. tho it was a bit of a pain cutting the aluminum even with a dremel. if you have a band saw itll make your build cake. id have to agree with the post above me and say derlin might be alot easier with strictly hand tools.
Dirtydids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 09:07 AM   #5
Ex Nor-CalRCRC slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by adale4130 View Post
i've decided to try to build a chassis also.. 2.2 crawler. I have opted to go with delrin. I just ordered .125" delrin sheet, just waiting for it to come in. The reason i chose delrin is, I think it will be easier to work with vs. aluminum. Im going to be using mostly hand tools to build it. If all goes well i will be posting a thread about my build. Wish me luck.
Be prepared to use a few stiffening braces if you will be building with 1/8" delrin. Depends on how you design the side plates of course. Also a good idea to keep any holes away from edges, as they might crack through. This chassis was made from 3/16" and it needed braces all over it to give it strength.

gunnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 09:50 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

you will definitely want cross bracing in a Delrin chassis unless you are making a torsion style where the side plate are part of the suspension...Axial makes posts and threaded pipe with M3 threads in different lengths so you could easily cut your skid plate to the same width as like their 60mm pipe then just add 3mm holes and bolt the chassis plates together...you will need a thicker material for the skid plate though unless you notch the side plates and sandwich the skid between the plates,,if you want to bolt the side plates to the skid you need a piece of .250" Delrin or other material for the skid then end mill the skid edges to accept the side plate bolts..

Aluminum will defintely take alot of abuse,,but is defintely harder to work with using hand tools,,I use 0.250" 6061 T6 for the skid plates and 0.1875" 6061 T6 for the side plates and 0.250" 6061 T6 Rod for cross bracing,,,,very rigid,,,very strong,,,open milling the sides still gives alot of strength but greatly reduces weight...I have plans to do at least one chassis with Delrin but it will probably be side plates and skid in Delrin and Aluminum bracing, all M3 hardware

Last edited by rmdesignworks; 09-05-2009 at 09:58 AM.
rmdesignworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 09:57 AM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
if you want to bolt the side plates to the skid you need a piece of .250" Delrin or other material for the skid then end mill the skid edges to accept the side plate bolts..
i'm planning on building a delrin chassis also. planning on doing my skid out of a cutting board approx 1/4'' thick, side plates in delrin, and a mix of aluminum and delrin cross bracing. what do you mean by end milling the skid edges for the side plate bolts?
jsowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 08:48 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Default .

I used 1/4" Delrin. Easier to work with.You won't have to worrier about chase twist ether. I made this one with a table saw and band saw. PS: Use caution when making the chase with these tools!!!Name:  Picture 041.jpg
Views: 572
Size:  83.2 KB

Name:  Picture 044.jpg
Views: 573
Size:  83.5 KB GOOD LUCK BUD!
SaxtonSlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 09:02 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Default end mill

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsowens View Post
i'm planning on building a delrin chassis also. planning on doing my skid out of a cutting board approx 1/4'' thick, side plates in delrin, and a mix of aluminum and delrin cross bracing. what do you mean by end milling the skid edges for the side plate bolts?
what i should have said was to drill and tap the edges of the skid, sorry i always think of end mills when doing edge pieces,,you will want to use a bottoming tap though so it runs threads all the way to the bottom of the holes you drill
Old 09-08-2009, 09:26 PM   #10
RCC Addict

rmdesignworks, thanks for explaining that. makes a whole lot more sense now.

SaxtonSlaughter, that's a really nice chassis you made. i'm using primarily hand tools for my chassis build...aside from a drill and maybe a dremel. i'll be cutting it out using a jeweler's saw. i recommend people considering making a chassis out of delrin and using hand tools to consider a jeweler's saw. mine cut through the skid material like it was nothing.
jsowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 03:54 PM   #11
No idea what I'm doing

Another option to drilling and tapping the skid, is to make the holes for the skid, the same as those for your lower links. That way the bolt holds the side plates, skid and lower link ends all together....eliminates a few steps, and some extra hardware:

C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 04:25 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

holy fricken craop dude that skid plate is wicked
badnuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 12:27 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

not to hijack your thread but,,,Juan is that your chassis? real nice set up!
Old 09-13-2009, 07:19 AM   #14
RCC Addict

I have been making Delrin parts for my crawlers for the past year or so...including custom Delrin sleeved links, custom inverted steering servo brackets, and battery trays. I was using a Dremel for all of this, but recently I purchased a 4" Diamond Bladed mini table saw and a Dremel Scroll Saw. With these, I felt empowered to attempt my first chassis. I have wanted to try a TVP Bodiless design, and for the past few weeks I have been sketching on graph paper...then dropping it into SolidEdge on the laptop. Well, yesterday I cut it. I think that for a first attempt it turned out well. Delrin definitely is easier to work than aluminum...it helps to build confidence and thus allows people to try things that otherwise would feel out of reach. PLUS, it is not expensive in case you goof up. Well, here are a few pics.
Attached Images

xirtic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 07:30 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Josh,,the chassis looks really good..fluid lines..looks strong,,what type of axles are you using? are using Delrin for the skid too?

did theblackmonkey forget his login,,,? are you still in this tbm?

Last edited by rmdesignworks; 09-13-2009 at 07:34 AM.
Old 09-13-2009, 07:57 AM   #16
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmdesignworks View Post
Josh,,the chassis looks really good..fluid lines..looks strong,,what type of axles are you using? are using Delrin for the skid too?

did theblackmonkey forget his login,,,? are you still in this tbm?
Yes...The bottom chassis dimensions match the skid skid/aluminum chassis that I am currently running on that truck...so it is just going to move from the current truck/chassis to this one. The rig that this chassis is going onto is a Bully. Been running it with a traditional TVP...but wanted to go bodiless.
xirtic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 11:52 AM   #17
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by C*H*U*D View Post
Another option to drilling and tapping the skid, is to make the holes for the skid, the same as those for your lower links. That way the bolt holds the side plates, skid and lower link ends all together....eliminates a few steps, and some extra hardware:

clean and simple chassis idea, points deducted for improper use of beer
rex cars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 02:50 PM   #18
No idea what I'm doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmdesignworks View Post
not to hijack your thread but,,,Juan is that your chassis? real nice set up!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rex cars View Post
clean and simple chassis idea, points deducted for improper use of beer
Yeah, that's actually Rev B from my "Frustration Chassis" thread, linked in my signature. It's a good example of just making "something/anything" to get started, and then test and incorporate your changes as you go.

I need to design a chassis holding device so that I can use my beer for more important things

C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote