Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Ascender

Notices

Thread: Scaler's Tweaking Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2017, 04:37 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Scaler's Tweaking Thread

Well it's finally time to start minor tweaking from what I've learn't and read on the forum ( Thank you for all the advice )

I'd thought I'd start on something extremely simple but the front grill needed the stickers fitted but decided instead to paint it. I've used a matt paint and still waiting for it to dry so still gloss but been annoying me since I got it out the box.

I will update this as I go but time is very limited

Anyways first two photo's off the grill

Half way through

Completed

Last edited by Scaler Ascender; 01-24-2017 at 06:30 PM. Reason: Correcting Photo's
Scaler Ascender is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-2017, 05:57 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Scaler's Tweaking Thread

Looks great, good move with the painting, I used stickers and think I need to pull them out and paint, they just don't look as good up close.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Chris81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 08:05 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

Thank you, I used Tamiya Rubber Black to give a matt type of finish to it when it dry's. Not sure is as crisp as I wanted but at near midnight. I'm happy enough with the result.

I think I'm going to go matt black wheels to as I'm just not a chrome sort of guy. I would like to put standard Axial Beadlocks on with the locks on the wrong way round like on my old rig
I've completed a couple of the suggested modifications, Body has been lowered and notched out to sit over the bumper supports. Body has been trimmed as advised to allow the lower body height. I've as suggested on the Vaterra Beginner's Guide video also move the adjustable suspension 'caps?' to allow for a little bit of droop as advised.

So looking forward to finally try this out. I have ordered a Defender 90 Body as I never got to finish my last build.

I really wanted to swap to a different (more scale to me) tyres but as per advice I've soaked them and going to give them a try before doing anything. Although I do really like the RC4WD Dirt Grabbers. I don't want to make to many changes from stock just to see how every change effects capability of the Ascender. I'll update the post tomorrow with how the maiden voyage went
Went out today to try out the Ascender and it was absolutely fantastic. Went where I wanted, Never got stuck although not the most extreme test for it but for me Overall very capable truck.

The more I look at it the more I want to change the body which I will do but chassis wise no massive changes will be made only tweaks. I would like a stronger servo but not sure if this will just move the weakness to another part of the steering so I'll have to think about what to do.

Anyways with my rambling. Very very happy so happy I selected the Vaterra

Sorry no photo's was having to much fun

Last edited by THX_138; 01-25-2017 at 10:26 PM.
Old 01-24-2017, 03:57 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Glad you had a great first run! I've never read about anyone having issues with the stock steering set up after switching to a stronger servo so you should be fine to do that. I'm sure others will chime in if I'm wrong here...but imo the whole ascender design is pretty rugged!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Chris81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 04:20 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Happy that the Beginner's Guide helped, the shock "caps" you refer to are the threaded adjustable spring preload collars, backing them off for lower ride height really helps the crawling ability. If your shocks are not internally limited, and you back them off until they touch the shock caps (retains the shock oil and provides upper mounting point to the chassis) then a little E6000 on the spring and lower shock spring cup will keep the cups from popping off and going mia, which will result in an even lower riding truck. Looking forward to your D90 body swap, that's one of my favorites!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scaler Ascender View Post
Well went out today to try out the Ascender and it was absolutely fantastic. Went where I wanted, Never got stuck although not the most extreme test for it but for me Overall very capable truck. The more I look at it the more I want to change the body which I will do but chassis wise no massive changes will be made only tweaks. I would like a stronger servo but not sure if this will just move the weakness to another part of the steering so I'll have to think about what to do.

Anyways with my rambling. Very very happy so happy I selected the Vaterra
Awesome! Stronger servo (and BEC as needed to feed it more amps) will not expose any weakness in the Ascender, I'm running Hitec HS7950TH in both and no problems aside from normal wear and tear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris81 View Post
Glad you had a great first run! I've never read about anyone having issues with the stock steering set up after switching to a stronger servo so you should be fine to do that. I'm sure others will chime in if I'm wrong here...but imo the whole ascender design is pretty rugged!
X2, do it! Ascender is a ruggedly built platform.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 04:20 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

Thank you confirming about there no should be any further issues with the steering if I upgrade the Servo. I'm not sure if times have changed lol but reading old posts a Savox SW0231MG Waterproof was recommended so I think I'll go with the suggestion

I've ordered a Defender 90 body and I think after upgrading the servo. I'll have a proper play with the shocks and play around with the setup. I've bought a second pair for $26 I think the conversion works out at so I can swap on a test run to different setups

What a community on here

EDIT: Natedog's post I only seen after posting my reply. If I remember correctly it might have been on your thread a Castle Creations BEC which I will order. I seem to be ordering the wrong things at the wrong time. Excitement I think lol

I wouldn't mind being an ambassador for the Ascender totally this rig even near box stock

FURTHER EDIT: I had google E6000 lol

Found out the Mrs took a photo randomly when we were near the car not the clearest of photo's and only me doing a little mud bogging lol but I do have a photo of it's first outing

Last edited by THX_138; 01-25-2017 at 10:27 PM. Reason: Merge, posts minutes apart

Scaler's Tweaking Thread - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tweaking my xr10 stance Savagethrash Axial XR10 8 01-11-2015 12:51 AM
Time for tweaking... artsifrtsi Team Losi Comp Crawler 4 01-19-2010 12:24 PM
high lift tweaking eh bumbai Hawaii 1 05-05-2008 03:30 AM
my servo is tweaking out yotachump Electronics 29 04-07-2008 08:16 PM