Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vanquish Products VS4-10 Origin

Notices

Thread: Got myself a Phoenix!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2022, 10:50 AM   #61
RCC Addict

Default Re: Got myself a Phoenix!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lashlee View Post
Sorry if I missed it, what length Dravtechs did you get for the Phoenix?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALPINEX View Post
They installed easily, same eye to eye length and same stroke.

Good to know on the dravtechs, vp seems to make their shocks with a super short compressed length vs other brands shocks, can be hard finding an exact replacement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
twade984 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-2022, 11:37 AM   #62
Rock Stacker

The bodies on the 80mm dravs are turned way down, so they are really short. I was really happy with them yesterday, may have to go down to a 40wt oil though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
ALPINEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 10:43 PM   #63
Rock Stacker

Default Got myself a Phoenix!

Just wanted to give a little update/info. I’ve been running my truck pretty consistently and I love it.

I changed to hard rear springs and added 2 orings to the medium springs on the front. I also added the vanquish stainless brakes to the front, until some portal covers come out or the Faif ones come back to stock. The truck climbs and side hills even better now.

I developed the dreaded trans clicking. Pulled it, did the rubber glove mod on the shift levers, checked all the gears, and left the one cover screw slightly loose. I still have a little click, but not nearly as bad. Anyone have further input there?

I also added the Reef’s RC aluminum servo horns to my shift servos. I found that my plastic ones were bending and flexing, the dig servo horn was also hitting the battery tray. My shifts started to get inconsistent as a result. The reef’s horns work great after drilling them out and shortening the dig horn on the belt sander. Anyone looking at going this same route I highly recommend the aluminum horns, the plastic just didn’t seem to hold up.

In other news, Taylor enjoyed the Phoenix build so much I grabbed her a TRX4
along with the ‘69 blazer body. She got the truck done in 3 days, and the only thing I did was add oil to the shocks. We got it out today on a set of loner wheels from my Gspeed and she had a blast. Rolled it a bunch, so I’m glad I didn’t add all the trim yet. After a little more practice hopefully her mirrors will last more than 15 minutes or so. We hope to crawl at our local park once a week with the trail trucks, good way to get some exercise!

Old 03-12-2022, 06:57 AM   #64
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALPINEX View Post
I developed the dreaded trans clicking. Pulled it, did the rubber glove mod on the shift levers, checked all the gears, and left the one cover screw slightly loose. I still have a little click, but not nearly as bad. Anyone have further input there?
I’ve heard people having different things solve their clicking issue. I’ve also heard of a few people stripping trans gears. I never looked into any of it, because I sold my vfd twin and installed a pro trans instead.

I would recommend emailing vp directly to see what they suggest.

Nice update, rig looks good. Nice to see your better half enjoying the hobby with you

Old 03-12-2022, 07:13 AM   #65
Go Buckeyes!

So cool to hear your girlfriend is into these little tiny rigs! My wife wants nothing to do with mine! I don't know, maybe that is a good thing!

Anyways, nice outdoor pics. Great choice on the TRX-4! A solid rig that will take the abuse of many rollovers as she learns how to drive it.

As for the clicking, knock on wood, mine does not have that dreaded click...yet! I have not had the chance to get mine out on real Earth yet since it is still cold and snowy here, but running it around on the carpet in the house I have not heard any clicking. If or when mine develops the click I'll see if I can be of any help and try to solve it.
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 09:10 AM   #66
Quarry Creeper

I'm glad she has begun to see the fun in it!! Next it'll be time to look at the next builds! Looks like a good spot to crawl.
Lashlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2022, 08:58 PM   #67
Rock Stacker

Thanks everyone. I’ve emailed Vanquish on the trans, I’m sure they know about the issue. It’s not a deal breaker, just annoying. I thought about going with the pro trans, but I really have found myself using both OD and DIG a ton!

Thanks for the compliments on Taylors rig, finally got all of her trim on and got her rally wheels built and installed, so she’s thrilled.

Old 03-18-2022, 09:07 PM   #68
Rock Stacker

For anyone dealing with the trans clicking, an update:

I emailed Vanquish, who said they have no idea without having the trans in hand. So I went through it again. I read about shims here, gear movement there, gears installed wrong etc etc and had none of that. Then I happened on an old Facebook thread, I think about an origin, which mentioned packing the top gear with grease solved the issue.

So I removed the top vfd cover, and spent 15 minutes rotating the trans and packing as much grease as I could in that top gear. I didn’t think it would matter (it had plenty of grease before) but 2 hours of crawling today and not a single click. I’ll be dipped.

Old 03-18-2022, 10:19 PM   #69
RCC Addict

Glad to hear the noise has gone away

Old 03-19-2022, 09:39 AM   #70
Quarry Creeper

That's great, and any easy fix at that!!
Lashlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2022, 07:42 PM   #71
Rock Stacker

Got my FAIF portal covers installed yesterday, fronts and rears. Took the truck crawling today and could immediately tell my ottsix foams are now way too soft. Can’t blame them, I bought them for my 5lb Gspeed. The truck did ok, but it’s not a proper test with the wrong foams.

