Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Venom Creeper

Notices

Thread: Creeper roll over?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2010, 04:15 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Creeper roll over?

I put the ckrc stage 2 kit on my creeper, mounted my battery on the front servo and when I get the thing articulated it seems to roll over way easier than when it was stock. Maybe it is my rookie driving or something else. Any thoughts would be greatly approciated!
Jay2380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-2010, 04:47 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

I notice the same thing with mine. Thought it rolled much easier after upgrades.
Hobine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 05:04 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

sounds pretty typical of the CKRC kits, they don't necessarily help your crawler react better, they are just aftermarket strengthening parts for the most part. Normally with that kit, you get A LOT more articulation. perhaps limiting your shocks to limit the articulation would be a good idea. more than 45-50* is too much IMO. Some people like to see their crawler articulate a bunch, but that is not always a good thing. controlled articulation is the key. The Kit may have raised your ground clearance too which may have an effect on your center of gravity.
jcboof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 05:06 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay2380 View Post
I put the ckrc stage 2 kit on my creeper, mounted my battery on the front servo and when I get the thing articulated it seems to roll over way easier than when it was stock. Maybe it is my rookie driving or something else. Any thoughts would be greatly approciated!
with the stage 2 you shoudnt have tt. the hole point is to extend the uper links and lower the cg.....now if you dont have waits in your tires then thst could be your problem.....or if you didnt drill the chassis for the upper links so i hope this helps
colbygosdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 08:53 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by colbygosdin View Post
with the stage 2 you shoudnt have tt. the hole point is to extend the uper links and lower the cg....
All shaft driven vehicles will have torque twist. PERIOD.. the ckrc stage 2 kit is about the worst investment you could have made to reduce TT. Most shaftys with the stage 2 kit have terrible torque twist.

You need to 4 link the front and rear suspension and preload the rear shocks to help "Reduce" TT. Limiting articulation will help reduce tt during articulation too.
jcboof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 09:46 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcboof View Post
All shaft driven vehicles will have torque twist. PERIOD.. the ckrc stage 2 kit is about the worst investment you could have made to reduce TT. Most shaftys with the stage 2 kit have terrible torque twist.

You need to 4 link the front and rear suspension and preload the rear shocks to help "Reduce" TT. Limiting articulation will help reduce tt during articulation too.
i do agree that most shafties do it. the venom is 4 link and the preload thing really never worked for me. i have the stage 2 on my venom and i hardly notice any tt. im not saying the stage 2 is worth the money, because its not. but in the venoms case it does helps the whole vehicle. im not sure about the other stage 2's though like for the axial, they may not help anything. not trying to argue with you just giving my opinion
crawler-kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 09:49 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

I am not experiencing tt. I have that eliminated. It seems with the stage 2 setup when it get side hill or articulated up front the thing will roll over. I have weight in the front tires and my battery is mounted on the front axle.
Jay2380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 11:13 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

Put stiffer springs on your shocks. I use Axials Medium up front and Hard in the rear and it performs great!
Grumpster1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 12:35 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay2380 View Post
I am not experiencing tt. I have that eliminated. It seems with the stage 2 setup when it get side hill or articulated up front the thing will roll over. I have weight in the front tires and my battery is mounted on the front axle.
Main thing is get rid of the venom shocks and put some new ones on it and yes it does help the tt. Be cause you put on the 70mm uper links now when you put longer links on what happens ? It limits the travle and responds slower than the stock ones I don't have the ckrc I made my own based off of it a big part is the location placement of the shocks. My setup leaves them in stock location and I use losi arms to lower cg
colbygosdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 04:24 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

I was just considering getting the stage 2 kit from KCRC but now that i read this i am thinking maybe not. You guys are saying that it is not worth getting it and that it doesnt help out with the tt?
jakedasnake92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 07:02 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakedasnake92 View Post
I was just considering getting the stage 2 kit from KCRC but now that i read this i am thinking maybe not. You guys are saying that it is not worth getting it and that it doesnt help out with the tt?
It worked on mine, but I also replaced the stock shocks with Traxxas Big Bore XXL because I had trouble with the venom shocks, and I put the Losi arms on it to make the shocks sit more vertical for better response. No more torque twist, but I think I may have lost some ground clearance. I am thinking about looking in to ways to raise the ground clearance, but I know when I do that it will also raise COG. Right now I am just happy to be rid of the TT.
mpmackenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 01:06 AM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Doing a "stage II" mod by itself, whether you buy a kit or diy, will not necessarily solve TT problems.
A Stage II is mainly about lowering CG
There are many ways to reduce TT and some are fast fixes and some are longer but no more expensive.

I played with the whole suspension geometry and now have a very cool setup that has near no TT. With a shafty there is always a bit of TT to live with and that occurs when I bind a tire well. Climbs and sidehills without solid binds are fine.
Check my build thread for some ideas.

I still have the original shocks but the front is in droop and the rear is sprung with hardware store springs. 90wt fluid all round.

I will get round to better tires one day.
Simon.O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 07:59 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

is this to much
liquidkool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 08:13 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

if you can pass through the gate with no penalties or a roll over then you good buddy..... love the shocks what is that
sidewaystreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 08:22 PM   #15
Rock Stacker

If you look at the instructions on CKRC's website. It says you have to remove the inner springs from your stock shocks and install 19mm spacers to limit travel of the shock. Creepers have WAY too much articulation. Try limiting the shocks travel. There you go.
CRAZYRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 08:25 PM   #16
Pebble Pounder

only the #1 brand in rc LOSI LCC shocks now have them limited 3/4 rear and 3/8 in the front i had almost 90 degrees now maybe 55-60 degrees (it sure looked kool for a while)

LIQUIDKOOL
THINKFORYOURSELF
liquidkool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 10:09 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidkool View Post
only the #1 brand in rc LOSI LCC shocks now have them limited 3/4 rear and 3/8 in the front i had almost 90 degrees now maybe 55-60 degrees (it sure looked kool for a while)

LIQUIDKOOL
THINKFORYOURSELF
nice.....
sidewaystreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 12:27 PM   #18
Pebble Pounder

Add a spacer to limit how far the shock can extend.
Stock STGII is at 19mm try 21 or 22.
jaggededge is offline   Reply With Quote