Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: Looking to buy an air brush...opinions? suggestions?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2010, 12:42 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Looking to buy an air brush...opinions? suggestions?

well..looks like i'll be in this hobby for years to come..thought I'd look into buying one...

i don't have much money to spend on one neither...max would be about $75

for those of you that live in Canada...does Princess Auto have any good air brush kits? (Princes Auto is the Canadian equivalent of the American Harbor Freight)

i'd like something half decent to start out with...i'll be doing R/C bodies with it..as well as whatever else floats my way that I feel has to be painted...~looks to his radio~
Shadow Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-01-2010, 05:11 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Is this your first try at an airbrush?
If yes then try something cheap. Definetely not the 10$ plastic junk but an affordable dual action airbrush will do more than you can take advantage of in the beginning.
I am no artist but I use airbrushes for more than 15 years for statics mainly. I have Iwatas, Badgers and one from Testors if I recall right. Recently thought about trying this one:
http://hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store..._air_brush_set.
it was so good I got a second one to avoid changing needles.
MadForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 08:14 AM   #3
No idea what I'm doing

There are a lot of airbrush discussions in the paint and body section.

Also, Norm of Team3Six has a lot of great information on his website about brushes and how to care for them:

http://www.team3sixrc.com/rcairbrushcleaning.htm

C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 03:20 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadForce View Post
Is this your first try at an airbrush?
If yes then try something cheap. Definetely not the 10$ plastic junk but an affordable dual action airbrush will do more than you can take advantage of in the beginning.
I am no artist but I use airbrushes for more than 15 years for statics mainly. I have Iwatas, Badgers and one from Testors if I recall right. Recently thought about trying this one:
http://hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store..._air_brush_set.
it was so good I got a second one to avoid changing needles.
it'll be my first try at airbrushing and i looked at that hobby king air brush looks like a good brush

I don't plan on doing anything intricate either just basic stuff and getting into scale crawlers i'll be using it for more then painting bodies
Old 01-01-2010, 03:51 PM   #5
RCC Addict

i have an iwata eclipse hp-cs airbrush gun and i love it. i posted up my first airbrush job in the paint and body section if you want to see it. i just started to airbrush and it has been fun, glad i got into it. here it is if you want to look at it. My first airbrush job.
jwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 03:53 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

the hobby city one looks pretty good. the only thing is dont ever use laquer thinner or a solvent based paint. you will ruin the orings in the body.

that being said you can use it for water based stuff just fine!

iwata sells the revolution for around 75 bucks and its a great brush! i've used them a couple times and they work just like a regular iwata just doenst come with all the extra special bits and peices its a very basic low end brush but will still get the job done

id recomend you spend the extra 50 bucks ontop of the 75 (if you have it to spare) and just get an eclipse hp-cs this is my work horse and has never let me down! no need to worry about solvents run what you want through it and parts are easy to find everywear!

and if you dont like airbrushing and dont want to paint any more then send me a pm and i'll buy the brush off ya! for nearly the amount you paid for it! this, i believe is the better option over a cheaper brush. you cant really re sell those cheap ones. but if you have an eclipse they will sell very easly on ebay, here or any other forum were people need this "tools" plus you'll have eliminated one problem when trying to figure out why you cant get a good spray pattern. the only thing left will be the paitn or compressor that you need to work with
extreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 12:34 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

that's another thing i would need..is a mini 120v aircomressor...I HAD one...great little thing..but my dad sold it on me in a yard sale we had...when i get the cash I'll jsut go to Canadian tire and pick one up..as well as a cordless mini screwdriver...
Old 01-02-2010, 08:46 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

I got a Paasch VL from here: http://www.coastairbrush.com/proddetail.asp?prod=VLSET Nice little airbrush that isn't too expensive.For a compressor I just went to Lowes and bought a 2 gallon one that was on sale for $79.Don't know if you have Lowes up there though.Since Princes Auto is like Harbor Freight then they might have a 2 gal compressor for cheap.Just make sure you get a water trap.
72Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 10:10 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

all depends on how nice you want it, mine is from harbor frieght lol
JeepersCreepers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 11:45 AM   #10
Rock Stacker

Stay away from princess auto airbrushes!! JUnk Junk Junk!!!

I have a Paasche VL and an Iwata Revolution....both excellent brush with a Paasche better for a newbie.
Riksss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 04:38 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksss View Post
Stay away from princess auto airbrushes!! JUnk Junk Junk!!!

I have a Paasche VL and an Iwata Revolution....both excellent brush with a Paasche better for a newbie.

LOL good to know...very rare that Princess auto has good stuff like that..
Old 01-05-2010, 08:38 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

I have both the Iwata Revolution and Eclipse airbrushes and both work well.

Other things to consider are parts availability and customer support. Iwata has proven themselves to me on both aspects.

Narly1
Narly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 08:25 AM   #13
RCC Addict

i ve owned both syphon fed and gravity fed air brushes, and i will highly recomend gravity fed brushes.

you can use a lower psi when working w/ them and feeding is never an issue

at the moment the main brush a use is an iwata revolution cr. an awsome airbrush for the money
been allso thinking about getting a larger paint gun for covering larger areas in one pass

Last edited by NeXt559; 01-06-2010 at 08:27 AM.
NeXt559 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 09:57 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Some good videos to check out

I got my Airbrush from Amazon for 30ish as referenced in the first video..

http://www.youtube.com/user/Airbrush...32/matMbHby5sg

http://www.youtube.com/user/AirbrushTricks
y2kgtp is offline   Reply With Quote