RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Tools, and Procedures (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/tools-procedures/)
-   -   What hex drivers you using? (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/tools-procedures/594708-what-hex-drivers-you-using.html)

throttlejock27 01-26-2018 11:28 AM

What hex drivers you using?

I’m looking for some decent metric hex Drivers 1.5, 2 and 2.5mm basically. I have a cheap duratrax tool set that I’ve already worn the tips out of them. Any suggestions? Thanks

Tovanni 01-26-2018 11:34 AM

Re: What hex drivers you using?

Quote:

Originally Posted by throttlejock27 (Post 5793280)
I’m looking for some decent metric hex Drivers 1.5, 2 and 2.5mm basically. I have a cheap duratrax tool set that I’ve already worn the tips out of them. Any suggestions? Thanks

This is also very interesting for me; I'm also looking for a decent beginners-set...

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-J730F met Tapatalk

JatoTheRipper 01-26-2018 11:37 AM

I did the same with the black and red, plastic-handled Duratrax drivers.

MIP is what I use and I have some from LockedUp RC. Losi and Associated also make good drivers.

throttlejock27 01-26-2018 11:41 AM

Has anyone used the wiha brand tools with precision handles? I know they make other nice tools and are made in Germany

JatoTheRipper 01-26-2018 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by throttlejock27 (Post 5793290)
Has anyone used the wiha brand tools with precision handles? I know they make other nice tools and are made in Germany

You want hobby grade tools. I know it sounds silly, but listen to us. Wiha makes nice tools, but they are a looser fit and can still strip screws.

throttlejock27 01-26-2018 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper (Post 5793300)
You want hobby grade tools. I know it sounds silly, but listen to us. Wiha makes nice tools, but they are a looser fit and can still strip screws.

Yea I hear ya. I had a nice set years ago but sold them when I got out of crawlers and now I can’t remember what brand they were. Ha

Odd-M 01-26-2018 12:28 PM

MIP ftw. Worn out a couple of 1.5's from other brands but the MIP driver is still as new.

EZCompany 01-26-2018 12:53 PM

I've got a set of the team losi hex drivers with replaceable tips that I've had for around ten years. Never had one bad go yet. Although i don't replace the tips when they're worn. I take them to work and cut off about .050" with an endmill in the Bridgeport mill to get back where the hex isn't worn. Don't use a grinder to do it however, the heat softens the steel and your guaranteed a strip out then.

Johan_Eriksson 01-26-2018 01:07 PM

What hex drivers you using?

I love my mips cause of the handle. I had mine for over a year and built 5 trucks and used them alot and no wear at all.

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

throttlejock27 01-26-2018 01:39 PM

I ordered a set of these from eds. If I like them I'm gonna order another set of the ball end drivers also. With tax and shipping it came to $40

RC ALLEN WRENCH METRIC SET - 4 PCS

throttlejock27 01-26-2018 01:52 PM

I prefer the aluminum knurled handle and I like the longer ones so I went with them instead of mip

Digital 01-26-2018 01:54 PM

MIP all day!

smog 01-26-2018 01:55 PM

Dynamite

k7zpj 01-26-2018 02:27 PM

Hudy - They cost a little more but have really good fit and last a long time.
You can purchase them from amain hobby.

Andersen72 01-26-2018 03:34 PM

I use wiha tools and no regrets https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...2f29bcbf41.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...de005516f0.jpg
But MIP or Huddy are very good

throttlejock27 01-26-2018 03:40 PM

That looks like a nice set with the telescoping shafts

RattleKan 01-26-2018 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andersen72 (Post 5793408)

Dynamite has a set just like this now. I also have been using an additional dynamite set that holds all the drivers in the handle for the last 7yrs. No issues yet with either set.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

throttlejock27 01-26-2018 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RattleKan (Post 5793417)
Dynamite has a set just like this now. I also have been using an additional dynamite set that holds all the drivers in the handle for the last 7yrs. No issues yet with either set.

I have a set just like that but it's the duratrax brand and it's junk. I've rounded off 2 of the tips

Bbknucks 01-26-2018 06:35 PM

I have 2 sets of snap-on drivers. Expensive yes but lifetime warranty and the guy comes to my shop every week so I can swap em out if they get worn.

I have wiha precision Philips and they are the best I've ever owned.

throttlejock27 01-26-2018 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bbknucks (Post 5793469)
I have 2 sets of snap-on drivers. Expensive yes but lifetime warranty and the guy comes to my shop every week so I can swap em out if they get worn.

I have wiha precision Philips and they are the best I've ever owned.

I was looking at the wiha precision drivers. I have a couple L shape hex sets from them and they are awesome and don't show any wear from daily use at work

Bbknucks 01-26-2018 07:36 PM

You wouldn't be dissapointed

high plains drifter 01-26-2018 07:59 PM

I've had a bunch over the years. Consider things that you may or may not like... things like shaft length, magnetic or non-magnetic tip, handle diameter and shape ( round handles can be irritating as they easily roll off of tables), ball-end tip or box tip, replaceable or fixed shaft, and hex material. Quality durable drivers are worth the money imo even though they're going to generally cost more.

My older Hudy, MIP, and Dynamite hex drivers have been my favorites. Least favorites have been my ( also older) Great Plains, Hobbico, and Duratrax brands for one reason or another.

Megalodon 01-26-2018 08:27 PM

I use the team associated driver set. Worked fine for over a year now. How ever my 1.5 has twisted from applying to much pressure. Still works tho.

EZCompany 01-26-2018 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Megalodon (Post 5793508)
I use the team associated driver set. Worked fine for over a year now. How ever my 1.5 has twisted from applying to much pressure. Still works tho.

My buddy likes to call that "ham fisting".

