Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Venom Creeper

Notices

Thread: Just bought a Creeper

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2010, 11:21 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Just bought a Creeper

After converting my AX10 into a scaler and having two more scalers (SCX-10 & CC-01) I started to jones for a crawler. I know the creeper has it's problems but for the price I couldn't pass it up. I was on the fence weather or not to get the Green or the Red one and ended up getting the Red one because I wanted a different look (Axial green).

Thanks to RPP Hobby for there amazing price! $104.99

Is there anything I need to know before I start building my kit? Thanks for any heads up before I start the build. I'll post plenty of pictures once I get it in the mail.
Grumpster1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-2010, 11:32 AM   #2
Rock Stacker

Depending on which kit you got, you want to make sure you keep the installation instructions handy, at least the back page that has the CS phone number on it. Do an inventory of your parts before you start the build that way you dont find anything missing half way through. You can also browse through the "tips & tricks" thread that has been stickied. TONS of great information.
CleptoLeptic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 11:34 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleptoLeptic View Post
Depending on which kit you got, you want to make sure you keep the installation instructions handy, at least the back page that has the CS phone number on it. Do an inventory of your parts before you start the build that way you dont find anything missing half way through. You can also browse through the "tips & tricks" thread that has been stickied. TONS of great information.

What do you mean depending on which kit I got? I know some of the first kits released had some missing parts in them but I figured they had all this sorted by now.

Thanks for the heads up I'll check out that section.
Old 01-19-2010, 12:14 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Are the lockers really that bad? Or is it just bad luck?
Old 01-19-2010, 12:23 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I had the first generation of creepers and I had some small issues with half of one drive shaft missing and extremely fragile rod ends but Venom customer service took care of it and I am very happy with it overall!!!
Captaincrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 12:45 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

I hope I get a 2nd generation kit. Maybe RPP is selling them so cheap because they are the 1st generation kits?

Either way I am glad I bought it and RPP rocks!
Old 01-19-2010, 06:10 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

The lockers aren't that bad, but it will make you mad when they unlock on ya.
Go ahead and get fml lockers or jb the spiders. And get some good tires too like some rovers.
ib99rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 07:41 PM   #8

Just ordered the FML lockers. I exploded the spider gears as soon as I put stickier tires. I replaced them and one run out something is wrong again in the front. So I am just waiting for the FML's. Other than that with just a little work I love the truck. My son and brother both have the AX10. the creeper is definately more involved to assemble. I was only missing one link end. of course I had to buy a complete link set to get the one peice. But now I have xtras.
osoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 07:52 PM   #9
RCC Addict

One of the things that is a must is FLM lockers hands down don't waste your time on JB weld, and for $24 a set it's well worth it.

Also if your going to do any type of comping, change the driveshafts.

Last edited by JUSTGOINGSLOW; 01-19-2010 at 07:56 PM.
JUSTGOINGSLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 08:20 PM   #10

Bought my kit from RPP about 3 weeks ago, it was the updated kit and went to gether like a charm. Had 1 screw missing, but I likely dropped it or used it in the wrong place.

As far as the lockers, I don't think they have a real purpose. This is my first crawler, but really don't see the point. Now I am going to have to disassemble to axles to do the permanent lock. There's a thread on how to do this with just a thick C clip made of wire.
Loose Screws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 10:47 PM   #11

my green kit from rpp that I recieved about a week ago, had multiple missing screws and the beadlock wheel screws were fused in and pulled all the material for the threads out whenemoving them to install tires. Those are both trivial if you are handy..

DONT buy a 7 cell 5000 venom pack! it wont fit in the try at all. a 7 cell 4000 did just fine.

Dont get a powerfull brushless without checking the motor can measurements to make sure they are the same as a typ 540 motor, other wise your front shaft will rub on the motor when the front sus cpompresses.

Get a Quality (if you dont have now) hardened small allen head bit set or allen wrench kit.

INSTALL the motor when assembling the trans! dont wait till later! that is a major PITA!

I been having a good time with mine indoors the last 2 days! Its a major storm here in so cali and cant get outside with it, but looking forward to it...
rwkhaussupply is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 12:52 AM   #12

I got mine from RPP and no probs at all even had a few screws left over

take your time with the diffs and put motor in as soon as you can
Firezook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 12:45 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Thanks Guys! I just ordered two FLM creeper Lockers from RCBros. I also just ordered up the electronics and it was more than the kit lol!

I have a Teken 35T & RC4WD 2.4ghz RX laying around at home

Bought:
Novak Rooster Crawler ESC
HiTec HS-5645 Servo
Aluminum HiTec Servo Arm

I plan to run some older MaxAmps saddle packs. Any Ideas for over the front axle mounts? Thanks!
Old 01-20-2010, 02:16 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

I got my kit from RPP and it was the newer version..
jaggededge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 01:00 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Well I got the older kit and I was missing lots of screws and what not but since I have many spare Axial parts laying around I was able to get by with what I had.

It's still a great deal for the price so nevertheless I am happy

Here are a few shot's It's a roller until I get my ESC and Servo in the mail. I did install the motor (35T)

I have one question the transmission sounds kinda geary/whining I am assuming it's normal and will quite up after it's been run a bit.

Thanks for all the advice!
Old 01-21-2010, 09:07 PM   #16

Looks good! I havent had any problems with the diffs. All I did was tighten up the screw in the center of the selector. I think youll be ok. Have fun with it. I personally think its more capable out of the box, than my ax-10 was. Definitly my fav crawler.
BlueLightSpecial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 09:24 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLightSpecial View Post
Looks good! I havent had any problems with the diffs. All I did was tighten up the screw in the center of the selector. I think youll be ok. Have fun with it. I personally think its more capable out of the box, than my ax-10 was. Definitly my fav crawler.
Thanks! Yea I tightened up the screw on my locker as well. I'll post some pictures when it's painted. Going with Red & Black!
Old 01-21-2010, 09:50 PM   #18
Rock Stacker

Check your gear mesh between the trans and motor. Mine was very loud after i built it, so I loosened up the gear mesh a bit and it quieted down alot.
NHcrawlinXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 12:35 AM   #19
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHcrawlinXJ View Post
Check your gear mesh between the trans and motor. Mine was very loud after i built it, so I loosened up the gear mesh a bit and it quieted down alot.
Thanks but to loose is bad as well. It's not binding or anything and I can grab a tire and turn everything with out it binding so I figure it's just a break in thing.
Old 03-18-2010, 02:43 PM   #20
TEAM MODERATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpster1980 View Post
I have many spare Axial parts laying around I was able to get by with what I had.

If it wasn't for the quality Axial parts,your future would have been GRIM wouldn't it grumpGARD.

Last edited by Grizzly4x4; 03-18-2010 at 03:24 PM.
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote