Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Venom Creeper

Notices

Thread: Broken Driveshaft Setscrew

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2010, 07:35 PM   #1

Default Broken Driveshaft Setscrew

Howdy,

Noticed my rear driveshaft was a little loose, so tried tightening it up. The setscrew stripped out immediately. I tried using the next size up standard hex, but it just stripped more. Fortunately the shaft came off the pinion. Then i tried using a drill bit to grab it and just run it into the hole for the shaft, but it wouldn't budge. I figured i would drill it out and chase the threads and install a new screw. I now have a nice smooth setscrew sleeve in the hole that won't come out. Any thoughts on the next step? I'm not ready to give up on the shafts just yet, as i like the cvds and don't want to spend big money on the upgrade shafts.

Thanks
NE79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-2010, 11:21 PM   #2

Carefully drill it all the way thru with a 1 size smaller drill bit (2.5mm), it'll practically fall out, though you might need to tap it out.
Then do you self a huge favour and replace all the junky set screws, that come with the kit, with some decent ACCURATE set screws that you can actually tighten without stripping. It'll save you a lot of money and grief.
Itsik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 07:58 AM   #3
RCC Addict

I replaced my set screws with traxxas ones, they are longer and beefier and hold up to some torque from the wrench. However if you do end up upgrading shafts, you can get some all aluminum 3racing shafts for the cr01 for around $15 shipped from ebay.
InFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 10:50 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

3mm tap then replace it with a 3mm setscrew
chuckatruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 09:10 PM   #5

Thanks everyone. Finally got the tap through the shell of the original setscrew. I thought the tap was going to break! After that, the new setscrew went in and tightened up as well as any of the other venom screws did.
NE79 is offline   Reply With Quote