Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Ascender

Notices

Thread: Which parts to stock up on?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2020, 12:27 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Which parts to stock up on?

Now that the Ascender is done for, which parts should we stock up on for the future? I was thinking maybe gear sets, drive shafts, and axle housings. What other parts might I need in the future that I will wish I had when all the parts dry up? Thanks!

Last edited by Stomp; 09-27-2020 at 12:34 AM.
Stomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-27-2020, 02:35 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Which parts to stock up on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stomp View Post
Now that the Ascender is done for, which parts should we stock up on for the future? I was thinking maybe gear sets, drive shafts, and axle housings. What other parts might I need in the future that I will wish I had when all the parts dry up? Thanks!

I keep extra wheel nuts, random sizes of screws, wheel hexes, body pins, scale bungee cords, servo horn etc. I even have a spare servo. I keep a spare tire on me all the time(looks and part) since I have a roof rack, I put the spare parts in a small plastic chest and bungee it to the roof.

When I go trailing, I’ll always take a grab bag of extra stuff and tools. A 4 way wrench is very helpful.

Hope this helps!

How do you like the Ascender? I was looking at one before I got my TRX4.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ScaleLifeNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 11:40 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaleLifeNewbie View Post
I keep extra wheel nuts, random sizes of screws, wheel hexes, body pins, scale bungee cords, servo horn etc. I even have a spare servo. I keep a spare tire on me all the time(looks and part) since I have a roof rack, I put the spare parts in a small plastic chest and bungee it to the roof.

When I go trailing, I’ll always take a grab bag of extra stuff and tools. A 4 way wrench is very helpful.

Hope this helps!

How do you like the Ascender? I was looking at one before I got my TRX4.

It is a great rig. The torque twist seems to bother some people but it does not affect it when crawling. Yes the body tilts some when speeding off, but this thing is such a great crawler. That is why I Was thinking of stocking up on some spare parts. My axle housing are getting pretty worn down so I was going to order those to have on hand. I have not read of anyone having gears break. So those might not be needed. These rigs have a good reputation of being pretty bomb proof.
Old 09-27-2020, 12:17 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Funny as it sounds, you might be just as well off to buy a complete Suburban (just because it's the cheapest version and is still in stock at many hobby shops) to keep for spares for your current Ascender. You could sell off the non specific stuff (body, wheels/tires, electronics) and have all the mechanical spares you'd need to keep yours alive for the next 5-10 years, for less than $200.
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 12:59 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLetterJ View Post
Funny as it sounds, you might be just as well off to buy a complete Suburban (just because it's the cheapest version and is still in stock at many hobby shops) to keep for spares for your current Ascender. You could sell off the non specific stuff (body, wheels/tires, electronics) and have all the mechanical spares you'd need to keep yours alive for the next 5-10 years, for less than $200.

That’s a good idea! I imagine it would be cheaper in the long run aswell instead of buying parts price by piece.

ScaleLifeNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 02:09 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLetterJ View Post

I don’t think that’s a bad plan at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rkj__ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 04:53 PM   #7
RCC Addict

I would and do keep a few axle housings, c hubs and knuckles. I have so many of the aluminum pieces that I’ve got several of the plastic ones for spares. Really the only thing that is Vaterra specific are the axles and gears which is keep a set or two. The driveshafts are specific but with the adapters, you can run any driveshaft. Transmission gears but those are pretty bomb proof. I wouldn’t buy a suburban because they have plastic trans gears, and plastic links. I’d just buy a couple axle housings. A diff set or two maybe and maybe a set of trans gears. Everything else can be made to fit easily. Links are links, electronics are electronics, shocks can be made to fit easily etc.

Ben
Itali83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 07:01 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

I'll add if there are any aftermarket bits you want you might want to get them now as they wont be around forever.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 01:42 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Lots of good ideas. Thanks for the replies.
Old 09-30-2020, 10:32 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

I stocked up on axle housings, c-hubs, knuckles, Cvd's, driveshafts and trans gears. Should be plenty prepared for years more service.
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 10:50 AM   #11
Slow is the new Fast

Personally I have upgraded my steering knuckle and hubs to brass/aluminum and just held on to the original plastic pieces. Bought some spare diff gears and have a spare set of axle housings as well. I have never actually broken any ascender parts , if I remember correctly, so am not too worried about stocking a ton of stuff.
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 03:53 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

just today i broke a cvd...after 4 years , i guess i will stock up on those, question is should i get stock or gpm? any experience with the gpm ones?
cartronicshn is offline   Reply With Quote

Which parts to stock up on? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
G Made stock parts,Dig plus more are in stock. RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 0 08-16-2010 07:04 PM