Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: Holmes CrawlMaster series

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2021, 04:11 PM   #1

Default Holmes CrawlMaster series

Are either the expert or pro series worth it? I ask because I just got a TRX-4 defender and love it but I have not run a full pack through it yet before killing the Titan POS in it. Traxxas sent me a new one which took 2 days and im about to install it. They told me up to 15 days for it to come in so in the mean time I ordered a Holmes trailmaster 21T and figure based on threads here it'll last much longer, but I like the looks and design and features of the crawl master motors. The 20T motor options should be great. Anyone on here run one?
Tiredmechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-2021, 04:38 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Holmes CrawlMaster series

The Pro/Expert series are rebuildable motors, so you can replace the internals instead of buying a whole new motor. Plus more torque. So yes, I'd say it's worth it. Ive never had one though so maybe somebody with first hand experience can comment. If I remember correctly, the Expert has 20% more torque than the Sport lineup and the Expert has 50% more.

One thing to remember is the Crawlmaster is a 5-Slot rather than a 3-Slot. So a 13T 5-Slot is close to a 27T 3-Slot. So if you got a Crawlmaster 20T, then you'd have the speed/torque of around a 45T 3-Slot.
ScaleLifeNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 08:27 PM   #3
RCC Addict

The HH Crawlmaster series is well worth the investment. They all feature a 5 segment armature which results in a much smoother start up. The Sport is $20 and is a vast improvement over the stock Titan 21t for the same money but it is not rebuildable. The Expert, Pro and Magnum are premium motors which can be rebuilt and timed.

Last edited by Inspector86; 03-22-2021 at 08:34 PM.
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 09:47 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaleLifeNewbie View Post
The Pro/Expert series are rebuildable motors, so you can replace the internals instead of buying a whole new motor. Plus more torque. So yes, I'd say it's worth it. Ive never had one though so maybe somebody with first hand experience can comment. If I remember correctly, the Expert has 20% more torque than the Sport lineup and the Expert has 50% more.

One thing to remember is the Crawlmaster is a 5-Slot rather than a 3-Slot. So a 13T 5-Slot is close to a 27T 3-Slot. So if you got a Crawlmaster 20T, then you'd have the speed/torque of around a 45T 3-Slot.

Thank you for the reply. Ill keep that in mind if I order.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector86 View Post
The HH Crawlmaster series is well worth the investment. They all feature a 5 segment armature which results in a much smoother start up. The Sport is $20 and is a vast improvement over the stock Titan 21t for the same money but it is not rebuildable. The Expert, Pro and Magnum are premium motors which can be rebuilt and timed.

I ordered a trailmaster 21T for now to see how I like it. The crawlmaster premium lineup thought got my interest for the rebuild ability and full bearing support. I may get one in the near future around the time I make the next upgrade order.
Old 03-22-2021, 10:48 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I'm running a TorqueMaster Expert 550 21T in one of my rigs, and have absolutely zero complaints. It is a phenomenally smooth motor. Definitely worth the price-- which is good, as it's about all I can push myself to spend on a brushed motor. The Crawlmaster Expert wasn't on my radar, as it only comes in 540.
DrIsotope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 08:01 AM   #6
RCC Addict

As stated the trx4 likes the bigger 550 can but it can run a 540 size.
Also another thing to note, if you plan on getting this thing wet, stick to the sport motors. I had a torquemaster expert 35t in a Capra, dunked it in a pool of water I didn’t know was at the top of a rock face and it junked the motor. Holmes has a video explaining all this. They are definitely worth the money for how smooth they are just wanted to throw that out there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fricker08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 06:28 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fricker08 View Post
Also another thing to note, if you plan on getting this thing wet, stick to the sport motors. I had a torquemaster expert 35t in a Capra, dunked it in a pool of water I didn’t know was at the top of a rock face and it junked the motor. Holmes has a video explaining all this. They are definitely worth the money for how smooth they are just wanted to throw that out there

Big thing is not liking water. That shoots that option down for me real quick. While im not using my TRX as a sub it will be at least wheel depth at times for short crossings etc. Oh well.
Old 03-23-2021, 07:12 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrIsotope View Post
The Crawlmaster Expert wasn't on my radar, as it only comes in 540.