Teng 01-26-2018 09:14 PM

I found Wiha not reliable. Now changed to MIP and hopefully they last longer than Wiha.

adamargue 01-27-2018 09:02 AM

I have a set of integy’s that I have had for 8 years and have had no issues with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smog 01-27-2018 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RattleKan (Post 5793417)

Quote:

Originally Posted by high plains drifter (Post 5793493)
I've had a bunch over the years. Consider things that you may or may not like... things like shaft length, magnetic or non-magnetic tip, handle diameter and shape ( round handles can be irritating as they easily roll off of tables), ball-end tip or box tip, replaceable or fixed shaft, and hex material. Quality durable drivers are worth the money imo even though they're going to generally cost more.

My older Hudy, MIP, and Dynamite hex drivers have been my favorites. Least favorites have been my ( also older) Great Plains, Hobbico, and Duratrax brands for one reason or another.

"thumbsup"

Great value in the Dynamite drivers. Quality and Price.

tunaot 01-27-2018 05:07 PM

Quote:

I've got 2 sets now of like 40 or 60 bits just because those same sizes mainly the 2mm get worn out. I've tried searching for some titanium ones but can't find anything.....

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

jeremycook99 01-27-2018 05:58 PM

Quote:

Seen a guy on facebook post this set hope it helps https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...d1b094a910.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

throttlejock27 01-27-2018 06:38 PM

I ordered a set for eds yesterday and ordered a wiha precision handle ball hex set today from amazon. Hopefully I’m good for a long time now lol. Thanks for all the help "thumbsup"

Stewdog 01-27-2018 09:04 PM

Congrats on the new tools!

I got the MIP's and bought the Hitachi electric screwdriver and it was the best investment for RC tools I have made yet. It saves so much time and torment on the hand/forearm. The screwdriver has 21 clutch settings, which makes it easy not to strip stuff.

https://www.amazon.com/Hitachi-DB3DL.../dp/B004Y74AU6

SurfinStud 01-28-2018 10:24 AM

I had the same question when I first started RCing. I found MIPS to be reasonably priced and had great reviews.

They are very well fitted to the hex bolts. Snug, secure fit; super durable. In a year of light wrenching I dont see any signs of wear on my MIPS set. Things will last me ages.

Also, the inferior brands; as stated before, wear out their shape and strip the bolt heads. Worth spending extra now to avoid that, imo.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

MasteroFlego 01-28-2018 01:21 PM

I use the MIP speedtips, so far 0 wear, and 0 stripped screws.

with my dewalt screwdriver (best christmas present ever)

skellyo 01-29-2018 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MasteroFlego (Post 5794050)
I use the MIP speedtips, so far 0 wear, and 0 stripped screws.

with my dewalt screwdriver (best christmas present ever)

I use MIP speedtips with a Bosch screwdriver for the most part. For manual hex drivers, I use Wera (most comfortable handles on drivers I've ever had). I've had associated in the past (still do actually) and the aluminum handles are ridiculously uncomfortable when having to use more than minimal force to loosen something.

MasteroFlego 01-29-2018 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skellyo (Post 5794375)
I use MIP speedtips with a Bosch screwdriver for the most part. For manual hex drivers, I use Wera (most comfortable handles on drivers I've ever had). I've had associated in the past (still do actually) and the aluminum handles are ridiculously uncomfortable when having to use more than minimal force to loosen something.

For manual stuff I have a screwdriver handle. It also holds six long bits in it, which is convenient for when I go trailing, as I only need to bring two tools.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Jim85IROC 01-29-2018 10:35 AM

Dynamite makes a couple sets, so for those who are recommending the Dynamites, it would be most helpful if you mentioned which set.

I use the premium Dynamite machined set and I love them:
https://www.amainhobbies.com/dynamit...dyn3080/p79789

The reason I went with this set was because the handles are hollow, which makes them very light weight. As silly as that sounds, it makes them a lot less fatiguing when you're working with them for a while. My SAE set is a cheap Hobby King set with solid aluminum handles. The tips are surprisingly hard and have proven very durable, but the weight of the handles makes my hands cramp if I'm doing a lot of continuous work with them.

Secondly, the machined Dynamite set has a plastic swivel at the end of the handle that is incredibly useful if you rest the end of the handle in your palm while you use your fingers to turn. This is how I use them so that I can always ensure that the tip is well engaged into the screw, and having that spinny plastic piece riding in my palm makes them that much easier to turn.

I've had the Dynamite set for a few years now, and they still work as well as new. I use the hell out of the 2mm, and I use the 1.5mm pretty often too. They both still fit snugly enough into the tip of a screw that they'll hold the screw while I search for the hole to put it into.

pullstarter 02-14-2018 05:42 PM

My older ones are all Hudy which I can't fault, super accurate, strong tips and last ages. Some of my newer ones are Arrowmax which seem very good also, no issues as yet. I did try Snap-on early on and found them to be not as accurate as Hudy, they would strip out 1.5 and 2.0mm screw heads regularly.

calcagno45 02-14-2018 05:55 PM

VP, I have broken one 1.5mm tip so far.

svt923 02-15-2018 06:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim85IROC (Post 5794442)
Dynamite makes a couple sets, so for those who are recommending the Dynamites, it would be most helpful if you mentioned which set.

I bought this Dynamite set back in 2004 or 2005 and they barely look used after all these years (although I use my MIP wrenches for most stuff now).

https://www.amainhobbies.com/dynamit...dyn2904/p38303

The knurled handles get a little uncomfortable after long wrenching sessions but the fit is pretty precise and it is hard to find a better set of drivers for $20.

JatoTheRipper 02-15-2018 06:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by calcagno45 (Post 5801117)
VP, I have broken one 1.5mm tip so far.

WTF? Those tools are less than a year old. Did they replace it?