Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Ascender

Notices

Thread: Pro line power stroke scaler shocks dont work man.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2018, 06:25 AM   #1

Default Pro line power stroke scaler shocks dont work man.

Bought these for my Ascender K10, (p/n: 6060-00) and they are waaay too short, even with the longer shock ends. Could I buy longer shock ends or am I just out of luck?
Datsun82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-2018, 08:22 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Pro line power stroke scaler shocks dont work man.

How long are the longer shock ends? That will determine if you can find even longer ones. Maybe look for an ascender lift kit that lowers the chassis mounting point some.
JDM74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 12:53 AM   #3
wyd
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Datsun82 View Post
Bought these for my Ascender K10, (p/n: 6060-00) and they are waaay too short, even with the longer shock ends. Could I buy longer shock ends or am I just out of luck?
I had the same problem. Now I have a set of new Power Strokes sitting around doing nothing. I ended up buy the aluminum ones from Horizon that are longer. Going to put the new ones on tomorrow. Sucks I ended up buying shocks twice.
wyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 01:02 PM   #4
RCC Addict

It’s better that they’re shorter. Lowers your COG, and they’re a much better shock than stock, which are waaaaay too long. I ran the Powerstrokes on my Ascender (with the longer rod ends that come with) and it went anywhere. I wasted my money on the Vaterra alunimum shocks at one point - they are overpriced for the quality you get IMO.
LSXGMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 04:23 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

My RTR and kit stock plastic shocks have been leak free, same for my Vaterra aluminum shocks. I internally limit all of them to keep the stance low and crawl better imo.

Problem with shorter shocks is often the collapsed length is too short and travel is then limited by links hitting stuff, better to limit with shocks. As mentioned a set of lift/lower brackets might set up the Proline just fine.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 09:40 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

I have tried every proline powerstroke on my ascender. The scaler versions are what I started with, along with 4’’ tires. Looked great as a stock looking K5. The scalers were great, but I didn’t like that proline didn’t offer a spring kit for them.
I did ask proline last year about springs for the scalers, they told me they pass it onto the R&D department.

Still one of my favourites shocks though.

Moving on to powerstroke SCT front shocks I like these cause of the length, they allowed my ascender to keep a stock-ish looking ride height, but with a spring kit that allowed me to stiffen up the suspension, almost getting rid of the torque twist. Still using 4’’ tires.

I then tried the powerstroke SCT rears, and much like the fronts I ordered the spring kit (same reason). But the rears were long enough to allow for a larger tire about 4.5’’, or a standard 1.9’’ rock beast II tire. The tires started to rub on the bodies fenders under suspension flex, about as much as a stock RTR, not a big deal, it still performed like it should.

Lastly I aquired a set of powerstroke XDs. These are also a great shock. They are roughly .31” longer than the stock Vaterra ascender shocks, but they keep the ride height as close to out-of-the-Box, as you can get while using powerstrokes. They are also long enough to eliminate that pesky panhard bar from colliding with your servo horn, or servo. I do wish they had more spring options. On the plus side one can install 1.9” rock beast II xl tires without too much rubbing on the body, myself I kept the 4.5” rock beasts.

None of my powerstrokes leak! Maybe I’m lucky, but I’d like to think I put them together quite expertly...lol!

Last edited by Alexander_0_1; 02-26-2018 at 11:44 AM.
Alexander_0_1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Pro line power stroke scaler shocks dont work man. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Let's see the pro line power stroke scaler shocks. hpiontherocks Axial SCX-10 3 02-12-2014 11:14 AM