Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vanquish Products VS4-10 Origin

Notices

Thread: Thinking about VS4...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2021, 11:43 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Thinking about VS4...

Hello,

I'm an avid racer and got into crawlers during the pandy.

I have scx10.2 and 10.3 and have built them up quite a bit along with doing some friendly local comps.

I enjoy upgrading and tunning the crawlers and have been on the fence with the vanquish kit.

my concerns:

• Aftermarket support: what's nice about axial is the aftermarket support and variety of "stuff." Is the vs4 vanquish only parts?
  • Improvement: while... i like to break and upgrade or tune from stock ---> my driving style... i imagine vs4 comes out of the box 80% efficient. So it's might be nice to just have a box stock vehicle that performs?
  • 550 motor: i think a few people have extended the trans to fit the longer motor?
I'm thinking it'll be fun the build and have a Farrari vs my built not bought crawler for comparision (although.. i am sure my axial cost well above the VS4 at this point.

Any insight is appreciated!
food2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-13-2021, 05:28 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Thinking about VS4...

I have both the Ultra and the Pro, and for me, these kits have performed much better stock than other kits that I have (Enduro, 10.3 and Capra). I have had to throw some aftermarket parts on those kits, but for the VS4s all I have done is install the overdrive and my choice of electronics and tires. Like you said, my "all in" cost for my Pro and Ultra is probably the same or less that it was for some of my other rigs after I got done tweaking them.

Out of the box they just perform well and they are quite durable. Both rigs are now my go to every time I head out for some crawling.

Not sure about the 550 cans, but I have ran across a thread or two here that had some info on that. Lots of good treasure on this site for these rigs.
RCBrutus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 08:24 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCBrutus View Post
I have both the Ultra and the Pro, and for me, these kits have performed much better stock than other kits that I have (Enduro, 10.3 and Capra). I have had to throw some aftermarket parts on those kits, but for the VS4s all I have done is install the overdrive and my choice of electronics and tires. Like you said, my "all in" cost for my Pro and Ultra is probably the same or less that it was for some of my other rigs after I got done tweaking them.

Out of the box they just perform well and they are quite durable. Both rigs are now my go to every time I head out for some crawling.

Not sure about the 550 cans, but I have ran across a thread or two here that had some info on that. Lots of good treasure on this site for these rigs.

thanks for your insight that's very helpful.
Old 07-14-2021, 03:18 PM   #4
Gold Star Baby!

What are your expectations for the truck?

The VS410 is a real nice rig. Quality components, durable, and looks great. Generally good support as well. Fun and easy to build.

However, if you’re looking for pure performance I’d recommend looking at aftermarket chassis options and sticking some vp (or other) axles under that. You’ll get a stronger performer in the end. I’m partial to gspeed and the tgh/hh Sherpa. Had a good experience with a gamechanger 4 as well.

If you do go the vs410 route I’d recommend starting with shock keys from ierc, Ssd brass knuckles, a nice set of 1.9 beadlocks, proline tires with dual stage foams, and the optional overdrive for the VFD. Maybe look at swapping shocks to element Rc or something more consistent as well.

For your other questions, the vs410 is a mix of vanquish and incision parts, incision being their “budget” brand so it’s basically all vanquish. The vs410 was born from their existing parts line of upgrades for the scx10.2 so a few of the other brands 10.2 upgrades will also work with the vs410. Such as ring and pinion gears, hexes, and brass knuckles.
Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 03:57 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by food2000 View Post
[*]Aftermarket support: what's nice about axial is the aftermarket support and variety of "stuff." Is the vs4 vanquish only parts?
[*]Improvement: while... i like to break and upgrade or tune from stock ---> my driving style... i imagine vs4 comes out of the box 80% efficient. So it's might be nice to just have a box stock vehicle that performs?
[*]550 motor: i think a few people have extended the trans to fit the longer motor?

I'm thinking it'll be fun the build and have a Farrari vs my built not bought crawler for comparision (although.. i am sure my axial cost well above the VS4 at this point.

I’ve now owned scx10.2, scx10.3, enduro, Trx4, vs410 pro, and vs410 ultra, and I like them all for different reasons, and uses.

As far as your concerns,

Aftermarket support: VP is the after market support. Like TB said, they’ve been making high end upgrades for other vehicles for years, they know what they are doing.

Improvement: as the kit comes it is very solid, but they wanted to sell a complete kit and needed it to meet a reasonable price point. that being said, out of the box you will need a servo horn (20mm length, I find the vp horn to be a good choice), and IMO the vp brass shock bushings, (unless you decide not to use the included incision shocks).

Most people don’t use the stock tires, foams and wheels. Wheels are plastic 3 piece bead lock, perfectly functional, but not the best looking IMO. The tires I have found so far to also be useable, even with the stock foams. Personally, I’m going to replace them sooner than later, but more for looks than anything.

(Quick note on pro vs ultra-
Pro:
Machined transmission gears
Aluminum motor plate
Aluminum transmission standoffs
90mm shocks

Ultra:
Sintered metal trans gears
Molded plastic motor plate
Molded plastic standoffs
80mm shocks)

Depending on which model you choose, there are still upgrades available.

21% o/d trans gears, vfd dig, wheels, tires, foams, machined aluminum rod ends, lights, portal gears, shocks, aluminum shock mounts, etc

550 sized motor:
Not a deal breaker at all for me personally, a puller pro v2 standard sized motor, say 2200kv-3300kv, paired with a mamba x on 4s will give you plenty of speed and power to break stuff. That’s currently what I have in my pro.

I personally have a Hobbywing fusion in a vfd after removing the end cap, it’s okay, but not enough power or speed IMO. I’ve heard the Holmes Crawlmaster sport 550’s can be installed, but haven’t tried myself.

I would certainly go with a quality brushless 540 sized setup before attempting to lengthen the trans to fit a 550.

If you are completely budget minded, or only concerned with maximum performance, the vs410 may not be the best choice.

If you want a solid rig with quality components, that is a good performer out of the box, and while having room for upgrades, doesn’t require it, it’s a great kit.

If I could only have one rig, it would be a pro.
twade984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 04:10 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Thanks for all the information everyone. It's really helped my consideration however i decided to build 6x6 Axial. I still have my eye on this kit and maybe will be my next choice.

Thinking about VS4... - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Vs4-10.3 TK421 Vanquish Products VS4-10 Origin 28 08-18-2021 11:28 AM
Indys VS4-10 indybama Vanquish Products VS4-10 Origin 40 03-31-2020 04:50 PM
Im thinking thinking about whats next...lol buggynutt Kyosho Crawlers 6 03-08-2012 09:04 AM