RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Tools, and Procedures (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/tools-procedures/)
-   -   Brazing Video (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/tools-procedures/79704-brazing-video.html)

Double J 07-30-2007 03:57 PM

Brazing Video

Yeah I know the camera doesn't show detail that much but hey, better than nut-n. :roll:

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e2...h_d575061d.jpg

mrpink 07-30-2007 07:09 PM

that just confused me more. j/k.

I was thinking of doing something like this, but couldn't find a good way to show it. Maybe I will give it a shot. Having these will help weed out alot of repetitive questions.

A sticky would be great.

badhoopty 07-30-2007 08:20 PM

you shouldnt give all your secrets away dude. bad fo' buisness. ;)

the plate you braze on, is it aluminum?

could you lay pieces of brakeline or whatever flat on an aluminum plate and braze them w/o the crap stickin' to the aluminum sheet?

mrpink 07-30-2007 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badhoopty (Post 789145)
you shouldnt give all your secrets away dude. bad fo' buisness. ;)

could you lay pieces of brakeline or whatever flat on an aluminum plate and braze them w/o the crap stickin' to the aluminum sheet?

Aluminum would melt over time. I use a thick piece of scrap steel (flat stock) to braze little pieces together. When brazing, where ever the flux goes, so goes the braze... dont get any flux on the steel plate and you will not have any issues.

braceysdad 07-30-2007 08:48 PM

What torch are you using?

Thorsteenster 07-30-2007 08:55 PM

I was thinking of getting a piece of 1/8" steel for a base and using magnets to keep everything situated while brazing.
Good vid!
"thumbsup"
I dont know how they hold up to heat, but if you have a old or dead hard drive, take it apart, the magnets in those are STRONG!

Double J 07-31-2007 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by braceysdad (Post 789204)
What torch are you using?

This one...
EDIT: dammn that is huge... Let's see if this is smaller:lol: Yeah that's better.
http://images.lowes.com/product/conv...42190427md.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by badhoopty (Post 789145)
you shouldnt give all your secrets away dude. bad fo' buisness.

Thanks but there are plenty of people that can't or won't make their own and still hire out."thumbsup"

That is some "scrap" aluminum Diamond plate that I had laying around and works great. But it's starting to show it's age as you can see it's got a slight bend to it. Mostly cause of wrenching down on it. I don't put direct heat on it so it seldom gets real hot.

You can lay pieces of brakeline on a flat aluminum plate and braze to it. The silv will bead up on top of it, if it drips on it for whatever reason. Then you just sweep it away. I just try to stay directly off of it, but sometimes you have to.

I just noticed the background noise. LOL

Double J 07-31-2007 09:44 AM

PM question I was asked. Thought it would be of use here.

Quote:

dumb question but, does that torch not use oxygen too?
No oxy on it. I do have a set up that has the oxygen but only use it for heavier metal that requires more heat to make it braze. I used the oxy/mapp set up on my Gooseneck cause I'd site there for a long time waiting for the two pieces of 1/2" square tubing to heat up for brazing. The oxy/mapp setup reduced the heating time to just a 1/4 of what it would take for mapp alone.

I use just straight mapp for anything that is under 1/8" solid rod and brake line.

Plus it's cheaper than the oxy/mapp set up.

Hope that helps.

I'm going to copy and paste this in the thread if that allright w/ you. I can see this being asked."thumbsup"

PROTOTYPE 07-31-2007 07:51 PM

I know making a tube chassis is not easy , but that was a simple process . thanks for the info and the how to.

braceysdad 07-31-2007 07:53 PM

I picked up one of those torches today...

RickSDMF 07-31-2007 08:46 PM

smae one ive been using for awhile if yall dont wanna spend the money on a oxy/mapp set up, for thicker gauged stuff that mapp wont work with theres another type of gas called oxyprop. will work with same torch head as mapp gas just allllot hotter.

BOWTIE 07-31-2007 08:55 PM

great vid.. could you post a picture of the pieces. like you mentioned before it's not clear in the video but i still picture might help.

Double J 07-31-2007 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BOWTIE (Post 790804)
great vid.. could you post a picture of the pieces. like you mentioned before it's not clear in the video but i still picture might help.

I may have tossed it right after it cooled down. But I can look for it.

MTHead 07-31-2007 09:01 PM

Double J,
On a normal build would you have to braze the other side of the joint
or did it flow all the way around??

That was fast for what i expected..

Very, very informative!! Thanks"thumbsup"

Double J 08-01-2007 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTHead (Post 790820)
Double J,
On a normal build would you have to braze the other side of the joint
or did it flow all the way around??

That was fast for what i expected..

Very, very informative!! Thanks"thumbsup"

I'd say 90% of the time you don't have to heat both sides so it "Normally" flows all the way around and into the brake line. But as with everything in life there are exceptions.

Oh I found the piece I used in the vid, just didn't snap a pic as I was doing other things. I'll try tonight or later this week."thumbsup"

cabsover78 08-01-2007 02:10 PM

thanks alot. very imformative. helped me build my cage.

coolkidjf7 08-01-2007 09:41 PM

warning very noob question!:)

is silv just regular solder? or somthing else. hope to build a full droop tuber somtime in the near future!

Double J 08-10-2007 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coolkidjf7 (Post 792288)
warning very noob question!:)

is silv just regular solder? or somthing else. hope to build a full droop tuber somtime in the near future!

Sorry haven't looke here for a bit.

silv is Silver Solder and the 45 or 55% that you'll see is the Silver content that it contains (amongst other things). It was made to adhear specific metals. I know it won't work on aluminum.

If you need more info I can get you a spec sheet with a list of all of it's contents.
jj

Oh I keep forgetting to take a pic of the piece I brazed togeather in the video for you guys.

aggressivellc 08-14-2007 09:14 PM

If you want the particulars on Safety-Silv go here
http://www.harrisproductsgroup.com/c...loys.asp?id=30

phishead1101 08-15-2007 07:23 AM

One thing I would add.... is have a bucket of water around to quench the steal after your finished brazing. Save the burnt fingers! And you could put out a small fire if something like that should happen.