Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Ascender

Notices

Thread: Jeep Cherokee Ascender Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2015, 09:29 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Jeep Cherokee Ascender Build

Just finished my ascender build, overall it went pretty smooth, the links gave me the most trouble. Running a brushless system in it, 150A hobbywing esc (overkill) but only one I have working currently. 2900kv axial motor out of an exo I think, lowest kv motor I have at the moment. And a cheap $15 200oz servo from Neewer (which works fine for now), and a Castle 10A BEC with the holmes hobbies bypass. Body is a Pro-line jeep cherokee, and wheels are Pro-line Denali 1.9 with Deuces Wild 1.9 closed cell foams. The beadlocks work just fine with the Vaterra 1.9 swampers, no problem seating the bead on them. Hope you guys like it!

Last edited by stillsmokin875; 06-17-2015 at 08:39 AM.
stillsmokin875 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-16-2015, 11:29 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Jeep Cherokee Ascender Build

It looks good! Great pictures on the rocks. Pssst don't feel ashamed of the ESC I use a RX8 GEN2, and I think they are 210a......what ever that means?!
Alexander_0_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 05:04 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Looks real good. X-nay on the front bunper.one or the other
truckbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 05:43 AM   #4
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander_0_1 View Post
It looks good! Great pictures on the rocks. Pssst don't feel ashamed of the ESC I use a RX8 GEN2, and I think they are 210a......what ever that means?!
why would he feel ashamed at least it didn't cost him 300.00 for a gen2 combo.I have the hobbyking 150A with no issues at 65.00 a pop can't go wrong.Buy 3.

Last edited by rustneversleeps; 06-17-2015 at 07:31 AM.
rustneversleeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 06:26 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Talking Re: Jeep Cherokee Ascender Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustneversleeps View Post
why would he feel ashamed at lease it didn't cost him 300.00 for a gen2 combo.I have the hobbyking 150A with no issues at 65.00 a pop can't go wrong.Buy 3.
I just meant that he shouldn't feel weird about using a big ESC, since I use big ESCs for everything.....um, I did buy three!

Although, would hobbyking replace it, you know, if it went up in flames.....tekin has already taken care of me in that respect....sent me a out a whole NIB RX8 GEN2, on the last week of warranty.

And your Canadian, I expect you to know how to spell least!

Last edited by Alexander_0_1; 06-17-2015 at 06:47 AM.
Alexander_0_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 07:49 AM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
I just meant that he shouldn't feel weird about using a big ESC, since I use big ESCs for everything.....um, I did buy three!

Although, would hobbyking replace it, you know, if it went up in flames.....tekin has already taken care of me in that respect....sent me a out a whole NIB RX8 GEN2, on the last week of warranty.

Cool! I thought you were making fun of him cause of a Hobbyking product and being big of coarse.I don't think Hobbyking would replace unless you sent them the burnt one and it would be month before he gets it back,as for rx8 is a good product for sure, love to have one,but lots of $$$
and fix the spelling e close to t on the keyboard,...
Old 06-17-2015, 08:37 AM   #7
Rock Stacker

Quote:

lol, yea not ashamed, just didn't realize other people ran big esc's like that in 1/10 scale rigs. I love the esc, plenty of power for whatever situation you use it in. Only problem is finding enough real estate for it. I had to remove the fan so I could fit it between the rear shock towers underneath the shock tower brace. Never ran Tekin, but their reputation in the hobby is big, and they seem to stand by there products.
Old 06-17-2015, 11:51 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillsmokin875 View Post
Just finished my ascender build, overall it went pretty smooth, the links gave me the most trouble. Running a brushless system in it, 150A hobbywing esc (overkill) but only one I have working currently. 2900kv axial motor out of an exo I think, lowest kv motor I have at the moment. And a cheap $15 200oz servo from Neewer (which works fine for now), and a Castle 10A BEC with the holmes hobbies bypass. Body is a Pro-line jeep cherokee, and wheels are Pro-line Denali 1.9 with Deuces Wild 1.9 closed cell foams. The beadlocks work just fine with the Vaterra 1.9 swampers, no problem seating the bead on them. Hope you guys like it!
Looks great! What's the CI part number for the DW foams that you used? As far as electronics go, run what works for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckbob View Post
Looks real good. X-nay on the front bunper.one or the other
X2 I"d cut the front bumper off, leave the rear for now and drop the body down.

EDIT: Maybe trim the ends of front bumper too.

Last edited by Natedog; 06-17-2015 at 12:47 PM.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 12:44 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
Looks great! What's the CI part number for the DW foams that you used? As far as electronics go, run what works for you.

The CI part # is CRI-3001 (Previous Part # SSCC1.9RB), they are designed for the Pit Bull Rock Beast Tires, but work well with the Vaterra 1.9 swampers.

X2 I"d cut the front bumper off, leave the rear for now and drop the body down.
This is probably what I will do, been thinking about trimming the fenders so I can drop the body more and not rub the tires so bad.
Old 06-17-2015, 11:28 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
This is probably what I will do, been thinking about trimming the fenders so I can drop the body more and not rub the tires so bad.
While you do that you may want to slap on a set of custom fender flares of some sort since your trimming the fenders to lower the body..
I use to own 1:1 85 XJ wish i still had it..
Old 06-22-2015, 08:29 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

So changed a few things on the Ascender. Added the Axial fender flares to the jeep body to help clearance the wheels better and help lower the body. I also removed the front stock bumper for now until I figure something else out. I didn't like the floating battery tray, so I removed the connector from the axle and zip-tied the tray to the servo mount. I also changed the spur to a 88t and the pinion to a 16t, plan on maybe switching over to 32p gears in the future. And lastly I twisted my rear axle shaft already, used the replacement from the kit. I have the HD shafts on order, if they don't hold up I'll throw some MIP X-duty shafts on there.

Last edited by stillsmokin875; 07-10-2015 at 07:36 PM.
Old 07-10-2015, 01:57 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

So the rigs come a long way since those first photos. In fact, just about everything with the layout of the electronics has changed. Had time for a quick photo shoot today, this thing looks more and more realistic by the day. By far my favorite RC I have right now, and I'm going to continue to upgrade this rig in the future!

Old 07-10-2015, 04:29 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

Sorting through some shots from today and noticed the cantilever system in the back was visible in this shot. Someone said that it takes away from the scale look, but I think it looks pretty mechanical in there lol.

Old 07-10-2015, 05:32 PM   #14
RCC Addict

Your right it's looking more and more realistic as you drive it as you put on the body damage.Looking nice.
Anyways could we see pics of those cantilever and how you installed it...
I seen that set on E-bay looks interesting...
Old 07-10-2015, 05:34 PM   #15
RCC Addict

Never mine.Found it thanks...
Old 07-10-2015, 07:28 PM   #16
Rock Stacker

Couldn't resist a trail run today! Loving how these pics are turning out and how well this truck is performing! Enjoy!

Sadly I have a damage report I will post up pics when I tear into it.
Old 07-10-2015, 07:55 PM   #17
Rock Stacker

Well....guess its time to back off on the ole slipper lol broke the front right CVD at the ball joint. No telling how long it had been like that during the trail run, but now I know and now it has to be fixed

Last edited by stillsmokin875; 07-10-2015 at 07:58 PM.
Old 07-10-2015, 08:26 PM   #18
RCC Addict

Maybe you can get a replacement from horizon hobby,just let them know your a test pilot from quality and control..
All kidding aside it's good to know what breaks and what are the weak parts
I'm really thinking of buying the kit version.i do have the Axial family and like to own one of these and the twin hammer
XJ still looks real keep up the good work man....
Oh fender flare are right at home on that body to..cool
Old 07-10-2015, 09:45 PM   #19
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Well....guess its time to back off on the ole slipper lol broke the front right CVD at the ball joint. No telling how long it had been like that during the trail run, but now I know and now it has to be fixed

Well at least im not the only one snapping these things.
MudMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 10:11 PM   #20
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudMonster View Post
Well at least im not the only one snapping these things.
How many have you broken? This is my first one, I hope the last one too, but that's the nature of RC lol.

Jeep Cherokee Ascender Build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My first build... SCX-10 Jeep Cherokee conklinator 1.9 Scale Rigs 26 03-20-2015 04:47 PM
My 01 Jeep Cherokee XJ build FleXJ01 1:1 Full Size Vehicles 1 05-26-2013 05:37 AM
my jeep grand cherokee build jesusfreakxj Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 3 01-24-2013 11:21 AM
my jeep cherokee build! thomas Axial SCX-10 8 11-27-2011 09:14 PM