Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: 4ws

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2021, 04:47 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default 4ws

Any body here done a 4 wheel steer on their TRX4?
MOguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-21-2021, 04:54 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: 4ws

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOguy View Post
Any body here done a 4 wheel steer on their TRX4?
Yes sir so much fun im actually starting a thread tonight on anew TRX4 comp crawler 4ws so lets chat soon and ask any questions its pretty easy to do!!!

photo is all the parts in the build minus a couple here or there! bUZZZZ
Attached Images

Honeyman108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 05:08 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeyman108 View Post
Yes sir so much fun im actually starting a thread tonight on anew TRX4 comp crawler 4ws so lets chat soon and ask any questions its pretty easy to do!!!

photo is all the parts in the build minus a couple here or there! bUZZZZ
Sounds like you are going to be busy

Here is where I am at now with my TRX:

DX5 Rugged

Scattergun V2, Revolver, SW4, Savox 1212 servo, JEC SOA, Longer shocks in the rear, BowHouse skid. 2.2 Hyrax. I have done some dremeling on the fron hubs and played with the links and ends and having it turning pretty good, esp for a TRX. I just want to get it more competitive.

My thoughts are front trx4 axle housing and hubs, front shafts and my rear diffs. Plus links and electronics.

Last edited by MOguy; 04-21-2021 at 05:17 PM.
Old 04-21-2021, 06:19 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Nice Bug I Love VW's and have several and working on a crawler Bug body so very cool !! This build will be using a half cab body a NWSD TRX4 CLASS 1 V1 ALUMINUM CHASSIS / Fish Crawler custom Skid for trx4 sport and leg battery tray / Holmes Magnum stubby 540 / Reefs x2 Raw 500 servos / castle Bec / yeah racing axle housings / locked up RC diff lockers / hot racing axle parts / samix titanium links and hot racing steering bars / etc.... no diff servos or trans servo and really making it a comp capable rig!!! your rig will easily go not 4ws just a front axle a panhard and a little change up in the links and a flysky gt5 radio your set!!!!!
Old 04-21-2021, 06:32 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Nice Bug I Love VW's and have several and working on a crawler Bug body so very cool !! This build will be using a half cab body a NWSD TRX4 CLASS 1 V1 ALUMINUM CHASSIS / Fish Crawler custom Skid for trx4 sport and leg battery tray / Holmes Magnum stubby 540 / Reefs x2 Raw 500 servos / castle Bec / yeah racing axle housings / locked up RC diff lockers / hot racing axle parts / samix titanium links and hot racing steering bars / etc.... no diff servos or trans servo and really making it a comp capable rig!!! your rig will easily go not 4ws just a front axle a panhard and a little change up in the links and a flysky gt5 radio your set!!!!!
I use the diff servos allot, rear for maneuvering, sometimes unlocking both to turn. Unlocking the front helps allot with sidehill.

I have only used high a couple times for lots of wheel spin.
Old 04-21-2021, 06:34 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

I agree the pros and cons of crawling!!! BUZZZZ....
Old 04-22-2021, 05:49 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
I agree the pros and cons of crawling!!! BUZZZZ....
More widgets, more to break down and more maintenance. More complicated to drive. Allot depend on the terrain and course. Mine is setup for class 3. One group I comp with sets their courses up so without dig or 4ws it is very difficult to make it through some gates. Other places allow more room but even then with out increasing the maneuvering by unlocking diffs the TRX lack of turning ability puts you at a real disadvantage.

With 4ws the ability to lock and unlock your diffs I sure with not be as much of an issue. I am setup for only 5 channels so I will have to give up something, high gear or a selectable locker.

Last edited by MOguy; 04-22-2021 at 05:52 AM.
Old 04-22-2021, 09:26 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
More widgets, more to break down and more maintenance. More complicated to drive. Allot depend on the terrain and course. Mine is setup for class 3. One group I comp with sets their courses up so without dig or 4ws it is very difficult to make it through some gates. Other places allow more room but even then with out increasing the maneuvering by unlocking diffs the TRX lack of turning ability puts you at a real disadvantage.

With 4ws the ability to lock and unlock your diffs I sure with not be as much of an issue. I am setup for only 5 channels so I will have to give up something, high gear or a selectable locker.
I vote high-gear as u said, and seem, like the crawl-90 kinda guy? Lol 90% crawling, 5 percent showoff donuts, and 5 percent getting around to various obstacles (trailing)

Read-Up! Mod-On! Crawl EXCESSIVELY!
23drumerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 05:03 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23drumerboy View Post
I vote high-gear as u said, and seem, like the crawl-90 kinda guy? Lol 90% crawling, 5 percent showoff donuts, and 5 percent getting around to various obstacles (trailing)

About high gear:

I admit I like to do donuts with high gear but there have been a few slick climbs were the extra wheel spin made it happen.

I run a 1400 Revolver with a SW4. Nice and slow in low and more speed in high. It is not often I need it but nice to have it when I do. Although if I go with 4ws I will have to free up a channel.
Old 04-23-2021, 03:47 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
About high gear:

I admit I like to do donuts with high gear but there have been a few slick climbs were the extra wheel spin made it happen.

I run a 1400 Revolver with a SW4. Nice and slow in low and more speed in high. It is not often I need it but nice to have it when I do. Although if I go with 4ws I will have to free up a channel.
I can agree to having some extra wheel speed lol sometimes that's just the ticket!

I recently received my HH trail Master sport 550-27T motor....and i had just recently converted my Sporty to a two-speed setup! Makes the TRX4 seem like a dang trophy truck, now! Hahaha i feel like my cheapo-depot/chineseium (surpass) motor (even at 55T)was much-better suited to my CRAWLING style, albeit, never really shined while towing 2- 1/24th scale, an 18th scale, and a boat. Lol!

Cant beat that motor for like 13 or 20 bucks, though!! Besides how LOUD it screams right out the box! I finally had figured out to dial down throttle trim to roughly 87%, which didnt reduce top speed (noticeably), but definitely silenced the banshee under the hood.
I forget what your posts stated, I remember you have the sidewinder and the brushless motor, but what do you run for TX/RX? What I mean is I have since reading and due to laziness I'm not canceling this post to scroll up and find out, but what did you say You're running channel wise was it that you're using all six already or you're using four of five I don't remember? I asked because I highly recommend anybody on a budget to shoot for the fly sky FSGT5 and any compatible receiver depending on your channel number needs, so I run a mix of GR-3E's, and fs-bs6's

23drumerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 07:45 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23drumerboy View Post
I can agree to having some extra wheel speed lol sometimes that's just the ticket!

I recently received my HH trail Master sport 550-27T motor....and i had just recently converted my Sporty to a two-speed setup! Makes the TRX4 seem like a dang trophy truck, now! Hahaha i feel like my cheapo-depot/chineseium (surpass) motor (even at 55T)was much-better suited to my CRAWLING style, albeit, never really shined while towing 2- 1/24th scale, an 18th scale, and a boat. Lol!

Cant beat that motor for like 13 or 20 bucks, though!! Besides how LOUD it screams right out the box! I finally had figured out to dial down throttle trim to roughly 87%, which didnt reduce top speed (noticeably), but definitely silenced the banshee under the hood.
I forget what your posts stated, I remember you have the sidewinder and the brushless motor, but what do you run for TX/RX? What I mean is I have since reading and due to laziness I'm not canceling this post to scroll up and find out, but what did you say You're running channel wise was it that you're using all six already or you're using four of five I don't remember? I asked because I highly recommend anybody on a budget to shoot for the fly sky FSGT5 and any compatible receiver depending on your channel number needs, so I run a mix of GR-3E's, and fs-bs6's

I am running 5 channels on a DX5 Rugged, I use all 5 channels. My diffs are on separate channels so I can do them individually.

I have an HH 1400 Revoler and a SW4 ESC

4ws - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
4WS or no 4WS....that is the question Crawlster Axial Wraith 17 09-05-2012 08:51 PM
4ws what do I need? smuggl1n Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 20 08-26-2012 04:19 PM
What to use for 4WS dezrik Newbie General 9 09-15-2006 06:52 PM