RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Tools, and Procedures (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/tools-procedures/)
-   -   Brazing torch suggestions (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/tools-procedures/523524-brazing-torch-suggestions.html)

OTHGbronco82 01-24-2015 06:35 PM

Brazing torch suggestions

Like the title says I'm looking for a brazing torch so I can get started in brazing. I found this one: Bernzomatic OX2550KC Oxy/Map-Pro Torch Kit-331673 - The Home Depot but have read that it might not be the best. I'm not looking to spend a ton of money on a set up but also don't want a really cheap set up. I'll mostly be doing brake line for right now. Oh, also, any links to filler rod?

Edit: After some more reading I found this too: http://www.magtorch.com/mt565-c.html

KillerBlackbird 01-24-2015 09:03 PM

Re: Brazing torch suggestions

If you're just going to use Safety Silv 45 on the brake line and don't want to spend a ton of money, Lowes/Home Depot or your local hardware store sells a MAPP gas torch and push button torch head for under $75. I've found small Safety Silv 45 kits with flux on Amazon that are a lot less than other places too. It's worked for me for everything I've done so far.

I know Lowes sells brazing rods in the tool section by the welders, MAPP gas will melt the rod but it takes heat and the Safety Silv makes a beautiful joint if you take the time to fit and clean everything properly.

OTHGbronco82 01-24-2015 09:46 PM

That's what I was thinking. Start out with something cheap-ish and easy to use until I get the hang of it and then move up to a decent oxy/acetylene set up.

BigSki 01-24-2015 09:52 PM

Forget those kits, the red oxy tank will go empty in 10 minutes at best.

OTHGbronco82 01-24-2015 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigSki (Post 5124732)
Forget those kits, the red oxy tank will go empty in 10 minutes at best.

Ok. So what would you suggest? I'm a total newb when it comes to brazing.

BigSki 01-24-2015 10:01 PM

You have the dilemma of needed cheap and good. A jewlers torch setup is ideal, but expensive. If you could find a 'turbo torch' with a fine enough tip, they run off of a standard BBQ grill propane tank. Otherwise, an small oxy/acetylene torch is a good tool. Too many people claim to use a MAPP cylinder and 15% safety-sil but I personally found those joints entirely too weak.

OTHGbronco82 01-24-2015 10:05 PM

Would I be able to run the oxy/mapp kit from home depot on acetylene instead of mapp? I'll google a jewelers torch and see what comes up. Also, by cheap I meant under $100 and something that will work. Not necessarily super good, but good enough to get the job done.

OTHGbronco82 01-24-2015 10:10 PM

Holy f**k, jewelers torch kits are expensive.:shock: Might just have to make a cheap set up work for right now.

BigSki 01-24-2015 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OTHGbronco82 (Post 5124740)
Would I be able to run the oxy/mapp kit from home depot on acetylene instead of mapp? I'll google a jewelers torch and see what comes up. Also, by cheap I meant under $100 and something that will work. Not necessarily super good, but good enough to get the job done.

Negative on using anything except the cheesy disposable tanks that come with the kit. a "real" oxy tank is pressurized to around 2500 psi, the tank from HD is about 20 psi, that's why it doesn't use a regulator. Look around for used HVAC torch setups, that's where the deals are.

OTHGbronco82 01-24-2015 10:22 PM

Well, at least now I have something to look for. Thanks."thumbsup"

Phins Fan 01-25-2015 05:10 AM

The Bernzomatic setup from Home Cheapo is what I have been using for a couple years now. Personally I like the setup. I would say the stock oxygen tank is a waste and will burn out rather quick but I just bought a larger tank and changed the fittings to work with the Bernzomatic torch. I like it and Im only $80ish into the setup including the larger oxygen tank.

stevem50 01-25-2015 05:45 AM

whats the problem with using a mapp torch with brass brazing rods? ive been doing it this way for years, its cheap and it makes a stronger joint than the metal im working with..

jmz6 01-25-2015 07:01 AM

I used a Bernzomatic TS4000 with Mapp for years, it worked just fine. Although I have primarily switched to a Turbo Torch setup with an A-2 tip and acetylene B tank, which is a great middle of the road setup. It has better heat control and with the 1/4" A-2 tip flame goes where I want it to.

But for starting out I would suggest the TS4000, well under $100 and it gets the job done. If you want to upgrade down the road, then you can.

hotwheels000 01-25-2015 09:25 AM

This http:// Oxygen and Acetylene Gas Welding Set

and some bottles and you are set for almost any need you may have with a torch.

bob1961 01-25-2015 09:29 AM

here is a thread I posted to with my set up "thumbsup" ....

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/tools...tle-torch.html

Mike Flea 01-25-2015 02:23 PM

Those are some pretty nice setups, but I use a disposable MAPP cylinder ( 9.95), a torch head like what you posted up top (TS4000T 34.97), and safety silv flux with a tube of rods(under $40 at a welding supply).

OTHGbronco82 01-25-2015 04:01 PM

I'll probably end up with a decent set up, but for now It's going to be out in the garage mostly and it gets hotter in there than it does outside so I'll start cheap and safe as there are small propane bottles out there and they've stood the heat just fine. If it's 100* outside it'll be about 120 in the garage. I don't want a huge boom and come out to no garage left.

bob1961 01-25-2015 06:04 PM

mine is in a metal 8x10 shed, your more then welcome to come step inside on a 100 degree day and let me know who's place gets hotter in it "thumbsup" ....

OTHGbronco82 01-25-2015 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob1961 (Post 5125436)
mine is in a metal 8x10 shed, your more then welcome to come step inside on a 100 degree day and let me know who's place gets hotter in it "thumbsup" ....

Yeah, but it's your house. It's not my house to blow up. Plus, a decent sized metal tank would take up so useful space in the already small work room.

bob1961 01-25-2015 08:15 PM

yeah the mobile home I rent ;-) ....