Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: Cow RC Pit/Work Mats for Micro to Large Scale RCs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2010, 09:27 AM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Cow RC Pit/Work Mats for Micro to Large Scale RCs

Hello Peeps. Hope your all in a frisky large scale mood today.
A few weeks ago. Heath from Cow RC ( http://www.cowrc.com/ ) was looking for a couple people to do a review of some of his Products for us Large Scale guys, from the LSF forum. I made a quick note, i would be willing to do one, and a few of the LSF members gave me props for my past Reviews and Writeups (thanx guys). So Heath sent me a PM and asked if I would be willing to give his products a good workout, and post up my honest thoughts on them. I was happy to obliege. He choose one other member from LSF, though im not sure who.
Heath packed up a few things and sent them out. They arrived with in a few days for the mat, and with in a week for the aerosols. Mostly due to shipping constrants on that type of product.
So over the Memorial Day (Thank you to our boys and girls in Service) weekend, I go them out and went to work on Wingnuts motor, which needed a freshen up and new ring.
I started by opening up the new Large Scale Mat. Cow has a few Mats of variuos sizes for RC of all sizes. So I opened the box up, and let me tell you this mat is BIG!!!

Here is a link to these mats on the cow.
http://www.cowrc.com/cow_rc_new_site_028.htm
Cows mat with some size comparisons, as you can see, this Mat is Damn big.
A shot of my Nephews slash ( I gave him my slash for good grades, and not fighting for the rest of the year. lol He got a bit mad at a class mate early in the year, and punched him pretty hard, heh. Need to try to get that temper of his under control, so i bribed him with my Slash, and no fights for the rest of the year. He Did GREAT. thankfully. lol)

now for a Baja

As you can see, its not a small mat by any means. Its also not just a piece of foam or such.
the Mat itself is Magnetic!!!! This is a great option when your working on the stuff. drop a screw, even a tiny carb screw, it hits the mat and just sticks. This is very nice. It has a sort of neoprene border, which has removable pad areas, that create a screw/parts catch tray at the bottom, the top is covered in a quite resilient, and stain resistant, non absorbant film. you can pretty much pour most any liquid we use on it, and it just wipes right up. Here are a few more pics of the removable trays and some of the other features.

All in all, this is a handy mat to have and use. I'm not sure on the retail, but im sure Heath will have that information available shortly. It was pretty windy here Memorial Day. I was also using my air compressor to blow off debris as it fell of the baja when i was working on it. Dirt went flying, but tools and screws (those that are not aluminum anyways) just stayed where they were. The magnet isnt super strong, but strong enough to hold stuff in place, even with 100 psi of air.
I'm kind of tickled about it. One of my work benches is my Grandmothers 100 plus year old antique table. It was in kind of rough shape when I first got it, but I used a piece of cardboard to help protect it, which was a bit of a fleeding option. But now, with the CowRC Work Mat, I dont have to worrry about messing it up anymore until I can restore it. This table was my Great Grandmothers, so it has ALOT of family history and setimental value, and now I'm confident it wont get any worse, before I can make it near new again.
Here are some of the pics while I was getting the motor out of Matts (Wingnuts) baja so I could Re Ring it.

This pic is how it cleaned up after some of the mess left in the above pics

As you can see, it's basically clean and looks like it did when i took it out of the shipping box.

I was also able to use a coupel of the Aerosols. I ll be doing a seperate write up/review of them shortly.
All in all, this is a great item. Plenty of room for parts, and tools, bolts ect to be on it. The Trays have removeable tray spots. so you can open as many as you need. there are a few large ones, and and small amount of smaller trays for screws, parts ect...

The mat will be going with me to most all my events, as it helps to keep the work bench clean, stops the loss of bolts rolling away because it's magnetic, and has the tray spots in it. Easy to use, maintain, and actually quite helpfull. I didnt once have to chase a screw, even the carb throtle screw which is easily lost cuz its so damn small.
IMPO, if your looking for a way to protect your bench/table, work space, stop the loss of small screws/ tools, and like the idea of easy clean up, then you should take a good look at buying one of Cow RCs Pit/Work Mats. These are a pretty nice assessory to have.
As Always, ask any questions you have, and I'll do my best to give you the Honest and Straight, no Nonsence answers and information you've come to expect.
I would like to say a BIG THANK YOU to Heath and Cow RC for allowing me the oppertunity to check this mat out. I may of never gave it a 2nd thought prior, but after using it, i dont see myself NOT using it. This unit will be under my baja alot from now on.
Tim
Timmahh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-05-2010, 10:56 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Viva la Grande Cow mat!!!
Jeepial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 02:28 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Great review Tim i have three cow rc mats
kasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 12:57 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

You may have just sold me on one of these.
MrNate is offline   Reply With Quote