Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Venom Creeper

Notices

Thread: Rear Axle Tear Down (Again)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2009, 10:34 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Rear Axle Tear Down (Again)

Well last night messing around with the Creeper it got wedge into a spot and then when freed up I noticed that it was unlocked, like something stripped

About 3weeks ago I JB welded the Diff Lock in place, so my thought was the spider gears gave way. After opening the Diff Case and Locker Case spider gears where fine and in great shape. I did notice though that the pins in the locker managed to move out from carrier after I had presseed them in & used the JB weld. So for the time being I pressed them back in and cleaned the surface a little to re-weld the pin in place.

I've been beating on this Creeper for the last month and it has definately been holding up to everything, but sometimes the little things start get annoying. I would say my biggest complaint on the Creeper are the dam Beadlocks. The DO NOT seal well with other tires and it get very annoying every couple runs I have to re-set the beads.

I like what Venom has done for this being my first r/c crawler but some of these little issues definately need to be looked into.

I'm still a happy Venom owner, but we'll see what happens after I hit a couple comps with fall/winter. My eyes have been looking & reading about the Losi 2.2 but not yet ready to give up or re-invest money in another one.

Chris
snwchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-2009, 10:51 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Why not throw some axial lockers in there and get some different wheels? Thats what im gonna do when i encounter these problems. So far so good though.
ser3100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 11:04 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I probably will, but was trying not to spend more money on it currently. More then likely will be ordering the Axial HD Locker and do the mod to fit in diff case and will probably be ordering the JConcepts Tense Beadlocks.

Will probably order next month so that way they are here just in case.

I'm in the process of trying to decide if I should upgrade to new CKRC chassis and order a Dig set-up as well.

Chris
Old 10-09-2009, 12:50 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

2mm self tapping screws about 10mm long wil cure the beadlock issue ... they'll grip like never before and won't loosen.
Although I did spring for some VP SLW's but that was more so I could playwith the track width (or ... was it really my secret backup plan if the screw change didn't work)

Have you tried the alloy diff's? I grabbed a set when i bought the creeper and added them right off. I know more parts is not what you wanted to hear ... but they seem to work quite well.
Rockfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 01:41 PM   #5

I just had a similar experience with my front end. It kept coming unlocked eventhough the set screw was as tight as it could be. My diff case had stripped where the locking ring goes into it. I used the alloy cases on it (wish I would have gotten them from the beginning) and sanded down an old RC10 shock spacer to put between the ring and the bearing to keep it locked. Seemed to work as I've done the same SS mod on the back weeks ago and its still holding well.

I've also been eyeballing MOA rigs but I like the creeper, the little things did start to add up and it got annoying but with the sportsman class coming on line it might be fun to comp still. I almost want to get a bone stock Axial just to see if it's really that much less of a rig out of the box than the Venom. It really seems like the Venom has come alive with Rovers and a stage 2 type setup and some wheel weight.
wiznich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 02:24 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

yea with the Rovers it definately makes a bid difference
Old 10-09-2009, 08:49 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

apparently fast lane machining makes a locker that fits the venom dif cases without any modding, i read it somewhere in the venom forum.
The_kernel114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 10:13 PM   #8
RCC Addict

they make a axial one only
Flyin Hawaiian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 12:11 PM   #9

Here is the link to the thread about the FLM lockers for the creeper.

FLM Locker For Venom Install
Crazy Clyde is offline   Reply With Quote