Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Venom Creeper

Notices

Thread: New noob intro and ESC question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2009, 08:58 AM   #1

Default New noob intro and ESC question

Hey all great forum. ive been reading most of the posts on the creeper section and have gone through all the crreper pages here so that i can learn as much as possible before asking dumb questions.

I ordered 2 creepers for my son and myself. they should arrive today but wifey wont let me open em till xmas day.

I have a question about the ESC. I am completly new to electric RC and crawlers. I've always run nitro trucks.

basically what should i know about the whole ECS thing? can you all give me some info or point me in the right direction as to what i might need to do with it. or is it just a plug and play type thing?

ive scanned all these pages already but havent gone out to the other parts of the forums. im sure ill come across what i need to know soon but figured i'd introduce myself and ask my first noob question.

Thanks in advance for any help
Drunken is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-23-2009, 09:14 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Welcome Drunken,what esc are you running. The FXR has setting you can change and its a great ESC right out of the box
Brett B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 09:33 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Electric by comparison to Nitro is more or less plug and play.
There is some variation by brand but essenially you'll need to do the obvious first (hook up the battery and wire in the motor - either by connector or direct soldered)
Then there will be set-up (programming the ESC for High Throttle, Nuetral, high reverse). This is usually as simple as pushig a button and holding for a set period of time (or poering on while holding setup button) and pulling the throttle full forward, full reverse, then nuetral. after that it's set and you're rolling. As I've said this is very generalized as the process varies by manufacturer, but for the most part it's pretty similar.
Both the Receiver and ESC will draw power from the mains battery, no need for seperate battery for the Receiver.
Rockfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 12:18 PM   #4

if your on a budget the lrp esc's are plug and play[no setup etc] and waterproof around $45.00. but if you can afford it the novak rooster crawler it prob the best choice it has a drag brake lipo cuttoff etc usualy $89.00 but well worth it . good luck!
jmcrawler79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 07:54 PM   #5

Hey tnx for the responses :-P

I bought the novak rooster crawler combo which comes with the 55t motor to start off with. read some posts saying it was decent and the LHS's around recomended it aswell.

also picked up the Venom 6-Cell 7.2V 3000mAh NiMH since i saw in one of the reviews someone had used them and i was on somewhat of a budget.

plus I had to figure all this out asap so that i could have all this prior to Xmas so me and my son can be running around the house with them on xmas day.
Old 12-23-2009, 07:57 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

ehh, those venom batteries are hit or miss, most people hate them. Good luck! They are awesome trucks, cool that you can crawl with your son too, I wish my dad was that cool.
madmax22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 08:30 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

I loved my sidewinder, holmes og revolver combo. I would recomend the sidewinder again though
norcallump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 11:44 AM   #8

First off..

My ole man has really tried to keep me doing positive things with hobbies, so MAD PROPS to you on that.

I understand a budget, i built my dad a crawler for his Xmas present. After searching searching searching, i decided to order a Tekin FXR 45t combo from thercshack.com.

WHY
to me its CHEAP for what you get.
A GREAT setup.
Argueable some of the BEST customer service EVER. Tekin is AMAZING, emails, PM's everything. They even answer me back on SUNDAYS.
So you get a GREAT system, a FAIR price, and TONS of support. And believe me good tech support is worth ALOT OF MONEY.

I would NEVER EVER EVER get LRP, reedy, any of it after the way they treated my buddy on some things. They were good with my esc, but it took FOREVER to get fixed.

So what is a good deal? A good product, a good price, and THE BEST support. I think the Tekin FXR will provide you with ease of use, ease of adjustability, and most of all alot of support form fellow members and their tech support.

PS i am not affiliated with them in ANY way.
SpitzerCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 07:21 PM   #9

whelp again all tnx for the responses.

yeah since my son isnt big into sport (which neither and I) I try to get him into some hobbies that i can also enjoy with em. he's 13 now so its time for the RC's. he's getting the creeper and a hpi nitrop savage this year. im hoping he gets into it so we can go crawling and bashing togeather.

wifes getting kids to bed now so gifts are about to go under the tree soon.

tomorrow ill start building the kits and we'll see how it goes.

again tnx all for the responses.
Old 01-31-2010, 01:58 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Hey drunken I'm new to crawlin also. I've run across your name a few times now, we must be asking the same questions. You already have the esc and best as I can tell you made a good choice. (Same as me) The roosters might not be the absolute best but they're simple and effective out of the box. Can't beat that. All this programmable stuff might be great later on but we'll get there!
Bukwylde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 07:22 PM   #11

So now that it been a month. How are things going with the crawlers? Is your son showing interest? Hope you had a great Christmas!
PirateRN is offline   Reply With Quote