Correction, a 550 Crawlmaster is available https://holmeshobbies.com/motors/bru...o-550-10t.html

Thats one of my favorites, such a nice smooth sound
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 07:43 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiredmechanic View Post
Big thing is not liking water. That shoots that option down for me real quick. While im not using my TRX as a sub it will be at least wheel depth at times for short crossings etc. Oh well.

Yea sorry to break that to ya. I was pretty new when that happened and under the impression brushed motors were waterproof. When I dunked it, I thought anything else was going to get fried.. nope just the motor

Old 03-23-2021, 09:12 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
Correction, a 550 Crawlmaster is available https://holmeshobbies.com/motors/bru...o-550-10t.html

Thats one of my favorites, such a nice smooth sound
I didn't say there wasn't a Crawlmaster 550, I said there wasn't an Expert in 550.
Old 03-25-2021, 02:54 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Are the Crawlmaster Sport bullets a direct fit to the Traxxas ESC?
xagoras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 03:50 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by xagoras View Post
I've heard you can get away with mixing bullet connectors and the cheesy stock bullet like connectors though I've never tried it out.

I assume this would be for 4mm bullets.

Personally I'd pick up some bullet connectors and solder them onto the ESC for reliability sake.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 06:31 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by xagoras View Post

Holmes motors don’t come with wires, if you order from him directly you can pay to have some installed. I personally run a deans connection on my motor to esc. Makes motor swaps easy and it’s a better connection than those stock bullets

Old 03-25-2021, 08:18 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
I've heard you can get away with mixing bullet connectors and the cheesy stock bullet like connectors though I've never tried it out.

I assume this would be for 4mm bullets.

Personally I'd pick up some bullet connectors and solder them onto the ESC for reliability sake.

Most bullets are interchangeable. Since they are not standard to RC but used in a lot of other applications as well. But I plan to swap from bullets to something better as over time the female end will get loose.
Old 03-25-2021, 10:28 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

I've been soldering ESC leads directly to the motor since forever, and will continue to do so.
Old 03-31-2021, 07:33 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fricker08 View Post

Not to dig up my own post but I got around to watching some of Holmes videos and also digging through the site. Holmes has motor end covers for the rebuildables. It covers the brush channels and should keep them from getting debris in them and sticking brushes which should equate to being just as good in water as non buildable motors.
Old 04-01-2021, 10:46 AM   #17
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiredmechanic View Post
Not to dig up my own post but I got around to watching some of Holmes videos and also digging through the site. Holmes has motor end covers for the rebuildables. It covers the brush channels and should keep them from getting debris in them and sticking brushes which should equate to being just as good in water as non buildable motors.
And if you watch more of HH videos will see where he says nothing is truly waterproof.

The question is do you want to subject a $20 to potential ruin or a far more expensive motor to its early demise.

Last edited by MOguy; 04-01-2021 at 10:50 AM.
MOguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 12:43 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrIsotope View Post
I didn't say there wasn't a Crawlmaster 550, I said there wasn't an Expert in 550.
I asked about this at one point, JRH said that expert was a strange point, and that was the reason for the 550 only in Sport and Pro. I think he meant lack of sales of the expert so he hasn't worked on a 550 for the expert.
Kemora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 03:09 PM   #19
Rock Stacker

I run the CrawlMaster Sport 550 12T and it's been great so far.
Scale Build is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 07:39 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOguy View Post
And if you watch more of HH videos will see where he says nothing is truly waterproof.

The question is do you want to subject a $20 to potential ruin or a far more expensive motor to its early demise.

He did say that yes. But he also says with the cap with Dielectric sealing it makes it nearly fully waterproof. The big failure point of the rebuildables in water is the brush channels getting junk in them and binding the brushes so they stop making contact or wear the commutator in a weird way. Those rubber caps will keep crap out and you add in dielectric and water may get in but not dirt which is responsible for binding the brushes.

Either way ill risk it for the biscuit on my next motor purchase.

Holmes CrawlMaster series - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Holmes crawlmaster problem JDIRCC Electronics 35 01-11-2015 01:36 PM
Good crawling and OK speed: Holmes Crawlmaster 13t and Holmes BRXL chefclancy Axial Wraith 7 07-23-2013 10:48 AM