Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Twin Hammers

Notices

Thread: metal gears or alloy knuckles/castor blocks? which upgrade first?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2013, 08:19 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default metal gears or alloy knuckles/castor blocks? which upgrade first?

looking for some opinions. don't have enough funds to do both. just for reference i'm more into crawling/light trail running vs. high speed bashing. i'm leaning towards the gears but i was hoping others could comment on reliability.
jebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-17-2013, 08:28 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Depends on the power you are running. I also run mainly trails, I have a mostly stock scx jeep, has built axles but run stock wild boar drive shafts and all stock trans, stock axial 2s speed control and brushed motor. On the other hand my dmg koh #7 running a mmp pro4 hd 550 1850kv brushless setup, I mainly hill climb with it, its fully built every thing. I drive it like its built too.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2
savagebeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 08:38 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: metal gears or alloy knuckles/castor blocks? which upgrade first?

Quote:
Originally Posted by savagebeast View Post
Depends on the power you are running. I also run mainly trails, I have a mostly stock scx jeep, has built axles but run stock wild boar drive shafts and all stock trans, stock axial 2s speed control and brushed motor. On the other hand my dmg koh #7 running a mmp pro4 hd 550 1850kv brushless setup, I mainly hill climb with it, its fully built every thing. I drive it like its built too.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2
i'm running a 30t brushed motor on 2s & 3s packs with a micro pro esc.

just looking for experience people have had with the twin hammers. i have several scx based rigs and know which items i would upgrade on those. i'm new to the twin hammers.
Old 10-17-2013, 09:33 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

I'm still running stock drive shafts and plastic knuckles/carriers. Atleast 30+ hrs of runtime on 3s with a 30t motor.

I've been waiting to see what will break, but she's holding up fine lol. Makes me nervous because I want to run her in an upcoming G6, but don't want to see a failure there.
Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 09:38 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

I have a stock trans on mine as well as driveshafts and axles. I only have a front locker. I do mostly G6's and scale comps. I run a HH trailmaster sport 45 turn on 3s with a losi Kevlar 32 pitch gears. I have never had a driveline issue since the Hammers was released. I would do the knuckles and castor blocks. Keep the slipper a little loose and you won't have driveline problems.
iluvdrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 09:43 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

I did upgrade trans gears, forgot about that, just because quite a few stripped them in the beginning. I did switch to 32p gears as well. I don't run a front locker though, silly putty in diff. Also added 3/16" 7075 alum tie rods/steering arms with revo links

Seems like the locker is the biggest culprit when people have troubles, but I'm sure that's a driving style issue as well.
Old 10-17-2013, 11:17 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

i just pulled my locker and was going to give the diff with 500k oil a try. still want a little crawling capability but some give would be ok. maybe that give is enough to keep the stock tranny gears going.

i just did the traxxas steering mod on mine so that may have an impact on the knuckles. given all the slop in the stock equipment there was so much given the knuckles/castor blocks didn't ever get much stress. maybe that will change now.

it does seem to be a coin toss. have to do a little more research.
Old 10-17-2013, 11:27 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Have you noticed it having a lot more bump steer with the traxxas conversion now?
Old 10-17-2013, 11:51 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin View Post
Have you noticed it having a lot more bump steer with the traxxas conversion now?
no, but it hasn't left the workbench yet!

i'll open up a build thread with pics soon. while i had it torn down for the steering mod i decided to do the upright shock conversion and add a winch. it hasn't seen the light of day in a couple weeks because i don't get too much time to work on my rigs.
Old 10-17-2013, 12:31 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

oh, no need to run it to see what I mean lol.

But, it hasn't seemed to cause any ill issues either, so I was just curious

metal gears or alloy knuckles/castor blocks? which upgrade first? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Alloy steering/hub blocks simon170 Traxxas Crawlers 12 11-07-2012 01:14 AM
Metal or alloy tranny and differential gears??? illz302 HPI Wheely King 3 08-20-2009 03:24 AM
Integy Castor Blocks & Clod Knuckles The BFG Tamiya Clod Buster 3 10-25-2007 03:57 PM