Are most people running the front and rear covers? And what foams do people like for the heavier rigs. I’ll weigh my truck tonight, but I’m thinking 8.5lbs. I’m torn between anti foams and CI. I’ve never run either, but the CI remind me of the proline dual stage and I hated those. The anti foams give me a headache thinking about tuning (plus the $100 price tag). I’m running (and plan to keep running) proline predator compound tires.

Old 04-02-2022, 01:04 AM   #72

Is it even possible to get the gears in the wrong position?

Surely the transmission wouldn't be smooth at all right?

Also, are these sintered gears really that bad? Think I'll order a set....
Skynet5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 09:18 AM   #73
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skynet5 View Post
Also, are these sintered gears really that bad? Think I'll order a set....
In building my VFD Twin, I replaced all the transmission gears with the machined gears from the VFD gear set. Vanquish (according to Josh) was working on a machined set for the Twin (which would make sense, as the 'og' & Twin use different gear sets for the T-case section), but I still haven't seen them released.

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Panther6834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 03:30 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
In building my VFD Twin, I replaced all the transmission gears with the machined gears from the VFD gear set. Vanquish (according to Josh) was working on a machined set for the Twin (which would make sense, as the 'og' & Twin use different gear sets for the T-case section), but I still haven't seen them released.

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Do you mean to say youve swapped some of the gears out of the twin transmission with the machined pro set? But then left some of the sintered ones in?

That might be a good idea actually...seems to be the idler gear that goes..
Old 04-02-2022, 03:35 PM   #75
Rock Stacker

I’ve not yet had any issue with the stock gears, other than the clicking when the top gear is dry. I’m on 4s, but I do try to pay attention to the truck, avoiding binding it up too badly. There’s also a slipper, and if that’s set right it should go (or take shock loads) before the gears.

That said, a ton of people are breaking the gears, so maybe I’m wrong. Either way I’ll be buying a machined set when they come out.

Old 04-02-2022, 03:41 PM   #76
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Do you mean to say youve swapped some of the gears out of the twin transmission with the machined pro set? But then left some of the sintered ones in?

That might be a good idea actually...seems to be the idler gear that goes..
Yes. Technically, the VFD transmissions (og & Twin) are identical, with the exact same gears...but, it's the The cases that utilize different gears. So, I used all the transmission gears from the 'Pro' kit, saving the T-case gears for a future C2 build that will run an og VFD. That way, when Vanquish did finally release the machined gear set, I'll only have to disassemble the T-case portion of the VFD Twin, replacing the sintered gears. Then, I'll take the transmission gears, and put them in the same bag as the T-case gears from the 'Pro' set.

Old 04-03-2022, 02:47 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
Yes. Technically, the VFD transmissions (og & Twin) are identical, with the exact same gears...but, it's the The cases that utilize different gears. So, I used all the transmission gears from the 'Pro' kit, saving the T-case gears for a future C2 build that will run an og VFD. That way, when Vanquish did finally release the machined gear set, I'll only have to disassemble the T-case portion of the VFD Twin, replacing the sintered gears. Then, I'll take the transmission gears, and put them in the same bag as the T-case gears from the 'Pro' set.

Thanks! Not your explanation, just my lack of knowledge of what a transmission is and what the t case is. I'll be doing more reading and might shoot you a message if you don't mind to help clarify.
Old 04-03-2022, 02:49 PM   #78

I made a little course in my garden. I notice some clicking. Not when it's on the flat, but when I'm going over something and turning the wheels. I've added a load of grease already, but someone, exo?, Mentioned shimming the top gear helps, anyone know what side and exactly what is making the clicking noise? I guess it could be the pin in the top shaft and the bearing?
Old 04-03-2022, 03:15 PM   #79

Why didn't they change the install direction of this screw (circled in blue, so access to the top gear was 100 less steps?
Old 04-03-2022, 03:52 PM   #80
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Thanks! Not your explanation, just my lack of knowledge of what a transmission is and what the t case is. I'll be doing more reading and might shoot you a message if you don't mind to help clarify.
I can do that...more then happy to provide whatever help/info I can...but, at the same time, there are also plenty in the RCC forum who know tons more then I do. I only got into crawlers a lil over 2yrs ago...I've been more of a "go fast" kinda guy, having mostly on-road & off-road racers & bashers to and FE boats.

Got myself a Phoenix! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
new to phoenix SCX10FAN Arizona 5 02-21-2013 12:33 PM
Phoenix Difuser 1.9 Scale Rigs 37 01-23-2012 05:28 PM
New to Phoenix LexieVW Arizona 2 03-27-2011 07:40 PM
phoenix az theacura Arizona 3 12-04-2007 10:42 PM
Arizona, Phoenix, PARC (Phoenix Arizona Rock Crawlers) kevinlongisland Competition Results 5 12-18-2005 03:20 PM