RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Vaterra Twin Hammers (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/vaterra-twin-hammers/)
-   -   Front suspension (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/vaterra-twin-hammers/604007-front-suspension.html)

Dhallmark 11-22-2018 07:37 PM

Front suspension

Just picked up a TH rtr for cheap and started doing a little research about the front suspension and steering. Looked through a lot of the post on here and see a bunch of the GCM suspension kit and a decent amount of the scorched parts kit. I’m sure it’s been asked but I didn’t really see an answer. Between the two has anyone tried both out and seen one to be clearly better than the other? If I do the scorched kit I know I may as well do his battery relocation kit and esc relocation kit. If I do GCM I know I also have to get the scorched bellcrank kit so cost ends up about the same either way. Hit me with your opinions or if there’s a post that already covers this let me know and I’ll keep digging to find it. Thanks!

jgrim 11-24-2018 09:48 AM

Re: Front suspension

A lot depends on how you plan to use the TH, and your driving style. I tried the GCM front plate and it felt front end heavy. It think it would be ideal for slow crawling, but did not feel right for the trailing and dune running I like to do. I ended up with the Scorched Parts steering conversion. I left the suspension stock except for using lighter oil in the shocks (35/15 weight, front/rear) and slightly softer springs (Losi whites) in the rear.

byrnieman 11-24-2018 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dhallmark (Post 5886335)
Just picked up a TH rtr for cheap and started doing a little research about the front suspension and steering. Looked through a lot of the post on here and see a bunch of the GCM suspension kit and a decent amount of the scorched parts kit. I’m sure it’s been asked but I didn’t really see an answer. Between the two has anyone tried both out and seen one to be clearly better than the other? If I do the scorched kit I know I may as well do his battery relocation kit and esc relocation kit. If I do GCM I know I also have to get the scorched bellcrank kit so cost ends up about the same either way. Hit me with your opinions or if there’s a post that already covers this let me know and I’ll keep digging to find it. Thanks!

I haven't tried the Scorched but I run my TH in the 1.9IFS U4RC class and use the GCM front plate and shock towers. Great product that also allows me to mount my battery up front. I use the Sr Irie bell crank for the steering mod. Great setup for racing although probably a touch nose heavy with the Lipo up front.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Dhallmark 11-25-2018 03:24 PM

I would say driving wise it will probably be more of a trail run/crawler use. I like what I’ve read about the scorched stuff pretty much just working without doing internal or external limiters and liked the fact that the suspension/steering were designed as a bolt and go system. I like crawling so I’m wondering how much better the GCM with the battery up front versus the scorched setup with the battery in the tub would do. Anyway, thanks for the input guys!

Genghis Ken 04-01-2019 05:47 PM

Well, which way did you go?

alexleblanc 04-02-2019 10:43 AM

I'm in the middle of building a TH with the GCM setup and I've also got a Clone hammer waiting on me installed the scorched stuff so i should have a pretty decent basis for comparison.

I've never so much as driven the TH but its one of the builds that i'm doing that will come along with me on my RV travels - look forward to it.

Natedog 04-05-2019 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dhallmark (Post 5886954)
I would say driving wise it will probably be more of a trail run/crawler use. I like what I’ve read about the scorched stuff pretty much just working without doing internal or external limiters and liked the fact that the suspension/steering were designed as a bolt and go system.

"thumbsup"

Quote:

Originally Posted by alexleblanc (Post 5924293)
I'm in the middle of building a TH with the GCM setup and I've also got a Clone hammer waiting on me installed the scorched stuff so i should have a pretty decent basis for comparison.

I've never so much as driven the TH but its one of the builds that i'm doing that will come along with me on my RV travels - look forward to it.

ScorchedRC seems like the best general setup that just works, doesn't add excess weight or move excess forces to other areas of the TH, plus he's been here on RCC helping lots. :)

Looking forward to seeing your TwinHammers for RV travels!

Yeti.stealth 04-05-2019 03:01 PM

A bit off topic, but still TH front suspension related, has anyone laid eyes on the new front suspension canter levers?

Vaterra had to change them due to Traxxas Patent problems.

Anybody got a pic of the new part?

M1tch 04-05-2019 04:01 PM

I don't know anything about them. Maybe Rich Trujillo does?

Yeti.stealth 04-05-2019 10:58 PM

Rich will know about them for sure! I was just wondering what the part looks like now?

Here is a link to the notice on horizon website https://www.horizonhobby.com/front-r...Atwh-vtr234004