Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Twin Hammers

Notices

Thread: ESC continuous amps for TH

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2015, 08:39 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default ESC continuous amps for TH

OK, I'm narrowing down my options for an ESC. In this buggy, what will be the pros and cons of a 60 amp ESC vs a 120 amp ESC. Some comments suggest that higher amperage is important in racing, but in crawling, and maybe even rock racing, not so much.

Under what conditions would there be a real need for a 120 amp ESC?
gfmucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-18-2015, 06:52 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: ESC continuous amps for TH

Your going to be pushing a 60 amp esc at it's limits. Most electronics last longer if you don't run them at their limits. See where I'm going with this. The design of the Twin Hammers limits airflow to the electonics, so ideally they should be slightly over-spec'd to ensure cool running and long life.

If your driving like a maniac at WOT most of the time in a high load surface, like sand or snow, then you have a ligitimate need for a 120 amp esc. Also note that most esc's ratings are "burst" not continious, which adds to the confusion when comparing different manufacture's specs.

Best ESC for the dollar, IMO, is currently a Traxxas ET3-s as a new take-off from Ebay out of a Traxxas Dragster. Similar capabilities as a more expensive Castle Mamba Max Pro, but limited to 3s power and has shorter wires that will need to be extended to comfortably fit a Twin Hammers. I've picked up several for about $65 in the last year. Haven't had one fail yet.
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

ESC continuous amps for TH - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
esc amps 98greensi Electronics 3 03-29-2015 02:32 PM
esc amps? 98greensi Axial SCX-10 7 03-27-2015 07:29 PM
anyone know the continuous amps of a CC Mamma Max Pro esc ? slashbasher Electronics 4 07-02-2011 03:22 PM
Xl-5 or EN-1 esc OK on 12V @ 2 amps? MikeSSS Electronics 0 10-23-2010 10:41 PM
Question about this ESC and amps STJ7780 Electronics 7 12-15-2007 08:50 AM