Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Venom Creeper

Notices

Thread: Wheel weight question.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2010, 11:26 PM   #1

Default Wheel weight question.

Hey guys I was just wondering if 1 1/4 lbs in the front and 14 oz in the back be to heavy or would that just be just right? And would I need to get a stronger servo because right now I have a spektrum servo that gives 148oz. So if guys could help me out or tell me how much weight your running and what servo it'd be great. Thanks for the help.
mpjl95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-02-2010, 08:34 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Wheel weight is strictly driver preferance, some like a light rig, some like a rig that cant roll if you were to kick it. I am running 6oz per front rim and like 2 1/4oz per rear i think, with air holes drilled.
InFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 09:04 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by InFlames View Post
Wheel weight is strictly driver preferance, some like a light rig, some like a rig that cant roll if you were to kick it. I am running 6oz per front rim and like 2 1/4oz per rear i think, with air holes drilled.

Yep all personal preference.

I have about 1 lb. of weights on each front wheel.
HwnElf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 07:12 PM   #4

I run 7 1/2 oz in each in the front with holes and modded foam and in the back 2 1/2 oz with holes drilled and modded foam, but this all depends on what your crawling on to. I have four sets all with diffenr weights in them but mostly Irun the top set up.
Larkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 08:54 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

My fronts are 1lb 2oz each. Thats tire, foam, wheel, and weight. Never weighed the rears, but I added 8oz each.
GB's 05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 10:30 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Why do guys add weight to the rear? I think everyone would agree that forward weight bias will help climbing abilities, so I can see adding weight to the front.

The only reason I can think to add weight to the rear also would be to lower the overall center of gravity. I'm not really sure why that would be necessary though, as my creeper will stand on the sides of its tires without tipping. That's with a NiMH battery located inside the left side of the chassis.

Weight alone will NOT help you to climb (traction wise), it does however help you break parts.

Edit: For the record, I've got modded foams, vented rims, and 6.5oz of additional weight per front wheel. This gives me right at a 60/40 weight ratio. Seems to work pretty good. It will climb ascents as steep as the tires can get traction anyways (still on stockers).

Last edited by Bray D; 02-02-2010 at 10:33 PM.
Bray D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 10:33 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Let me guess, stock tires? Mine would to until I put on rovers.

Also the only thing I have broken so far is a c-hub when a pin came out.

Last edited by GB's 05; 02-02-2010 at 10:35 PM.
GB's 05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 10:41 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Yep, still rockin the stockers.

Even if the tires would hook up, adding weight to the rear won't help its climbing capabilities.

Weight is the enemy. It breaks things. Pulls shock caps off, breaks link ends, pulls pistons off of shock shafts, etc. Not to mention the additional damage that may occur during a harsh roll.
Old 02-02-2010, 10:49 PM   #9

by adding weight to the rear you not only get a lower cg but when going down a steep hill your ass end wont want to come over the front as easy, but you are also adding weight to your rotating force which can be harder on parts
ncrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 10:53 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncrc View Post
by adding weight to the rear you not only get a lower cg but when going down a steep hill your ass end wont want to come over the front as easy
True, but this is a factor of the weight bias, not just the weight in the rear. The lower CG from the rear weight will help a little, but if you've got a 70/30 setup its going to be just as stable in that sense as any other 70/30 setup; whether you've got no weight on the rear or 2 lbs. May as well rock a 70/30 setup with no weight in the rear and avoid the added stress on parts.
Old 03-10-2010, 08:11 PM   #11

I have 10.5 oz in each front and 5.25 in each rear. Seems to work for me.
imotox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 03:52 AM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Bray D

The only reason I can think to add weight to the rear also would be to lower the overall center of gravity. I'm not really sure why that would be necessary though, as my creeper will stand on the sides of its tires without tipping. That's with a NiMH battery located inside the left side of the chassis.

Weight alone will NOT help you to climb (traction wise), it does however help you break parts.
not neccesarily true! more weight will break parts true! BUT the extra rotational mass on the wheel will give you more traction since traction is thecontact patch of the tyre x tyre friction coefficient x pressure exerted on the contact patch then more weight will give you more pressure hence more grip i think although i run no more than 2 Oz in each of the front wheels and 1 Oz on each rear (not a lot i think) and it helps on grip and sidehill
vtek is offline   Reply With Quote