Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: John Holmes is the man

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2019, 09:09 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default John Holmes is the man

So I have a Trx4 Sport. Just installed a sidewinder4 (castle bec) with a Holmes Revolver v2. I’ll never go brushed again. Awesome. My brother has a hobbywing axe. The Holmes paired with the sw4 Is a better setup for damn sure! And it’s a sensor less setup. Zero cogging...And the drag brake in this setup is flip over stop!

Last edited by pyroM!KE; 12-10-2019 at 09:32 PM.
pyroM!KE is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-2019, 05:26 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: John Holmes is the man

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyroM!KE View Post
So I have a Trx4 Sport. Just installed a sidewinder4 (castle bec) with a Holmes Revolver v2. I’ll never go brushed again. Awesome. My brother has a hobbywing axe. The Holmes paired with the sw4 Is a better setup for damn sure! And it’s a sensor less setup. Zero cogging...And the drag brake in this setup is flip over stop!
I agree 100% I like brushed waaaaay better. I didn’t turn back after trying brushless years ago. I still have old Novak sensored crawler motors. The newer stuff is incredible though. I got puller pros and daaaaamn that’s smooth. And power for days. I got a revolver too, but I’m haven’t tried it. Gonna put it in my comp truck to try and shed some weight.
hibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 04:53 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I’ll never go brushed again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hibbs View Post
I agree 100% I like brushed waaaaay better.
¯\_(Ο_Ο)_/¯

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Last edited by Voodoobrew; 12-11-2019 at 04:56 PM.
Voodoobrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 06:26 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

I hear great things about those revolver motors, but I'll never experience it because I am too easily annoyed to listen to that whine for hours at a time. I may as well stay at home with the kids.
GA Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 07:33 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

I find it funny that people complain about the noise on electric motors. Mostly because my other rc's are 1/5th scale gasoline 2 stroke bashers that sound like motocross bikes. lmao

Last edited by pyroM!KE; 12-11-2019 at 07:37 PM.
Old 12-11-2019, 08:11 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

I think how much noise these make depends on how you drive (and the ESC and its frequency). When just starting up and creeping super slow its quite loud, as you speed up it sounds more and more like a normal motor.

I wish I could just tune it out but I can only drive this motor for so long. Get 2 rigs running the revolver at the same time and then you really have something

If it makes you feel any better I also dont care for the sound of 2 strokes either.

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 12-11-2019 at 08:14 PM.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 09:02 PM   #7
Gold Star Baby!

I don’t think it’s any secret that I’m a big fan of the revolver. Just got done setting up a second in the trx10.2.

I tune out the sound pretty easily now but I may be used to it. Sort of remind me of a jet turbine idling. For the amount of torque and throttle control these have I’m not giving them up any time soon. Clip for reference below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoobrew View Post
¯\_(Ο_Ο)_/¯

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Lol that confused me as well
Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 07:34 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topher Builds View Post
I don’t think it’s any secret that I’m a big fan of the revolver. Just got done setting up a second in the trx10.2.

I tune out the sound pretty easily now but I may be used to it. Sort of remind me of a jet turbine idling. For the amount of torque and throttle control these have I’m not giving them up any time soon. Clip for reference below.

Lol that confused me as well
My point exactly. I could care less about the noise because the performance is so good. Nice rig btw.
Old 12-12-2019, 06:37 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Castle link came in today. Updated new software and adj settings.Set start power to Hi, punch control at 25%, timing at 0%. Set throttle curve @60% throttle to 30% power. Ultra smooth now!!! Not that it matters to me but with the software update and changed settings its actually a bit quieter..
Old 12-14-2019, 10:15 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:

If you think the SW4 / HH Revolver is a smooth combo, you need to try a SW4 / HH Crawlmaster Pro 550 12t combo. Don't dismiss brushed too quick.
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 12:10 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

I had a trailmaster sport 27t paired up with a tekin esc that was very smooth in it. I prefer brushless because of the better efficiency and lower maintenance. The revolver is just as smooth.
Old 12-16-2019, 04:06 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Wow until. I saw that video I'd never have believed it could be that loud, what causes this? I'll stay with my titan, last one took 18 months to fail.
crazee horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 04:22 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Maybe now, but he wasn't born that way...
Thorsteenster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 04:31 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazee horse View Post
Wow until. I saw that video I'd never have believed it could be that loud, what causes this? I'll stay with my titan, last one took 18 months to fail.
I forget the cause of the noise, but mine was obnoxiously loud. A friend with an old Revolver said mine was much louder. That coupled with the fact that I could never get it to stop cogging was reason enough for me to sold it.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 05:10 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Dawg View Post
I hear great things about those revolver motors, but I'll never experience it because I am too easily annoyed to listen to that whine for hours at a time. I may as well stay at home with the kids.
I felt the same way when I first installed it. I nearly pulled it out that same day. But, I did some tuning and set up with it on the Mamba-X and it’s just a phenomenal crawling set up. Honestly, I hardly even notice the noise / sound any more.
mewalsh100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 05:44 PM   #16
Pebble Pounder

I have the V2 revolver. Maybe setup and the fact its a V2 mine isnt annoying? IDK? Mine is just as smooth as the tekin-trailmaster sport. Zero cogging. I can literally constantly crawl under 2 feet in a minute very smoothly no stopping..

Last edited by pyroM!KE; 12-16-2019 at 05:48 PM.
Old 12-16-2019, 06:24 PM   #17
Gold Star Baby!

I’ve not had any cogging issues either and it is quite smooth. Definitely spent a little time tuning it on the mamba x with the throttle curve and whatnot but it’s not too unlike how I have my slate motor set up. Trying to find clips with a little more fine throttle control, here’s one... this is a V1, I have a V2 in the trx10.2 that’s in progress.

Old 12-16-2019, 06:27 PM   #18
Gold Star Baby!

Lots of torque and slow wheelspeed here

Old 12-16-2019, 08:09 PM   #19

I couldn't figure out the cogging either. I was as baffled as everybody else since so many people praise the Revolver's smoothness. Holmes tested the first motor, deemed it out of spec and sent me a replacement. It really wasn't any better even after trying their suggested ESC settings. The sound turned me off anyway so I gave up and sold it.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote