RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Traxxas TRX-4 (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/traxxas-trx-4/)
-   -   Top Heavy TRX4 (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/traxxas-trx-4/618865-top-heavy-trx4.html)

RCMattXC 06-07-2020 12:26 PM

Top Heavy TRX4

I know it is a common problem with the Trx4 Land Rover, being top heavy. But is there a solution to stop it being so?

Would be much appreciated for advice, as sick of the ‘walk of shame’ to turn it the right way up!

high plains drifter 06-07-2020 01:17 PM

Re: Top Heavy TRX4

Lightening the weight on top- I removed my cargo rack altogether as well as the spare tire/ carrier out back. That helped.

Adding weight down low... as low as possible- low COG battery tray, steel or brass portal covers, c-hubs, etc..

Widen the track width- You might try a wider offset wheel hex. That can help ( a bit) to keep the vehicle a little more stable while side-hilling.

Tire foam- A softer foam may help depending on trail conditions, terrain, etc.

Springs- In conjunction with the "right" foams, a firmer or softer spring may help with weight distribution.

The one thing to keep in mind is that you don't want to add TOO much weight. There's a good balance somewhere with your rig... top to bottom/ front to back.

MOguy 06-08-2020 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RCMattXC (Post 6027638)
I know it is a common problem with the Trx4 Land Rover, being top heavy. But is there a solution to stop it being so?

Would be much appreciated for advice, as sick of the ‘walk of shame’ to turn it the right way up!

No right answer just trade offs.

If you don't want to be top heavy get a lexan body. If you want to keep the Defender get a dermal. Even then it will be top heavy.

Gramps 06-08-2020 04:11 PM

It's a trade off but I think I would start by getting some steel bead lock wheels to add some low weight that isn't sprung. The next thing I would try would be brass portal covers.

OnTheTrail 06-11-2020 01:04 PM

I've done brass portal covers front and rear, brass portal knuckles front, steel wheels, stiffer foams, better tires and the Bowhouse lower CG battery tray. Can't believe the difference it all made. All the brass stuff I got was was from Benedict Harry on Amazon. It all went together very well. Only had to use the Dremel drum on one part to open up the bearing area to make it a little easier to get it out down the road. Overall very happy and the cost was substantially lower than the brand name brass. Oh, I also went to a 9T motor pinion gear since I added the weight.

MOguy 06-11-2020 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheTrail (Post 6028553)
I've done brass portal covers front and rear, brass portal knuckles front, steel wheels, stiffer foams, better tires and the Bowhouse lower CG battery tray. Can't believe the difference it all made. All the brass stuff I got was was from Benedict Harry on Amazon. It all went together very well. Only had to use the Dremel drum on one part to open up the bearing area to make it a little easier to get it out down the road. Overall very happy and the cost was substantially lower than the brand name brass. Oh, I also went to a 9T motor pinion gear since I added the weight.

Tradeoffs:

That way above you keep the TRX4 body. I went the opposite route. I weigh less than 8lbs but I don't have the looks a Defender has.

OnTheTrail 06-11-2020 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MOguy (Post 6028565)
Tradeoffs:

That way above you keep the TRX4 body. I went the opposite route. I weigh less than 8lbs but I don't have the looks a Defender has.

Precisely.... Under eight pounds I am not. :mrgreen:

TITANIUM94010 06-11-2020 08:21 PM

Quote:

The defender body is really heavy. Removing the rear tire and roof racks/accessories will help, but it ruins the scale look IMO. Your best and probably easiest option other than changing the body is to add more weights down low, like metal wheels, portal weights, wheel weights, stuff like that.

Lowering the battery tray or switching to a lighter battery will help, but not a significant amount to weights.

Stiffer or dual-stage foams will also help during sidehilling, and stop the tire's sidewall from collapsing as easily, but that involves taking apart and reassembling the wheels, which is a pretty hard task if you have glued and not deadlock wheels.

The most effective option that I see is swapping out the body, but I know some people really like the defender body, and would like to keep it.

Jeff6x6 07-03-2020 07:25 PM

Changing the approach angle really helps. The bumpers are too wide and low. I flipped my bumper mounts up. Trimmed and shortened bumpers. Trimmed the body shorter. You can turn the body into a pickup also. My tires touch the rocks before my bumpers do now.

Inspector86 07-03-2020 09:22 PM

Quote:

Mount a Sport body on it or find an aftermarket body that you like.

Jeff6x6 07-07-2020 05:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Took a photo today. This will do everything I need it to do. Weighted all 4 wheels with car wheel weights. Added 4 more for each front. Made my own foam inserts from shipping foam for Bio Med equipment.

2019RedZR2Diesel 08-20-2020 09:46 AM

The best solution that I have seen is a combination approach depending on your needs.

THE best body mod I have seen is the one by " LifeWith BillSiff " on youTube. It's excellent. I watched quite a few vids on the brass weight mods & my conclusion is : they are great for going up stuff & climbing, but going down hill.....not so much. Many will flip forward & endo because of the weight, which is why I said depending on your needs.

size does matter 09-28-2020 08:10 PM

I added a bunch of weight up front and it flips forward!

Levi 09-30-2020 01:14 PM

Quote:

Even though the thread is a little old. What was the decision on the body problem?

NightOwlRC 09-30-2020 07:19 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Modifying the body and weight down low helped this truck a lot.

fyrstormer 10-02-2020 10:29 PM

Remove the spare tire from the back and the luggage rack from the top. Then buy some STRC brass portal-gearbox housings to make the axles heavier. Beadlock wheels with steel rings are also a good step. That's pretty much everything I did to my TRX-4 Defender to keep it from rolling over.

Also, remember the TRX-4 has unlockable diffs -- make sure to actually use them. Run the diffs unlocked unless you need them, and you'll minimize truck-rolling torque twist.

fyrstormer 10-02-2020 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TITANIUM94010 (Post 6028645)
The defender body is really heavy. Removing the rear tire and roof racks/accessories will help, but it ruins the scale look IMO.

Looks fine to me.

https://i.imgur.com/2ukBAtJ.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by TITANIUM94010 (Post 6028645)
Your best and probably easiest option other than changing the body is to add more weights down low, like metal wheels, portal weights, wheel weights, stuff like that.

But yes, I agree brass portal gearbox housings are an important investment for the TRX-4 Defender -- or any TRX-4 or TRX-6 for which you want to minimize rollovers.

ScaleLifeNewbie 10-02-2020 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fyrstormer (Post 6047020)
Looks fine to me.

https://i.imgur.com/2ukBAtJ.jpg

But yes, I agree brass portal gearbox housings are an important investment for the TRX-4 Defender -- or any TRX-4 or TRX-6 for which you want to minimize rollovers.

Yeah, that looks great! [emoji106]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

fyrstormer 10-02-2020 10:54 PM

Thanks. I wish I could take credit for it, but I used a 3D-printed rear "equipment rack" from Shapeways.

ScaleLifeNewbie 10-03-2020 01:05 AM

Top Heavy TRX4

Quote:

Originally Posted by fyrstormer (Post 6047023)
Thanks. I wish I could take credit for it, but I used a 3D-printed rear "equipment rack" from Shapeways.

Nice[emoji1690] I’ll have to take a look at that[emoji106]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk