RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Traxxas TRX-4 (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/traxxas-trx-4/)
-   -   Trx4 must have brass (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/traxxas-trx-4/620497-trx4-must-have-brass.html)

Bobcapo 08-19-2020 07:00 PM

Trx4 must have brass

I’ve been modifying my rig and I’m going to start adding weight. Which brass pieces give you the best bang for your buck?

23drumerboy 08-19-2020 07:08 PM

Re: Trx4 must have brass

Havent bought any brass except an Amazon front bumper mount (93g), i didnt end up using it cuz even after drilling holes in the frame bigger, when u flipped the brass mount, it wouldn't let you put screws through. [emoji2371]

I started with aluminum beadlock wheels, and they are already significantly heavier than stock, then i put roughly 3oz stick-on 1:1 wheel weights on the inside of wheels, wrapped em in electrical tape, and now each wheel has (as stated) approx. 3-3.25oz lead weight inside an ALREADY heavier wheel. HUGE improvement!

Aluminum front bumper helped a LOT, too!! Let me know what works for you when u decide to shell out that brass dough!

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Gramps 08-20-2020 08:53 AM

The only weight I've added to my TRX4 & TRX6 was brass portal covers. The TRX4 also has steel beadlock wheels

Bobcapo 08-20-2020 07:39 PM

I’m thinking about the brass portal covers and maybe the diff covers

HumboldtEF 08-20-2020 07:46 PM

Knuckles (or portal covers in this case) are usually the best bang for the buck on any crawler since you can add all the weight you should ever need with them though the TRX4 can be a fat pig so your mileage may vary.

Avoid adding brass in places that are sprung (sprung weight) like bumpers as they hinder performance a lot more that if its unsprung weight (weight on the axle or anywhere thats not held up by the springs)

I'll also add you can add too much weight, only add as much as you need to alter the F/R balance to your liking then stop lol

Inspector86 08-20-2020 07:55 PM

In general you want un-sprung weight. I have 5 TRX4s and all are running one form or another of portal weights. I really like the SSD portal weights. I have not been a fan of the brass diff covers because they look nice when new but look like crap in pretty short order as they get all scratched up. In general, any additional sprung weight on the chassis is counter productive but is also a personal choice depending on the individual.

MOguy 08-26-2020 01:09 PM

There is no one perfect answer.Depends on our rig, and what type of driving you do.

The weight of your vehicle plays into it. How the weigh is distributed. If you like higher speed trailing or lower speed crawling, what tires, what foams, How much over drive...

Merovean 09-01-2020 01:43 AM

I'm replacing front and rear axles on the Bronco with Aluminum for grins, and then adding the SSD-RC portal brass weights. They haven't been installed yet, but fitting them up, they are pretty excellent quality bits, tight fitment, excellent finish.

FWIW

ExoSphere64 09-01-2020 06:52 PM

I am working on my first build in decades. I have the TRX-4 Defender and it is super top heavy. It came stock with the pre-glued plastic wheels and that just made the balance worse. I ditched the wheel/tire combo for a set of aluminum bead locks and added brass bolt in wheel weights on each corner. I did add the brass diff covers but I am cool if they get beat up. (They were cheap). These couple of things added a significant amount of unsprung weight and allowed me to stiffen the suspension quite a bit. The truck will always be a little top heavy but just that little bit of brass made a huge difference in performance when side hilling. It still needs some tuning to counter steeper climbing issues to keep the front end down but that is a whole different can of fish!

JatoTheRipper 09-02-2020 07:45 AM

SSD portal weights and they are great.

Merovean 09-07-2020 04:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper (Post 6042648)
SSD portal weights and they are great.

Yeah they really are. Alongside some LockedupRC Steel Knuckles I've been really impressed with the quality.

Behind some alloy wheels the SSD Portal covers look great, not quite Brakes, but sorta scale.

ScaleLifeNewbie 09-07-2020 02:41 PM

Trx4 must have brass

I have a 97g brass front bumper weight off Amazon for like 10 bucks. I added about 45ghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...7d5f0082e0.jpg
of sticky weight on it. It’s not the prettiest, but it performs. only downfall is you can’t flip it upside down because the screws for some odd reason don’t go in. I also have a Metal front bumper off Amazon with 90g of weight stuffed in it also. I again, not the prettiest way of doing it, but it preforms a lot better.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...f9b001f9d2.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...994014deb1.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

vasdimpop 09-08-2020 12:08 AM

SSD portal weights front and rear for me, and its been great

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

MOguy 09-08-2020 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bobcapo (Post 6040775)
I’ve been modifying my rig and I’m going to start adding weight. Which brass pieces give you the best bang for your buck?

Not sure if you are still following this
Adding more and more weight is not the best way to make things handle better. Some weight is needed but there other ways you can improve things.

Lower your center of gravity, add width, overdrive,

CNCist 09-10-2020 01:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MOguy (Post 6043553)
Not sure if you are still following this
Adding more and more weight is not the best way to make things handle better. Some weight is needed but there other ways you can improve things.

Lower your center of gravity, add width, overdrive,

This true, but adding brass lowers the center of gravity more than anything else you can do to the truck. I got cheap Treal copy brass portal, c hub, and cheap Amazon heavy diff covers. Those little things made my trx4 crawl easier and made it more stable. I have desert lizard 100mm shocks set up for max droop with a little more height.

As far as width goes my heavy trx4 sport can crawl better than my capra. Ill add that the capra needs 2.2 scale tires to take advantage of the width. Capra is an annoying belly dragger.

MOguy 09-14-2020 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CNCist (Post 6043805)
This true, but adding brass lowers the center of gravity more than anything else you can do to the truck. I got cheap Treal copy brass portal, c hub, and cheap Amazon heavy diff covers. Those little things made my trx4 crawl easier and made it more stable. I have desert lizard 100mm shocks set up for max droop with a little more height.

As far as width goes my heavy trx4 sport can crawl better than my capra. Ill add that the capra needs 2.2 scale tires to take advantage of the width. Capra is an annoying belly dragger.

If you want the nice body and other addons you have to add a lot more the weight and if you are not comping then width isn't as much of an issue and width can really help. Overdrive works wonders. I am less than 8lbs, run about 4 oz of weight in each front tire and a brass dif cover. I run 24% OD.

AND

Capras are way overrated!!

size does matter 09-28-2020 08:03 PM

I put brass portal housing and knuckles. Need to do the rear portal boxes. It has helped. I need to move more weight around on the chassis!

Egsise 09-28-2020 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bobcapo (Post 6040775)

Remove weight from rear.
Remove the stock battery tray.
Adding weight is bad for performance.

ScaleLifeNewbie 09-29-2020 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Egsise (Post 6046364)
Remove weight from rear.
Remove the stock battery tray.
Adding weight is bad for performance.

Unless you put it in the right spots.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

fyrstormer 10-02-2020 10:51 PM

Brass portal gearbox housings are your best bet. Anywhere else -- anywhere else -- that you can put extra weight will be higher-up than the portal gearbox housings, and thus will not lower the center of gravity as much. Brass bumper weights, in particular, actually raise the center of gravity -- they're too high up. A brass bumper weight in the front only might help with achieving a forward weight bias, but don't bother trying to improve the weight bias until you've gotten the rollover problem solved.