Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Venom Creeper

Notices

Thread: Newb question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2010, 12:44 PM   #1

Default Newb question

Ok guys i am knew to the rc crawling world and i am looking to buy my first rig. I am looking at the venom crepper but i am lost on what motor to buy.
I was looking at this motor esc combo but not shore it will work.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXSFR1&P=SM
I will be running a nimh battery to start with and will later move on to a lipo.
Thanks in advance for the help
rcjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-01-2010, 01:19 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

yeah that motor would work.. a lot of users here run that setup or something very similar. personally i havent gone brushless yet as i am used to brushed motors.. I am using an integy lathe motor and a proboat waterproof esc.. i think it is called the riptide or something.. its a cheaper alternative to brushless.
rcguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 01:42 PM   #3

OK thanks i will look into that. I should also mention that this will only be for bashing so if there is a different motor esc would work i am all ears.
Also i was looking on the venom website and i seen where they sold a remote diff lock. would that be a good up grade.
p.s What is a dig transmission.
Sorry for all the stupid question
Old 06-01-2010, 02:07 PM   #4
smr
Rock Stacker

UI run a Tekin FXR and a Tekin 45T Pro brushed motor. Runs great on 2S and 3S lipos. I think most prefer to swap out remote lockers for a locked diff or a spool. FLM makes nice spool for the creeper. i run them front and rear. take alot of abuse (probably 60+ hrs of bashing on mine). last is a dig, dig allows you to remotely switch from full time 4 wheel drive to front wheel drive only with either locked rears or free wheel rears..(on Venom DIG)., given the nature of the rigs differentials aand espescially when locked the turning radius is very limited so dig allow syou to turn tighter since the rear end wont push the front end through a turn. it also allows you to pull over something instead of pushing which will take weight off the front end and possibly flip you or cause traction loss..Hoepfully this is accurate discription and helps. DIGs are very popular and once you have one and its setup right you will hate not having one...but you can tackle most obstacles with a well set up creeper without dig as well.
smr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 04:57 PM   #5

OK know i understand.
I will have to look into the remote lockers.Sounds like i have more options for motors/esc's than i thought.
Thanks agian for the help
Old 06-01-2010, 05:31 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

I'm running a traxxas xl-5 waterproof esc and a venom fireball 60 turn very cheap and effective it works well for bashing good luck with your choice
Yotaboy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 09:31 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

For the money http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXXFY7&P=7

especially if you are only bashing,,,,
Plenty of power and torque,,much less expensive,,easier repair and cheaper to replace components individually
rmdesignworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 11:10 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

i am running the novak rooster combo (55turn)
i wish i would have went with a 35 t motor and or lipo
that will be the combo eventually in my creeper.
dont get me wrong i dont really dislike the combo
i would like a little more wheel speed though.
rcslsafut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 03:15 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

Default .

Novak Goat 18.5 Brushless
SaxtonSlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 04:41 AM   #10

rather go lipo right from the beginning. Not sure how expensive it is where you are but its worth it. I get like an hour+ run times. With instant torque all the time. Just charging is tricky. And the cut off voltage monitor must be bought....otherwise bye bye lipo.
Just had a look @ that tower hobbies site and you could get a lipo setup for around 200 dollars if you choose wisely. You dont need those super strong batteries that the helicopters use.... goodluck!
BTCrawlerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 12:01 PM   #11

Sounds good. Thanks for the differnt options.
I have looked into the novak 45t.
So as far as the voltage monitor would a esc with a built in lipo protection work. I am thinking heavly about the novak 45t combo and a lipo.
Know as far as a lipo battery what would be a good battery to go for if i was to go with the motor esc combo stated above.
Again thanks for all the help. I would be tottaly lost without you guys.
Old 06-02-2010, 04:29 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcslsafut View Post
i am running the novak rooster combo (55turn)
i wish i would have went with a 35 t motor and or lipo
that will be the combo eventually in my creeper.
dont get me wrong i dont really dislike the combo
i would like a little more wheel speed though.
What size pinion are you running,,Im running a 19t on a 55t.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTCrawlerz View Post
rather go lipo right from the beginning. Not sure how expensive it is where you are but its worth it. I get like an hour+ run times. With instant torque all the time. Just charging is tricky. And the cut off voltage monitor must be bought....otherwise bye bye lipo.
Just had a look @ that tower hobbies site and you could get a lipo setup for around 200 dollars if you choose wisely. You dont need those super strong batteries that the helicopters use.... goodluck!
BTC,,,means a balancer for the charger and you can get a Triton EQ with a built in balancer for around $140. My 3S lipos cost around $30 a pop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcjeeper View Post
Sounds good. Thanks for the differnt options.
I have looked into the novak 45t.
So as far as the voltage monitor would a esc with a built in lipo protection work. I am thinking heavly about the novak 45t combo and a lipo.
Know as far as a lipo battery what would be a good battery to go for if i was to go with the motor esc combo stated above.
Again thanks for all the help. I would be tottaly lost without you guys.
rcjeeper,,for lipo you need an esc with a built in lipo cut off or you need an external lipo cut off like Novak's Smart Stop Lipo cut offs for 2S and 3S depending on the ESC you have.. I run a Novak Rooster Crawler on 3S with Novak Smart Stop 3S cut off cuz the Rooster is only rated for 2S. The warranty was void on my Rooster the second I ran 3S through it but I got it on very good authority a while back that it would handle the voltage but wasnt sold that way because the lipo cut off was only good for 2S. If you run a Rooster with 3S you need one of Novak's Smart Stops' for 3S and set the Rooster for 2S...it will run fine so long as you follow the instructions for the esc and the Smart Stop for set up on lipo's.

Total approximate cost for my lipo set up is $290 which includes the ESC, 2 Lipo's, lipo cut off and the charger with built in balancer. And my set up has been flawless,,I run 1 lipo that is 1300mah and the other is 1350mah. I can run all three courses in a comp on one lipo then run the finals on the second.

ALso,,the Rooster will already handle 2S lipo's from the factory,,you just have to set the throttle profile for 2S. Just follow the instructions.

Last edited by rmdesignworks; 06-02-2010 at 04:35 PM.
Old 06-02-2010, 08:11 PM   #13

Cool thanks. looks like i will be going for the novak rooster crawler esc and 45t motor and for a batt i can get a duratax 7.4v 2500 mah 20c lipo for cheap. As far as a charger i can get one of these chargers
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&P=SM&I=LXXLH3
from a fellow club member for cheap. Would it be suficient for charging that battery? I think it would but I'm not shore.
Hopfully i can get the truck orderd this week and get it built till i have money for the esc and motor.
Between being in college and having a 30% plane and a 40% plane to buy motors and sevos for by next winter i have no money.
Old 06-02-2010, 08:39 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

this is the key ,,,
Multi Function Pro Charger Plus with Balance Block, Traxxas High-
Current Plug, JST Plug, Glow Igniter Plug, Alligator Clip, Futaba
Plug, Tamiya Plug, Extension Wire and USB Wire, AC Power Adapter

REQUIRES: AC/DC power supply

Sounds like it will be just fine,,,make sure you charge at the rating of the pack not the C-rating. pack will last a long time.